Did anyone else notice this? | The Boneyard

Did anyone else notice this?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Though I was having a major brain fart. At 4:46 of the 2nd quarter Marina Mabrey fouls Napheesa Collier on a made basket and the points are actually put on the score board. 39 to 34. UCONN comes out of the time out and Napheesa is not shooting the and one and the points are actually taken off the score board. The refs must have decided during the timeout that the foul was on the floor but clearly it was not.

1543853042257.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Though I was having a major brain fart. At 4:46 of the 2nd quarter Marina Mabrey fouls Napheesa Collier on a made basket and the points are actually put on the score board. 39 to 34. UCONN comes out of the time out and Napheesa is not shooting the and one and the points are actually taken off the score board. The refs must have decided during the timeout that the foul was on the floor but clearly it was not.

View attachment 37016

Everyone was puzzled by that and no explanation from the broadcasters.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

View attachment 37016

The ref who made the call clearly gestures immediately that the foul was on the floor. It's a bit hard to see on TV because he's at the very corner of the screen.

Think it was just the mistake of whoever was operating the TV scoreboard. The refs never actually counted those points.

Reaction Score
There were several instances during the game that were "Unexplained" by the distracted announcers. ND took three foul shots, we took one....there must have been lane violations, but not one explanation.
The "Gabfast" between the announcers were more than noticable yesterday...(as well as the V Foundation Promos)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The ref who made the call clearly gestures immediately that the foul was on the floor. It's a bit hard to see on TV because he's at the very corner of the screen.
Think it was just the mistake of whoever was operating the TV scoreboard. The refs never actually counted those points.
Just looked at the replay a couple of times. ~3:00 mark of video. The ref raises his hand for foul and then does a downward motion. I agree with you that he was pointing at the floor. That downward motion might have added to the confusion because that could have indicated that the basket was good. Dee is also in a much better position (on the baseline) to make that call. Lastly the Mabrey foul was when Pheesa was on the way up to shoot.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There were several instances during the game that were "Unexplained" by the distracted announcers. ND took three foul shots, we took one....there must have been lane violations, but not one explanation.
The "Gabfast" between the announcers were more than noticable yesterday...(as well as the V Foundation Promos)
Three shots were awarded because Napheesa came off the floor, and Liv onto the floor, at the wrong time.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Everyone was puzzled by that and no explanation from the broadcasters.

Broadcasters? Broadcasters? No! Yes to chitchatters, babblers, blathers, etc. But not professional broadcasters. Actually if the would just dump Lobo I think it would be much better. She acts like an immature juvenile. She has no concept of how to announce a game. However, I must admit Espn probably tells them to entertain the audience. This is why only the E in Espn should be capitalized.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Broadcasters? Broadcasters? No! Yes to chitchatters, babblers, blathers, etc. But not professional broadcasters. Actually if the would just dump Lobo I think it would be much better. She acts like an immature juvenile. She has no concept of how to announce a game. However, I must admit Espn probably tells them to entertain the audience. This is why only the E in Espn should be capitalized.
Woe ...! Rebecca is fine. Kara is fine. The one that needs to find the unemployment line is Adam Amin.

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Maybe they were a little shocked and they had to throw out their expected talking points.

Reaction Score
Woe ...! Rebecca is fine. Kara is fine. The one that needs to find the unemployment line is Adam Amin.
Versus their peers in women's basketball, all three are world class. Watch a lot of women's basketball and not sure where announcers come from but most could go back and take Basketball 101. Lobo and Kara together offer strong insight.

Reaction Score
Perhaps they offer strong insight but they rattle on relentlessly. Even my wife who is very much a Lawson & Lobo fan at one point blurted out, "shut up!" (to the TV... and she used no curse words! ;))

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just looked at the replay a couple of times. ~3:00 mark of video. The ref raises his hand for foul and then does a downward motion. I agree with you that he was pointing at the floor. That downward motion might have added to the confusion because that could have indicated that the basket was good. Dee is also in a much better position (on the baseline) to make that call. Lastly the Mabrey foul was when Pheesa was on the way up to shoot.

I am enjoying these episodes where we are analyzing the video for fouls etc. Not that I care that much about it but it gives me another excuse to replay the highlights. :)

Reaction Score
I've re watched the game and overall I found the announcers to be very good. Yet there were times they did not explain what happened in cases like those above. I think part of the reason was that they had no clue either! The officials were in general good but made no attempt to involve the announcers in any of their decisions some of which were baffling. It appears that the technical foul that they said was on the bench was actually on Arike and was her second in a very short period of time. She went to the bench but no one said if she was taken out by MM or because of the technical.

MM should have taken her out after the uncalled first flagrant so she would be available in crunch time but did not. Apparently her scoring ability which is fantastic was more important to MM than getting her head back in the game. Arike is a fantastic player that lost control. Bench should have helped her regain it before something bad happened.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Between the pushing of the JimmyV fundraising (noble fund, but not at the expense of the game please), the redoing of last year's semi-final call (geesh, enough already) and other promos, I felt like there was a lot more garble coming out than normal. There was a nice discourse between Kara and Rebecca on one element (I think it was defenders keeping hands up and avoiding reaching over), but that was an exception. I enjoy both Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson: Kara's commentary is getting punchier (perhaps due to her constant work on the pros?) and I appreciate that. Liked the input on C. Williams play on the national team (not the big scorer, but always a huge contributor).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

View attachment 37016
Yes I noticed : I chalked it up to a terrible memory and blurred vision (not me the refs).
There were a number of in game hicups from the refs. However, from past contests at ND this one was about the best. The normal jumping into players didn't work. I thought a foul or 2 on ND were either questionable or better to let go, the same was true of some fouls on UConn.

Reaction Score
This was potentially the highlight game of the non-championship season. The best officials were assigned. Yes some things were not clear to the announcers or because of that the viewers. The coaches knew what was going on and neither complained more than usual. It seems the officials job is to call a game that the fans of both sides feel favored the opposite team got the best calls. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Im guessing here, but if the 3 foul shots you're referring to were taken by Sheppard, I wondered myself about that. Perhaps it was because Nelson- Ododa subbed in to early for Collier and interrupted the foul shots, hence they gave her 2 more.

Reaction Score
The only thing I noticed was towards the end of the second quarter, Pheesa was driving the lane... Maybre flopped all over the place and threw herself on the floor, Pheesa then received a foul... Every time I watch ND play, Mabrey is flopping... It's very annoying, and sad... If she makes it on a WNBA team, she won't have to flop... because she'll actually get hit lol....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom