Did anyone notice this? | The Boneyard

Did anyone notice this?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
You did!
Do I win a prize? :p

Reaction Score
I'm curious if the espn announcer sue bird brings the not on the air sue bird. I hope so, I've never heard her call a game before.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sue is one of my favorite listens and brings great insight especially when she calls UConn games. Love her comments on Crystal.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Her analyst skills are a work in progress, some good, some great, some too much blather. To be fair, she hasn’t focused on this due to her longevity as a player. When and if she focuses on announcing, she could be good given her understanding of the game. Like anything, being great takes time.

Reaction Score
I only got to watch and listen to the second half. Thought the announcers (including Sue) were telling interesting stories but ignoring the game too much. I like to know who is going into the game, who just scored, etc. It wasn't always easy to tell - especially with the feed issues! Pretty typical these days. I seem to always wish they would tell one person to call the game and interrupt the stories if necessary.

Reaction Score
I only got to watch and listen to the second half. Thought the announcers (including Sue) were telling interesting stories but ignoring the game too much. I like to know who is going into the game, who just scored, etc. It wasn't always easy to tell - especially with the feed issues! Pretty typical these days. I seem to always wish they would tell one person to call the game and interrupt the stories if necessary.
I couldn't agree with you more! Enough with the stats and small talk...Call the game!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You're right on.

Ms. Greene did way too much blathering on instead of calling the game. Some players were in the game for a while before being recognized. And there should have been more attention paid to who the foul was on and how many that was.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As a viewer my interest/attention can start to drift when there is a 40 or 50 point margin in a game. I think commentators are not immune to that.

Reaction Score
This was not a UConn telecast where the announcers keep into what UConn is doing no matter what the score. National games on ESPN/CBS tend to assume they need to entertain the viewers when the game gets out of hand so that people don't go elsewhere. I didn't know if it was a DirecTV issue or ESPN but the feed was awful. I wonder if the distracting floor made it hard for the cameras to sync. Got to admit Geno - this game was much easier to watch :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, the feed was bad. At one point I thought I saw the hand of God reach down from the sky and place a soft drink on the baseline. Turns out it was a combination of 2 images and it was actually just a fan in the stands. Can honestly say I've never seen that during a broadcast before.

Reaction Score
Whoever was responsible for play by play did a terrible job. Too much analyzing and not enough play calling. I turned off the sound and put Bob Joyce on in 4th quarter.Like to know who scored. Would like to see Sue Bird on games with Eric Frede. She did have great comments. Sue would be perfect for SNY. I’m just tired of Meghan telling us what “she thinks” Geno is saying or thinking. I want some incite on the team that Sue had. Think Meghan’s been out of the game for years and just does about 10 or 11
games a year. Sue has been in WNBA and an elite athlete and doesn’t giggle.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Players were in and out of the game with no mention from the announcers. They were two busy yakking.

And way too much Chatty Cathy from Bird. It sounded more like two people having a conversation over drinks in a bar.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Who scored, how many points in the game, who had the assist (if any) and how many assists for the game, who fouled, how many fouls for that player, how many team fouls that makes, etc.

It ain't brain surgery folks, it's just common sense and consideration for your audience. That one today was a crass amateur. :mad:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, that was a pretty bad teaming of announcer and color person. When Sue chose to tell us how she still gets nervous when CD makes an appearance when Sue is practicing at the Werth and Greene fell all over her reciting Sue's many accolades I hit the mute button.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom