Did anyone see the Stanford/Tenn game late last night? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did anyone see the Stanford/Tenn game late last night?

Reaction Score
I was at the Stanford - Tennessee game last night. Both young teams that should grow and improve as the year goes on. Rennia Davis came out hitting shots early, scored 8 quick points, but picked up two fouls in the first five minutes. Tara used the TV timeout to get on her team to clamp down on defense, and after that, the Vols went scoreless for almost 6 minutes. (granted without Davis on the floor. ) As the game wore on, Stanford's superior height and depth proved the difference. (On one possession alone, Stanford blocked 4 shots).
Overall impressions- Stanford should be there in late March-early April. Lots of good bigs, quite a few quality three point shooters, currently playing 9-10 players (not including Carrington who is currently injured). They're the real deal. Their freshman looked good (Jones had a quiet game, but saw her a dozen times in HS. She'll be fine. Prechtel had several blocks and looked very smooth from the 3 point line, Belibi played decent defense, but will have to learn to not foul quite so much)
Tennessee- Kelly has the same players as last year, less Evina and adding Horston and a few other freshman, who is raw but you can see the talent there. Seems a stretch to think that they'll be a factor on the national stage this year, but I'm sure she'll have them playing better as the year goes on. A long cross country trip to play a deep and rested #1 ranked team was always going to be a rough assignment.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the game. Unfortunately it's edited down. It jumped from 10-7 to 22-13. Missed quite a bit of game action there.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching the game...Thanks for the link Wbb.
I came away not so impressed with Stanford's half-court "O."
Seemed to consist of three's or uncontested drives to the hoop...
mid-range game somewhat lacking.
In a funny sort of way, reminds me a bit of DePaul
I know that Tara is expert at disrupting our offense.
I don't think brain surgery is required to disrupt their's.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'll be the first to say that Stanford has never been a mid-range kind of offense, but play-by-play credits Stanford with 7 jumpers, 11 layups, and 11 three point shots, which seems pretty balanced to me, all things considered, esp. since mid-range jumpers are the statistically lowest probability-to-payoff shot of the three kinds.

This comment allows me the opportunity to vent a bit about the scourge of analytics trying to push the mid range game to extinction. It is only logical to me that the best offense is a diversified offense that allows shots at all 3 levels and forces defenses to deal with that variety.

I think the devaluing of the mid range game is self fulfilling as less time is spent at a young age in perfecting that skill. This is particularly annoying to me since I think the mid game is most attractive to me.

The shot has almost been wiped out in the NBA and I think that
is part of the reason viewership #'s are declining. Less diverse games are less interesting.

Reaction Score
TheFarmFan, does Stanford have a freshman anywhere near as good as Breanna Stewart? I don't know. I haven't had a chance to watch Stanford play this year.

Reaction Score
Wilson is a senior. Belibi is the other frosh. I agree that the Stanford frosh are ready to play now.
Their frosh tend to blend well within the Stanford team concept. Not just a set of individual talents. Worth watching future year's recruiting classes to project their already positive future.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
I was at the game, Stanford looked good, real good. Their defense, particularly in the paint, was OUTSTANDING!! Prechtel (#11) held her own against a much talker and athletic TN center (Key), and not just for a possession or two, she did is all night. TN just could not get their inside game going...
In the second half, TN started 3/4 press with some strong on ball pressure and mid court traps, which Stanford adjusted to and ultimately handled quite nicely.
Stanford offense was beautiful!! When TN aggressively defended the 3 pt line, they backdoor cut to basket or take defender off dribble (ala Kiana Williams)! When TN played tight man, Stanford drove to basket and kick out to open shooter on perimeter. Those possessions looked "UConn-eqest" and were VERY efficient.
Don't read too much into the last 5 min of the game, TN was mentally on the bus headed to the airport (ie lot's frustration fouls, lack of movement / urgency / focus, etc) ...
TN will be fine, Davis and Horston impressed. Stanford is the real deal, I would LOVE to see them play UConn this (and every) year... hopefully the series will resume soon.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Stanford won the NC? 1992.
Never say never, it took ND quite a while to make their 2nd run. Maybe stanford can do it this year, I don’t see much chance for them after this year , however.

Reaction Score
Stanford is the real deal, I would LOVE to see them play UConn this (and every) year... hopefully the series will resume soon.

Stanford is definitely a really good basketball team, but trust me, you don't want any part of UConn over the next 6 years!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This comment allows me the opportunity to vent a bit about the scourge of analytics trying to push the mid range game to extinction.

I totally agree with you. Some players are deadly in that 10-15 foot range. Why not take those when they are open instead of contested shots in the lane or just chucking 3's? Almost everybody has 3 point range, but many many players are not accurate behind the arc.

Reaction Score
I watched the game... If Tennessee had any semblance of an offense they would be won that game easily. They are challenged on the perimeter and they're not much better in the paint when a team can challenge their height. Very ugly basketball! Go Huskies!
I will tell you ( unrelated ) that I saw Duke vs South Carolina on TV. Duke looked awful. South Carolina has lots of talent ( best recruiting class.... now freshmen), but Duke looks like they don't belong. How times do change.

Reaction Score
Stanford is definitely a really good basketball team, but trust me, you don't want any part of UConn over the next 6 years!
Likely true, but let's deal one year at a time. Stanford, and others, are all getting better. The pool of talent is exploding. Finally. There will be lot of match-ups that everyone wants to see. And that was not true 5 years ago, where only one or two drew real interest.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
TheFarmFan, does Stanford have a freshman anywhere near as good as Breanna Stewart? I don't know. I haven't had a chance to watch Stanford play this year.

Breanna Stewart is a once in a generation (or at least a decade) monster talent...there is no frosh on Stanford on the same page.

To compare historically, you have to be speaking of Chamique, Dianna, Maya, Candace and the like...perhaps Sabrina will come close to attaining that status.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I will tell you ( unrelated ) that I saw Duke vs South Carolina on TV. Duke looked awful. South Carolina has lots of talent ( best recruiting class.... now freshmen), but Duke looks like they don't belong. How times do change.

I thought this thread was about Stanford and TN ? Head bang

Reaction Score
Tennessee’s offense and defense were horrendous. I think that Princeton might have given Stanford a better game than Tennessee did—Carla Berube has her team playing smart basketball. Bella Alarie and Carlie Littlefield are good players.

Reaction Score
Stanford took a ton of open shots. I can't tell if they would get rattled with some real pressure on them, because Tennessee didn't give them much. UConn's defense is so much more aggressive than Tennessee's. And with Liv in the middle, Stanford might lose the nerve to do a little of everything like they were able to do against the Vols. I think we're better. We might get a surprise championship this year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
NOBODY ever has had a freshman as good as Stewie! Griner comes the closest due how she could and did impact a game. But even she could not do was Stewie could do.
I was impressed with how Stanford played this game against Tenn. The team is playing better with all the new faces and injuries they’ve had with players coming back. I am not so sure I agree with Tenn being more athletic either. Kiana was the best player on the floor and saying Horston was raw was kind. She did not play likeminded this “stud” player that all the LV fans were touting. Haley Jones continues to look better game by game. That said, she is not close to Stewie, more like Christyn Williams was last year, picking her spots and flashes of talent.

Reaction Score
I watched the game. It struck me that Stanford was very good, good enough to finish third, even second in PAC-12.

Reaction Score
I watched the game... If Tennessee had any semblance of an offense they would be won that game easily. They are challenged on the perimeter and they're not much better in the paint when a team can challenge their height. Very ugly basketball! Go Huskies!

I watched the game and was disturbed that TN, even late in the game was still trying to feed the post when Stanford knew it was coming. Screens, picks, pick and rolls seem foreign to this TN team. Their team height should have paid dividends in the rebounding department. It didn't. It came down to shooting %, 20+% doesn't do it. Stanford can be beat.

Reaction Score
Never say never, it took ND quite a while to make their 2nd run. Maybe stanford can do it this year, I don’t see much chance for them after this year , however.
Huh? Why don't you see them getting better next year? Have you looked at their roster. Most of their players return next year.

Reaction Score
I think the assumption is the Messiah also known as Paige Bueckers, coupled with the rest of their recruiting class, will mean the Huskies will be the presumptive favorites over the next 3-4 seasons, which coincides with Tara's recent big recruiting hauls. I'm not sure I entirely disagree, but it relies on assumptions about health, transfers, etc., that are always hard to predict years out.
Assumptions aside, no team is going to roll Stanford next year. Stanford only improves.

Reaction Score
For those who seem skeptical of Stanford's offense, I'd encourage you to watch these breakdowns by Fran Fraschilla - clearly some people are more impressed by Tara's offensive schemes than some of the Boneyarders...

Nice video but I'll wager Tara has a defense that can counter it. Looking at it with admitted ignorance I keep seeing a defender guarding no one while the shooter in the corner is alone. Someone isn't rotating. This is as much a failure of the defense as it is a great play for the offense. All systems come down to execution.

And you can't blame UConn fans for their focus on Tara's defensive schemes. That's what has led to their loses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom