Dickie V random rant on UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dickie V random rant on UConn

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You make a very good counterpoint, and yes, it was convenient to only go back to the last seven years, however, in the last 7 years for men's basketball, we have seen 2 national championships, which was the basis for comparison. I am fully aware that the new Big East is not the same conference we were once a part of from a competition standpoint, but from a recruiting and geographic standpoint, it absolutely is. My concern with the whole issue at hand is what our likely options are at this point. Holding out hope for an invite to the ACC, Big 10, or Big 12, seems less likely than getting an invitation to the new Big East.

Since I'm only trying to look at this from an economical standpoint, the most money that the athletic department can likely generate would be going independent for football and trying to schedule the likes of Alabama, OSU, Auburn, Clemson, etc., and securing the basketball teams in a more logical geographic conference that has more natural and existing rivalries (Providence, St. John's, Villanova). The change for basketball would almost immediately see an increase in ticket revenues from the last two seasons, because let's face it, no one wants to watch this team play ECU on a Wednesday night. I'll be honest, I don't know the TV contract dollars in the American versus the new Big East.
Going independent makes it very hard to schedule anyone in football never mind the heavyweights and if you do it's most likely not a reciprocal home and home.
Going independent will hurt recruitment. The AAC is becoming a very respected football league and being so, it will allow UConn to attract much better talent and when they do schedule a heavyweight can compete better.
Playing those big boys with an independent recruitment squad and you become home game beat the crap out a team fodder and playing for less revenue because of that. In addition most teams will play their first team for 1 quarter so you are going against the subs and fans will leave.
Yes basketball makes more sense but in the long run it only makes sense to allow UConn to grow in football because that's where the big bucks lie - fair or not fair - it is what it is.
The P5s will have a new reorg in a few years (2021 I think but may be wrong) and if UConn football has improved, I feel a P5 or what ever they will classify them, will be at the door step.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You make a very good counterpoint, and yes, it was convenient to only go back to the last seven years, however, in the last 7 years for men's basketball, we have seen 2 national championships, which was the basis for comparison. I am fully aware that the new Big East is not the same conference we were once a part of from a competition standpoint, but from a recruiting and geographic standpoint, it absolutely is. My concern with the whole issue at hand is what our likely options are at this point. Holding out hope for an invite to the ACC, Big 10, or Big 12, seems less likely than getting an invitation to the new Big East.

Since I'm only trying to look at this from an economical standpoint, the most money that the athletic department can likely generate would be going independent for football and trying to schedule the likes of Alabama, OSU, Auburn, Clemson, etc., and securing the basketball teams in a more logical geographic conference that has more natural and existing rivalries (Providence, St. John's, Villanova). The change for basketball would almost immediately see an increase in ticket revenues from the last two seasons, because let's face it, no one wants to watch this team play ECU on a Wednesday night. I'll be honest, I don't know the TV contract dollars in the American versus the new Big East.
So you cherry picked an arbitrary period that stops conveniently at a recent BBall natty but excludes the bulk of bowl games? :rolleyes:

"Trying to schedule the likes of Alabama, OSU, Auburn, Clemson, etc?" Do you have any idea how impossible that would be? Hey I'm all in for independence as soon as you sign up these games.

You talk about economics and then suggest the new Big East. The new Big East make only a few million more per school than the American does. A move there really doesn't help us much financially. A may not help at all after the American gets its new deal.

The P5, other other hand, make $23M-$33M per school:
  1. SEC: $32.6 million
  2. Big Ten: $32.4 million
  3. ACC: $25.8 million
  4. Pac-12: $25.1 million
  5. Big 12: $23.4 million
The schools of the G5 simply aren't going to be able to keep up with the spending of the P5.

Keep in mind on the Big East TV deal, fox games have incredibly low ratings. That lack of exposure will be costly overtime. Also while there are some eastern schools Xavier, Butler, Creighton, Marquette and DePaul aren't exactly bus rides.

The Big East isn't salvation; it's surrender. We may end up there but that is pretty close to worst case scenario for us.

Reaction Score
he said the same thing in the syracuse @ duke game a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately at this time only one sport matters in college, and it isn't basketball or hockey or baseball. Have to try and make it to a P5 football conference. The Big East might be something in basketball but that will only get them so far for so long. If anything Villanova and Xavier should try to turn there basketball luck into football success, in the end that is the only thing that will get you paid.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

How is the NBE the same as the old geographically? They lost WVU, Rutgers, Syracuse and Pitt, replaced by Butler, Xavier, and Creighton, the latter in freakin' Nebraska. It's somewhat better than the AAC, but not by that much. Other than Providence and St. John's, you have to get on a plane to go everywhere else. So you save on two bus rides. Big deal.

The TV money really isn't all that different between the AAC and NBE. With the revenue football can generate, such as the 1.2 million dollar payday to give up the home game last saeson vs. BS College, we can easily surpass the revenue we'd make in the NBE. Also, TV dollars mean everything, and our exposure on TV is far greater in the AAC. FOX' s TV ratings for NBE basketball are abysmal. Nobody cares nationally about a bunch of small catholic schools with small alumni bases. They're losing against women's games scheduled for the same time slots in viewership.

Going independent in football immediately turns us into UMASS. That's the future we'd have to look forward to...total irrelevance locally and nationally.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The economic argument does not hold water. Let's say playing in the New Big East would attract 3k more fans per game for 7 games at $30 per ticket. That adds up to a ~$630k per year increase in ticket sales. I would argue that you could sell the same amount of tickets just by having a winning team. The difference in the TV contracts between the NBE and AAC is marginal right now and I think the new AAC contract should be higher than what the NBE is making now. NCAA credits favor the NBE right now, but I think the AAC can deliver comparable revenues in the future. This year, the AAC has more Top 25 teams (3) than the NBE (2).

The biggest economic impact would be the potential to get a P5 bid which would lead to much higher revenues. Joining the NBE would take the P5 opportunity off the table.

Reaction Score
Dickie is just nostalgic and why wouldn't he be? We are going into tournament week with our fanbase firmly on it's duff instead of planning trips to the conference tourney in NYC with all that goes with it. It may screw us for football but the NBE might actually get us some of the recruiting talent we've been craving.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
So you cherry picked an arbitrary period that stops conveniently at a recent BBall natty but excludes the bulk of bowl games? :rolleyes:

"Trying to schedule the likes of Alabama, OSU, Auburn, Clemson, etc?" Do you have any idea how impossible that would be? Hey I'm all in for independence as soon as you sign up these games.

You talk about economics and then suggest the new Big East. The new Big East make only a few million more per school than the American does. A move there really doesn't help us much financially. A may not help at all after the American gets its new deal.

The P5, other other hand, make $23M-$33M per school:
  1. SEC: $32.6 million
  2. Big Ten: $32.4 million
  3. ACC: $25.8 million
  4. Pac-12: $25.1 million
  5. Big 12: $23.4 million
The schools of the G5 simply aren't going to be able to keep up with the spending of the P5.

Keep in mind on the Big East TV deal, fox games have incredibly low ratings. That lack of exposure will be costly overtime. Also while there are some eastern schools Xavier, Butler, Creighton, Marquette and DePaul aren't exactly bus rides.

The Big East isn't salvation; it's surrender. We may end up there but that is pretty close to worst case scenario for us.

Agreed, except I don't think the TV contract dollar differential is that much per school. I think it's closer to 1 million per school in favor of the NBE. However, their rights deal comes up for renegotiation fairly soon, and their ratings suck, so they are likely to take a hit in the present economic climate. Also, our Tier 3 rights can potentially eclipse any short term differential. Our women's program is still a cash cow. Add the occasional football road payday games like the one in Boston last year and we smoke every NBE team in revenue generated.

Reaction Score
or...we win the AAC, carry a 20+ record and are ranked in the top 10 to 20, make the NCAA and makes some runs....
this. i've been saying this since we joined the aac. we have to act like Gonzaga and turn Cincinnati into a Saint Mary's/BYU. Now that Wichita State is here AND we are struggling... well... you know.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I wish we could put the BEAST back together, it's not the same today and the tournament's not the same.

We have friends who live and work in the city, they seek out all forms of entertainment. They told us they're going to the BET this year, for the first time ever, because tickets are so cheap. That can't be the BET I remember

Reaction Score
You cannot discount the conference bowl $$$ which are split up among the conference. Football drives the bus. The FB program does a terrible job marketing the program. Diaco had us all fooled when they Huskies beat Houston and went to a bowl game. I thought he was a big time catch for the program. Hmmmm...MAYBE I should rethink my "keep Ollie" stance. Just kiding. What would a thread on the Yard be without debating whether Ollie stays or goes.

Reaction Score
Spot on. When people say we should be in the Big East, they are envisioning us playing Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers, ND. Those teams aren’t there.

Dude. Did you really say Rutgers and Notre Dame? So all of the sudden Connecticut has more affinity to Rutgers and Notre Dame than with the five original Big East members stayed (Georgetown, Villanova, SH, SJU, Providence). And do you really want to be in the same conference with the toilet bowl Pittsburgh has become? The only point you have is Syracuse.

If Connecticut rejoins the Big East it will have 6/9 of the original members. What more can we ask?

Obviously we have the football issue holding us back...

Reaction Score
I wish we could put the BEAST back together, it's not the same today and the tournament's not the same.

We have friends who live and work in the city, they seek out all forms of entertainment. They told us they're going to the BET this year, for the first time ever, because tickets are so cheap. That can't be the BET I remember

Hm. Could you please ask them how they got those cheap tickets because I been looking for SF/F and I'm priced out with $150+ tickets left?

Fortunately my job hooked me up with QF and I was able to get 1R tickets on my own.

Reaction Score
UCONN is most likely never getting into P5, AAC is never going to be P6. No one on my circle of UCONN fans really care about UCONN football. Yes, many jumped on the bandwagon when the program started and few years ago when we got into the Fiesta bowl. Many do really care about the basketball program and are concerned. Not sure where we go from here, but those are the facts as I see it.

Keep in mind I'm 40 and was into my 20's and on with my life when UCONN got a div 1 football team.

Reaction Score
UCONN is most likely never getting into P5, AAC is never going to be P6.

Keep in mind I'm 40 and was into my 20's and on with my life when UCONN got a div 1 football team.
AAC + NBE + "P5" = p7. Saying otherwise, even if untrue (which it is not) hurts Uconn (and the aac) so why say otherwise? Just promote the P7. At least for Bball. Don't watch much Fball so maybe it is just the p5 instead of p6 in fball...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Hm. Could you please ask them how they got those cheap tickets because I been looking for SF/F and I'm priced out with $150+ tickets left?

Fortunately my job hooked me up with QF and I was able to get 1R tickets on my own.

I don't know where they bought the tickets, but I do know $ 150 was chump change back in the day. And I'm talking from 7 to 27+ years ago

UConnNick

Reaction Score
AAC + NBE + "P5" = p7. Saying otherwise, even if untrue (which it is not) hurts Uconn (and the aac) so why say otherwise? Just promote the P7. At least for Bball. Don't watch much Fball so maybe it is just the p5 instead of p6 in fball...

Calling the NBE and AAC part of a mythical "P7" for BB is total nonsense. They're both mid majors from a monetary standpoint. The P5's get several times as much revenue from TV contracts than any teams in the NBE or AAC, and money is all that matters.

Reaction Score
Calling the NBE and AAC part of a mythical "P7" for BB is total nonsense. They're both mid majors from a monetary standpoint. The P5's get several times as much revenue from TV contracts than any teams in the NBE or AAC, and money is all that matters.

That's dumb.

There is a difference in the competitive structure in football vs every other sport. The CFP is a farce.

The AAC and NBE send multiple teams and are capable of winning (and have won) National Championships in every other sport. That's not mid major.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
That's dumb.

There is a difference in the competitive structure in football vs every other sport. The CFP is a farce.

The AAC and NBE send multiple teams and are capable of winning (and have won) National Championships in every other sport. That's not mid major.

We'll see what happens when the P5 conference teams split from the rest of the NCAA schools and either form their own division or just bolt to form their own governing body. Something tells me that none of the current NBE/AAC schools are going along for that ride, unless they get invited to join the big boys club before that happens. It's all about the $$$...who's got it and who doesn't.

Reaction Score
More fundamentally, the Big East that he and others want us to go back to doesn't exist anymore. Some are in the ACC, some are in the AAC and the rest, most of whom don't have football, formed a new conference with the old name.

It's as close to the old Big East as Dead & Company is to the Grateful Dead. In other words, it's not.
What, you don’t remember our big rivalries with Xavier and Creighton?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Merge the AAC and NBE. First mega conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom