Diarra?? | The Boneyard

Diarra??

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The Huskies are still mad. They thought he was saying Hamidou Diallo when they first got involved with him.

Wrong. Diarra was ranked higher by ESPN than any big currently on roster. The notion that he only came on board to help with Diallo is fake news.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He needs to play more. Has to be allowed to play through mistakes and gain confidence. It has worked for Carlton, and Whaley and even Polley got extended burn last night.

Reaction Score
He needs to play more. Has to be allowed to play through mistakes and gain confidence. It has worked for Carlton, and Whaley and even Polley got extended burn last night.

Not sure all the time with him, he is lost quite often and hurts the defense tremendously at times (chicken with the head cut off deal). Needs to learn, right now he's in the same boat as Facey was 2nd year in I'm afraid.

Reaction Score
I see Kentan Facey 2.0 with him. He needs playing time to actually get better. Look at what happened when Facey FINALLY got playing time his senior year...I get KO is trying to win games but you can't tell me he wouldn't give you better minutes than Anderson (different positions I know but still).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carlton and Whaley are earning the minutes. Geno talked about not rewarding mediocrity the other day. When two young guys were still the ones getting most of the minutes, I’m not complaining. Diarra needs to learn how to stay in position and stop fouling.

Reaction Score
I see Kentan Facey 2.0 with him. He needs playing time to actually get better. Look at what happened when Facey FINALLY got playing time his senior year...I get KO is trying to win games but you can't tell me he would give you better minutes than Anderson (different positions I know but still).

I mean this respectfully. I don't see a lot of Facey parallels with Diarra. I really liked Facey, but Diarra is tougher and has a great motor. His biggest issue has been getting into foul trouble. He is far more like Brimah in that regard. I really hope Diarra can be worked back into the rotation.

And I am surprised to be saying this since I think Cobb has some intriguing skills, but the team probably played better without him last night.

Reaction Score
I see Kentan Facey 2.0 with him. He needs playing time to actually get better. Look at what happened when Facey FINALLY got playing time his senior year...I get KO is trying to win games but you can't tell me he wouldn't give you better minutes than Anderson (different positions I know but still).

Facey didn't get playing time until he understood the game better because no matter what people thought they saw, the kid was lost on the court as far as understanding the game. People like that hurt you on both ends, not knowing positioning and all the little things that make you a better player. If Amida Brimah couldn't block shots and didn't make people a bit nervous inside he would have been a 12-15 minute guy because he didn't get the game all that much. Diarra came in for a couple minutes and hurt them on defense, he always finds himself behind the people near the basket. He may learn, we can only hope he does because he's tough, athletic and plays hard. Now he needs to learn to play smart, some guys never do because it's somewhat natural to understand the game. He's a great kid, hope it all come together.

Reaction Score
I mean this respectfully. I don't see a lot of Facey parallels with Diarra. I really liked Facey, but Diarra is tougher and has a great motor. His biggest issue has been getting into foul trouble. He is far more like Brimah in that regard. I really hope Diarra can be worked back into the rotation.

And I am surprised to be saying this since I think Cobb has some intriguing skills, but the team probably played better without him last night.

What in the world did Cobb do? My guess was that he threw some attitude at Ollie and would miss the one road trip and come back after those two games. Crazy that he isn't playing yet, but I like that we're giving Carlton the minutes and he seems to be embracing them.

Oh.... This thread was about Diarra. At his size and with his long arms, all I can ever think of is Adrien as his build is similar, but Diarra can hit the mid range like Adrien did, and he is not a pit bull like Adrien is. He's got time...

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Diarra was getting toasted on D. I also don't think it'd bad for him to sit some games. Give his knees a break.

Reaction Score
Carlton, Whaley, and Polley played well.
They played well for a half. Diarra came here as a rebounder. The way we were pounded on the boards, in the first half,tells me Diarra will be transferring. Not to get minutes in that first half, tells me he is a goner.

Reaction Score
They played well for a half. Diarra came here as a rebounder. The way we were pounded on the boards, in the first half,tells me Diarra will be transferring. Not to get minutes in that first half, tells me he is a goner.
And sit our another year?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He had a bad game, he's still a freshman, lets see how he preforms the rest of the year. He may just be the casualty of Carlton and Whaleys good performance.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Diarra is small for a Power Forward. He reminds me physically of Toraino Walker. Undersized but tough. Diarra needs to use his strength but really needs to focus on positioning, blocking out and concentrating on rebounds at both ends.

Reaction Score
I like Diarra, but he doesn’t have the size and strength to compete in AAC. Never mind transferring to “P5”
Respectfully disagree with this. The things Diarra has are the size and strength to compete in the AAC. What he doesn't have is the experience. He fouls too much and doesn't have good positioning on defense. These are things he will learn. He has the physical tools to be a nice player. With his physical makeup if he had Phil Nolan's head he'd be a nice 6 pt, 4 rb role player for us. Maybe better. He just needs more court time.

Reaction Score
Carlton and Whaley are earning the minutes. Geno talked about not rewarding mediocrity the other day. When two young guys were still the ones getting most of the minutes, I’m not complaining. Diarra needs to learn how to stay in position and stop fouling.

For those that haven't seen it, I would recommend watching the opening segment from his show the other day. Very interesting perspective on earning minutes:

Reaction Score
Diarra is small for a Power Forward. He reminds me physically of Toraino Walker. Undersized but tough. Diarra needs to use his strength but really needs to focus on positioning, blocking out and concentrating on rebounds at both ends.

Toraino Walker was a man compared to Diarra. He and Dan Cyrulik somehow held the fort in the 1990 Big East tournament against Mourning and Mutumbo of Georgetown and Owens and Coleman of Syracuse when Rod Sellers was out with a leg injury. Unbelievable to say the least, but they helped make what should have been two blowouts against UConn turn into wins in the Semis and Finals for UConn's first Big East Tournament title.
He also had one of, if not the best, dunks in UConn history. Can't remember the team, but it was at Gampel in the first half of a game. There was a rebound towards the visitors' bench on a jump shot and while we were watching the ball come off the rim a hand attached to 6 foot 6 inch Walker came out of nowhere (seemed like a foot above the rim) and one handed it through the basket. He came from way off the play and it happened so fast and was such an athletic play the crowd went crazy.......why not?
Toraino came from a very troubled upbringing in Orlando and apparently ended up in prison after he left UConn. As I recall the story, he didn't really like basketball but tried the college game, eventually quitting the game and got in trouble after leaving UConn. Maybe someone else has the full story.

Reaction Score

Toraino was a weird player. He was pretty athletic, an excellent passer for his size, could handle a little, but could not shoot to save his life. He was a good glue guy but obviously had some other demons going on. JC always talked about the sad tale of his story.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree with this. The things Diarra has are the size and strength to compete in the AAC. What he doesn't have is the experience. He fouls too much and doesn't have good positioning on defense. These are things he will learn. He has the physical tools to be a nice player. With his physical makeup if he had Phil Nolan's head he'd be a nice 6 pt, 4 rb role player for us. Maybe better. He just needs more court time.

I like your post, but I think Diarra has a higher upside than 6 and 4. I am thinking more like 10 and 7 or 12 and 8 as a upperclassmen. He has a great motor and needs to stay out of foul trouble to develop.

Reaction Score
Toraino Walker was a man compared to Diarra. He and Dan Cyrulik somehow held the fort in the 1990 Big East tournament against Mourning and Mutumbo of Georgetown and Owens and Coleman of Syracuse when Rod Sellers was out with a leg injury. Unbelievable to say the least, but they helped make what should have been two blowouts against UConn turn into wins in the Semis and Finals for UConn's first Big East Tournament title.
He also had one of, if not the best, dunks in UConn history. Can't remember the team, but it was at Gampel in the first half of a game. There was a rebound towards the visitors' bench on a jump shot and while we were watching the ball come off the rim a hand attached to 6 foot 6 inch Walker came out of nowhere (seemed like a foot above the rim) and one handed it through the basket. He came from way off the play and it happened so fast and was such an athletic play the crowd went crazy..why not?
Toraino came from a very troubled upbringing in Orlando and apparently ended up in prison after he left UConn. As I recall the story, he didn't really like basketball but tried the college game, eventually quitting the game and got in trouble after leaving UConn. Maybe someone else has the full story.

Great post. The Toraino dunk was epic. I saw Chris Smith at Ted's after the game and he was gushing about that play, despite being a pretty quiet, laid back guy. Toraino was flat out tough, street tough. I always enjoyed watching him play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom