Diana Taurasi Isn't Done Yet | The Boneyard

Diana Taurasi Isn't Done Yet

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
When Geno Auriemma coached Taurasi at UConn, he’d often say about facing opposing teams, “We’ve got Diana.” It was more than casual bragging or taunting. It was true. When it comes to key players and big moments, there’s clutch shooting, and then there’s Taurasi. In college, she built up a reputation for being the player who should always have the ball in her hands at the end of a game and it followed her to the pros, where that reputation morphed into legendary status and thrust her into the inevitable role as the face of women’s basketball.

https://deadspin.com/diana-taurasi-isnt-done-yet-1826154410

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
GOAT. If anyone still thinks she isn't now, by the time her career is done, she will be. She's not only the all time leading scorer in the WNBA, she's almost 450 points ahead of #2 Tina Thompson, and Dee is still playing. She's #5 on the all time list for assists. She's a career 37% 3-point shooter (one of the tops historically as well).

She has 4 Olympic gold medals, 3 WNBA championships, 3 NCAA championships, 6 Euro-league championships, and has not only won everywhere she's been, but she's been the leader, best scorer, best player, and terrific assist maker.

Reaction Score
They didn’t Geno’s complete line. It doesn’t say much without it being correctly quoted. The line was “we have D, and you don’t”. Best line from the article: “that she is one of the greatest players ever is not a question, just an evolving fact”.

Reaction Score
She's definitely the greatest offensive player of all time.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Here's my three-alarm hot take:

I'm glad Deadspin is running WNBA content, especially long-form player profiles. But I do not find Diana Taurasi to be an interesting subject at all. Maybe it's because I already know her story. Maybe it's because I've read similar articles in the past.

Taurasi is a very talented athlete who has dedicated herself with an almost single-minded greatness to excellence in her sport. That's not interesting in itself. I feel like writers want you to think Taurasi is interesting because she's flawed. She had a DUI. She racks up techs like crazy.

Let's see...all-time great who at one time had issues with substances and loses their temper while playing. So she's Tiger Woods. Great.

I don't know - I'm kind of bored by the angle of the brilliant athlete who is a poor sport....but actually is misunderstood and has matured with age!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And the greatest winner of all time. No one carried a UConn team like D did for two years.
I agree about Dee carrying UConn, but there are others who are in the conversation for greatest winner of all time. Sue Bird is the most decorated Team USA Basketball player in history, male or female. I believe that Stewie is ahead of Sue at a comparable age and could surpass her. In addition, Maya’s record is more impressive to me. Minnesota has been the most successful team in the WNBA since Maya joined them. She has won 4 WNBA titles in 7 years. Dee has won 3 in 14 years. I’m losing track, but I believe that Maya’s teams have won 27 major championships in 14 years. They range from the Georgia State Championship and AAU National Championship in 2005 through the most recent WNBA and Euroleague Championships. Maya’s UConn teams won championships “only” 50% of the time. Everywhere else, she has been above 50%: Georgia high school, AAU, FIBA World Cup, Olympics, Spanish League, Euroleague, Chinese League, and WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
GOAT. If anyone still thinks she isn't now, by the time her career is done, she will be. She's not only the all time leading scorer in the WNBA, she's almost 450 points ahead of #2 Tina Thompson, and Dee is still playing. She's #5 on the all time list for assists. She's a career 37% 3-point shooter (one of the tops historically as well).

She has 4 Olympic gold medals, 3 WNBA championships, 3 NCAA championships, 6 Euro-league championships, and has not only won everywhere she's been, but she's been the leader, best scorer, best player, and terrific assist maker.
Don’t look now, but about 3-4 years after Rebekkah Brunson and Dee retire, the WNBA career leader in points AND rebounds could be Tina Charles.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score

I'm glad Deadspin is running WNBA content, especially long-form player profiles. But I do not find Diana Taurasi to be an interesting subject at all. Maybe it's because I already know her story. Maybe it's because I've read similar articles in the past.

Taurasi is a very talented athlete who has dedicated herself with an almost single-minded greatness to excellence in her sport. That's not interesting in itself. I feel like writers want you to think Taurasi is interesting because she's flawed. She had a DUI. She racks up techs like crazy.

Let's see...all-time great who at one time had issues with substances and loses their temper while playing. So she's Tiger Woods. Great.

I don't know - I'm kind of bored by the angle of the brilliant athlete who is a poor sport....but actually is misunderstood and has matured with age!
I actually do think she is interesting because she's flawed. It's a common angle for men, for sure. But not for women. And the fact that at her age, she's still at top of her game - well, it's remarkable. And she's married to her coach. I would actually have liked more info on that - what's that dynamic like?

I absolutely love DT and would read about pretty much anything she does. She's one of the few players that most guys know - I know that shouldn't be the bar by which I judge things, but she's pretty much universally accepted as a basketball stud (no "for a girl" added).

Reaction Score
Yes, she has all the records in the WNBA, she probably has the record for most technical fouls as well. Nothing can stop her!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The changing table and the wipes. Pure Diana. Always thinking, analysing and asking questions of imperfection. Very good article.

Reaction Score

Yes, but....
I didn't know what Deadspin is, and may still not, but any legitimate news source that does legit stories about women's basketball is in a position to educate more people about the sport and perhaps interest them in it. It doesn't have to be a story that enchants long-time UConn WCBB fans. In fact, it's almost guaranteed to not do so.

Let's face it : There are few stories about UConn players that haven't been explored once, twice, three times in the past. But the vast majority of sports fans know little about the sport or its players. They've heard of Taurasi but don't know how amazing her record is. It's just like UConn WCBB: the average sports fan knows the team is good. They may have heard the team is the best. And (new in the last five years) most know who Geno is, But these things have not move these folks to follow the sport, or even to take a casual interest in it.

If we want more people to take an interest in the sport (and I think we do) then encourage these stories by, yes, reading them. For many of these sites (unless things have changed in the last few years) every click counts. And a story that attracts lots of pairs of eyes will cause the site owner to order up more stories on the same subject. Which is the ;point, IMHO.

Reaction Score
I actually do think she is interesting because she's flawed. It's a common angle for men, for sure. But not for women. And the fact that at her age, she's still at top of her game - well, it's remarkable. And she's married to her coach. I would actually have liked more info on that - what's that dynamic like?

I absolutely love DT and would read about pretty much anything she does. She's one of the few players that most guys know - I know that shouldn't be the bar by which I judge things, but she's pretty much universally accepted as a basketball stud (no "for a girl" added).
Possibly about like LaBron's dynamic with his coach (without the marriage part, of course): "Is that gonna be OK with you, LaBron?"

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
GOAT's have a life span of about 15-18 years, which is about how long DT has been one. Some however live as long as 24, so clearly DT has some time left.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She had a DUI a million years ago and she's flawed? She plays like a guy and most of the WNBA refs don't get it , aided by their dislike of the fact that she has been vocal about the quality of the ref'ing. To be sure there have been times when D tires of all the missed calls and decides to take justice in her own hands, but I wouldn't call that flawed, but frustrated.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dee makes shots and passes that other players don’t even think of attempting.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She had a DUI a million years ago and she's flawed? She plays like a guy and most of the WNBA refs don't get it , aided by their dislike of the fact that she has been vocal about the quality of the ref'ing. To be sure there have been times when D tires of all the missed calls and decides to take justice in her own hands, but I wouldn't call that flawed, but frustrated.

She punched Hamby in the back of the head just last year. Good enough?

Sorry, I can't buy this idea that she's such an extraordinary player that the refs don't know how to handle her and she needs resort to vigilante justice. People like Maya Moore and Elena Delle Donne don't do that stuff. Are you telling me they don't get fouled a lot or don't have unfavorable calls against them?

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She punched Hamby in the back of the head just last year. Good enough?

Sorry, I can't buy this idea that she's such an extraordinary player that the refs don't know how to handle her and she needs resort to vigilante justice. People like Maya Moore and Elena Delle Donne don't do that stuff. Are you telling me they don't get fouled a lot or don't have unfavorable calls against them?

Hardly a punch! Back of the forarm push, but too stupidly blatant for words. No whistle on hamby as she got her forarm up in DT's grill as a "screen".

As for: "Sorry, I can't buy this idea that she's such an extraordinary player that the refs don't know how to handle her and she needs resort to vigilante justice." That's quite a spin Doc :eek:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I wouldn't think there's much to tell about being married to her coach. Her head coach is still Brondello as has been the case for the while. Taylor's not even a proper assistant. She's "director of player development," a job they created just for her.

She's still at the top of her game? Not really. She's slipped a little bit over the last couple years. PER was 18.3 in 2016 and 19.0 in 2017. Career is 23.2. Before 2016, she had only had one year sub-20, a 19.8 in her second season. WinShares/48 was .134 in '16 and .181 in '17. Before 16, she had only been below .2 twice. 2016 and 2017 were the worst two years of her WNBA career, statistically. She really hasn't been the same since coming back after the season she skipped. In part, that's why Phoenix went from champions to chasing Minnesota and LA like everyone else.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
BTW, Hamby is known for her rough play and could give DT lessons in retaliation:

Wanna see a sucker punch knock a player out?

Could it be DT was saying "don't pull your merde on me Hamby"? BTW the video shows Hanby leaning over and taunting the fallen player. She got a 3 month suspension. Player left the floor on a gurney and went to hospital.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Hardly a punch! Back of the forarm push, but too stupidly blatant for words. No whistle on hamby as she got her forarm up in DT's grill as a "screen".

As for: "Sorry, I can't buy this idea that she's such an extraordinary player that the refs don't know how to handle her and she needs resort to vigilante justice." That's quite a spin Doc :eek:

Her forearm strikes the back of Hamby's head. Whether you call it a "punch" or a "back of the forearm push," (which is a new one by me) it's still a cheap shot.

What am I spinning? Your words were that she "decides to take justice into her own hands" in part because she "plays like a guy and most of the refs don't get it". I don't see how her play is so unusual either in quality or style that the refs "don't get it". The refs make bad calls all the time. We know this. Most of the league, including other great players, don't take justice into their own hands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom