Diana Taurasi | The Boneyard

Diana Taurasi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DT solidify here spot at the top of the UConn pyramid today as UConn's greatest player of all time. She is just so driven and a winner. If I could only pick one ex Huskie to be on my team I would select Taurasi without hesitation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
DT solidify here spot at the top of the UConn pyramid today as UConn's greatest player of all time. She is just so driven and a winner. If I could only pick one ex Huskie to be on my team I would select Taurasi without hesitation.
I agree 100%. Stewie is not ready to play against the elite teams, and Maya is just a step slow and is less athletic than she appears. I couldn't begin to count the times she was just blown by when she was playing defense. It seems like her reaction time is a step slow... And Tina - yikes.

Of course, it's just one game. But Dee is the best of the best. GOAT IMHO...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Stewie is not ready to play against the elite teams, and Maya is just a step slow and is less athletic than she appears. I couldn't begin to count the times she was just blown by when she was playing defense. It seems like her reaction time is a step slow... And Tina - yikes.

Of course, it's just one game. But Dee is the best of the best. GOAT IMHO...

Not only just one game. Just one exhibition game.

Maybe Diana ups her effort level for the Olympics but criticizing Maya's defense in a thread praising Taurasi seems so backwards to me. Over their pro careers, Maya is much the better defender and it's not close.

By the way, Maya was a +15 today. Taurasi was +9.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wouldn't base much on one game, but Dee was very good today. Her energy level was off the charts.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not only just one game. Just one exhibition game.

Maybe Diana ups her effort level for the Olympics but criticizing Maya's defense in a thread praising Taurasi seems so backwards to me. Over their pro careers, Maya is much the better defender and it's not close.

By the way, Maya was a +15 today. Taurasi was +9.

If this is your argument about how completely irrelevant that stat can be, job well done.

Wait, BG lead the team at +19...there must be something to that stat.

Maya had a tremendous stat line at 13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 steals.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If this is your argument about how completely irrelevant that stat can be, job well done.

Wait, BG lead the team at +19...there must be something to that stat.

Maya had a tremendous stat line at 13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 steals.

Hey, if we're going to discuss just one game, I may as well cherry-pick a stat that means approximately nothing over a single-game sample.

More seriously, Maya is my choice for "Best Husky" and though she didn't shoot efficiently she did stuff the stat sheet in other ways.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
More seriously, Maya is my choice for "Best Husky" and though she didn't shoot efficiently she did stuff the stat sheet in other ways.

If we are going on non stats, DT made players better like no one I've seen in WCBB history. She made average players into All Stars just by being on the same court. IMO, she is the women's Michael Jordan. Not in style of play, athleticism or what have you, but in essence.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If we are going on non stats, DT made players better like no one I've seen in WCBB history. She made average players into All Stars just by being on the same court. IMO, she is the women's Michael Jordan. Not in style of play, athleticism or what have you, but in essence.

Just read this quote from Geno, which is apropos:

“D is a very strong-willed person and she’s got a strong-willed personality,” Auriemma said. “She affects people. When she walks into a room, the entire room reacts to her. You have to understand that. She is really, really good at getting people onto the same page and getting them to do what she wants them to do. That’s what great leaders do and she is that.”

Reaction Score
More from "Coach" Taurasi:

"I said, 'Elena, sometimes you get in these situations and you forget what you're good at,'" Taurasi said. "Because you're around all these great players and personalities. I said, 'You be who you are.'"

"It was huge, especially coming from her," Delle Donne said of Taurasi's words of wisdom. "Someone I've looked up to my entire life. I love her game, and she's such a leader. So for her to say that, it helped me take a deep breath and say, 'Hey, it's still the game of basketball. I'm here to be me, and I need to play the way I can.'"

U.S. women all learning from one another on court

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I still think that the weakness shown yesterday was perimeter D in which a Moriah (for example)
would have made the win much easier by shutting down (partially at least) Leilani Mitchell with her patented face guarding.
To say that Maya is weak defensively is silly
She was a demon on D yesterday

Reaction Score
DT after interview ~~~

Diana Taurasi's Bun (@DT3sBun) | Twitter

Screenshot.png

Reaction Score
More from "Coach" Taurasi:

"I said, 'Elena, sometimes you get in these situations and you forget what you're good at,'" Taurasi said. "Because you're around all these great players and personalities.
Ya think Dee had anyone specific in mind? :)

Reaction Score
Great Taurasi story from The Arizona Republic today. Talks Olympics ("This is Sue's and my last time on the court together", "...last time I'll play for Coach Auriemma."), WNBA (It's great the league has been here for 20 years, now it's about time the players started benefitting", "I don't think Breanna Stewart making $25,000 for the summer is impressing anybody."), funny story about her big sister (cussing worse than her), plus video interview & nice photo gallery...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor.../02/liana-taurasi-rio-olympics-wnba/87106710/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom