Diarra? | The Boneyard

Diarra?

Reaction Score
What's the timetable on his return? I think Yakwe will be ready to go when the season starts.

Reaction Score
Officially January, but Hurley said recently that Diarra is moving well and might be ahead of schedule (December).

It’s not fair to expect him to become UConn’s Langevine overnight, but he’s as close as our frontcourt will get to that mold.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yakwe is supposed to be ready for the opener.

Diarra is definitely out for the first month of the season. Originally, the prognosis was four to six months from mid-July.

Reaction Score
If healthy and anywhere near what I saw in his freshman year Yakwe may be our best bet for the guy who makes a difference. Diarra certainly showed some things when finally given the opportunity but we still lost on defense most of the time. But motor wise and athletically he and Yakwe are very similar.

Carlton started, he looked the same to me (it's one game though so we can hopefully see a change for everyone). Not an awful option but not a huge impact. He isn't quick enough to make that impact, doesn't get to spots on defense when needed nor does he elevate enough to get his hands on numerous rebounds. Still room for him to grow and even this year.

Whaley who I like is still the kid who is extremely athletic, great feet but has no idea on offense unless its a follow up outback or an alley oop. He can defend though and block some shots so he is the most steady of all the bigs right now. Of all he's the one who boxed out on occasion, but still not 100%.

Cobb had some moments. Is a very good outlet passer, can use his body to get tot he basket so he will get his time. He still seems a bit slow in the help side of D and should move his feet to get in position rather than sit back waiting to block shots (although he got a couple I think).

Polley is not ready to be the 4 because we need our 4 to get 4-6 boards. He was bigger than anyone in their lineup and didn't get a rebound in traffic. We know he can shoot so he will get his time but he needs to rebound and be able to drop it on the floor on occasion while taking someone to the hoop.

Williams is a crazy option but one that you can be sure will be throwing his body around. He may be out of place when doing so but we know he's going to go after the ball at 100%. He's not a educated hoopster but the kid mixes it up and is tough. May gain some attention from the staff as they like the toughness.

This team will live and die with the guards. Alterique was great, Brendan Adams looks like he will be special at some point of his Husky career, CV is the same guy works hard needs to be under control but a player, Jalen will need to figure it out but we know he's going to have a solid year hopefully even more than that and Tarin was very impressive on both ends of the court filling the stat sheet showing experience and toughness.

I am a bit concerned with Al and Jalen figuring each other out. Al had 29 against Harvard from what we hear but wasn't as aggressive as it seems he could've owned the court but was more the man. They both can drop 20 on a given night will be great to see them be able to do it on the same night occasionally but sharing the ball when in together loos a bit awkward for now. It will take time.

What I loved the most was how trained they are to RUN the ball, push it after in bounds or rebound, steal etc etc.. They go and with the usual 3 guard line up this will be their advantage. The bigs all looked to throw it out first rather than the hand off we've been relegated to for the last few years. That brings a smile to my face.

Also the defense was much more attentive and fast to the ball. Still a lot to learn but even in the 2nd half already a huge improvement on the switches and hedges, they have some very good perimeter defenders and Al is special out there making the other teams PG nervous to put it on the floor, Boat-like.

A long way to go, they only played SCSU, but the energy was great and obvious to me. How they all mature on both ends of the court as the season moves forward will tell us if we will be knocking on the door already. No matter, I think we certainly have the guy to bring them back eventually it will be a bonus if it's already. And I promise he thinks he can.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If healthy and anywhere near what I saw in his freshman year Yakwe may be our best bet for the guy who makes a difference. Diarra certainly showed some things when finally given the opportunity but we still lost on defense most of the time. But motor wise and athletically he and Yakwe are very similar.

Carlton started, he looked the same to me (it's one game though so we can hopefully see a change for everyone). Not an awful option but not a huge impact. He isn't quick enough to make that impact, doesn't get to spots on defense when needed nor does he elevate enough to get his hands on numerous rebounds. Still room for him to grow and even this year.

Whaley who I like is still the kid who is extremely athletic, great feet but has no idea on offense unless its a follow up outback or an alley oop. He can defend though and block some shots so he is the most steady of all the bigs right now. Of all he's the one who boxed out on occasion, but still not 100%.

Cobb had some moments. Is a very good outlet passer, can use his body to get tot he basket so he will get his time. He still seems a bit slow in the help side of D and should move his feet to get in position rather than sit back waiting to block shots (although he got a couple I think).

Polley is not ready to be the 4 because we need our 4 to get 4-6 boards. He was bigger than anyone in their lineup and didn't get a rebound in traffic. We know he can shoot so he will get his time but he needs to rebound and be able to drop it on the floor on occasion while taking someone to the hoop.

Williams is a crazy option but one that you can be sure will be throwing his body around. He may be out of place when doing so but we know he's going to go after the ball at 100%. He's not a educated hoopster but the kid mixes it up and is tough. May gain some attention from the staff as they like the toughness.

This team will live and die with the guards. Alterique was great, Brendan Adams looks like he will be special at some point of his Husky career, CV is the same guy works hard needs to be under control but a player, Jalen will need to figure it out but we know he's going to have a solid year hopefully even more than that and Tarin was very impressive on both ends of the court filling the stat sheet showing experience and toughness.

I am a bit concerned with Al and Jalen figuring each other out. Al had 29 against Harvard from what we hear but wasn't as aggressive as it seems he could've owned the court but was more the man. They both can drop 20 on a given night will be great to see them be able to do it on the same night occasionally but sharing the ball when in together loos a bit awkward for now. It will take time.

What I loved the most was how trained they are to RUN the ball, push it after in bounds or rebound, steal etc etc.. They go and with the usual 3 guard line up this will be their advantage. The bigs all looked to throw it out first rather than the hand off we've been relegated to for the last few years. That brings a smile to my face.

Also the defense was much more attentive and fast to the ball. Still a lot to learn but even in the 2nd half already a huge improvement on the switches and hedges, they have some very good perimeter defenders and Al is special out there making the other teams PG nervous to put it on the floor, Boat-like.

A long way to go, they only played SCSU, but the energy was great and obvious to me. How they all mature on both ends of the court as the season moves forward will tell us if we will be knocking on the door already. No matter, I think we certainly have the guy to bring them back eventually it will be a bonus if it's already. And I promise he thinks he can.
Great write up. Should start your own thread and title it Mau's boxers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom