Did Ania Step In It With Phee | The Boneyard

Did Ania Step In It With Phee

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"She is also aware that freshman Anna Makurat from Poland will wear her uniform No. 24 this coming season.
And Collier is fine with that.

“She did not ask me, but she better fill my 24,” Collier said with a smile."

Sort of a regurg article on Phee's rookie experience. WNBA not so easy for Collier

But seriously, I suspect in her heart of hearts Phee is a little ticked that Ania did not observe the proprieties on this. Phee strikes me as a proprieties girl. After all there are smiles and then there are smiles:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I doubt Phee is ticked. If Geno had felt Ania needed to call Phee and ask permission, I'm sure he would have given her that direction.

Phee is a beast monster on the court, but she struck me as soft spoken, thoughtful, kind and compassionate in person. I have hard time picturing her being ticked, unless it's more or less a UCONN requirement for new players to call past players to ask permission...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I doubt Phee is ticked. If Geno had felt Ania needed to call Phee and ask permission, I'm sure he would have given her that direction.

Phee is a beast monster on the court, but she struck me as soft spoken, thoughtful, kind and compassionate in person. I have hard time picturing her being ticked, unless it's more or less a UCONN requirement for new players to call past players to ask permission...
I think it is more or less an unwritten rule, but I can certainly understand if knowledge of that custom has not yet crossed the Atlantic Ocean.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
No. No she didn’t.

It’s not like this is high school and Phee was absent the day they handed out uniforms, but someone let Anna come take “her number” anyways.

Makurat choosing 24 is a non-issue.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Really.....you a mind reader? Or just looking to be provocative.

Just looking to have a little fun. Criminey! BTW it is a UConn custom to ask the last wearer of the number if your wearing it is okay, in case you weren't aware of that. Lordy.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I thought this custom applied only to Huskies of Honor.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Pheesa is a Husky of Honor.
Right. So Anna should have asked. Put another way, I didn't understand the custom to be that you had to ask any player for permission to use the number.

Reaction Score
I don't understand either. Unless your number is retired, I don't see why there would be any restrictions on wearing it.
I wanna see some former player say, "No." :p:p

Some professional baseball players have asked for large $$ (like $50,000) to give up their number when a star who wears their number gets traded to their team and wants to have that number. So, for instance, if UConn already had a #22 and Westbrook was asked to pay for it, would that be a violation of the previous #22's amateur status?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, did Molly give Sue a call when she chose 10?

I mean, no one wore it the 14 seasons between Molly's freshman year and Sue's senior year...

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, did Molly give Sue a call when she chose 10?

I mean, no one wore it the 14 seasons between Molly's freshman year and Sue's senior year...
Yes Molly asked Sue - in person...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Yes Molly asked Sue - in person...

Good to know. Thanks.

It said CD told her to ask. Did someone tell Anna?

Reaction Score
I wanna see some former player say, "No." :p:p

Some professional baseball players have asked for large $$ (like $50,000) to give up their number when a star who wears their number gets traded to their team and wants to have that number. So, for instance, if UConn already had a #22 and Westbrook was asked to pay for it, would that be a violation of the previous #22's amateur status?

I think Maya asked Greene if she could wear #32 and Greene didn’t give it up, not a no but kind of a no.

Reaction Score
Really.....you a mind reader? Or just looking to be provocative.
LOL you haven't figured out that Rocky's threads are click bait? In any case, I'll bet not every player has phoned the previous wearer of a jersey and asked to wear the number. The whole thing is silly anyway. It's just a uniform number and there are only so many available in basketball.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
It's just a uniform number and there are only so many available in basketball.

And for UConn one can assess that right now there are a maximum of 33 numbers available.

Based on past events, we can assume that the numbers 0 and 1 are taken off the board by Geno. The only number "retired" so far is Lobo's 50. So of the typical max 36 available, that leaves 33.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom