Diana Taurasi Isn't Done Yet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diana Taurasi Isn't Done Yet

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't see how her play is so unusual either in quality or style that the refs "don't get it".

WNBA refing is worse than college. I'm not saying they just don't get DT's play. They don't get their jobs period. Totally inconsistent and very frustrating for me as a fan; maddening to a lot of players I'm sure. But DT is DT and lives life large and does not back off. Not your cup of I gather. You'll wanna miss the DT Fan Club thread I'm starting Orang!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, but....
I didn't know what Deadspin is, and may still not, but any legitimate news source that does legit stories about women's basketball is in a position to educate more people about the sport and perhaps interest them in it. It doesn't have to be a story that enchants long-time UConn WCBB fans. In fact, it's almost guaranteed to not do so.

Let's face it : There are few stories about UConn players that haven't been explored once, twice, three times in the past. But the vast majority of sports fans know little about the sport or its players. They've heard of Taurasi but don't know how amazing her record is. It's just like UConn WCBB: the average sports fan knows the team is good. They may have heard the team is the best. And (new in the last five years) most know who Geno is, But these things have not move these folks to follow the sport, or even to take a casual interest in it.

If we want more people to take an interest in the sport (and I think we do) then encourage these stories by, yes, reading them. For many of these sites (unless things have changed in the last few years) every click counts. And a story that attracts lots of pairs of eyes will cause the site owner to order up more stories on the same subject. Which is the ;point, IMHO.

You're absolutely right and DT is as well-known as anyone in the WNBA, so she is a good choice for an in-depth profile. This is totally just me complaining that the article wasn't what I would want when I am not the target audience (and clicked anyway!).

Personally, I'd rather read about Maya Moore or Tina Charles or Breanna Stewart even among UConn stars but they're not as intriguing to journalists because they aren't as brash, haven't been involved in as many newsworthy incidents, etc.

*Ok rants about DT done, I promise...thanks for putting up with me*

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You're absolutely right and DT is as well-known as anyone in the WNBA, so she is a good choice for an in-depth profile. This is totally just me complaining that the article wasn't what I would want when I am not the target audience (and clicked anyway!).

Personally, I'd rather read about Maya Moore or Tina Charles or Breanna Stewart even among UConn stars but they're not as intriguing to journalists because they aren't as brash, haven't been involved in as many newsworthy incidents, etc.

*Ok rants about DT done, I promise...thanks for putting up with me*

I don't think Diana is interviewed a lot because she's brash or has been involved in "newsworthy incidents," but rather because journalists find her interesting and thoughtful and funny. There's nothing rote about what she says, no player-speak. She insightful and speaks the truth. I love Tina and Maya but, honestly, they haven't always been the most interesting interviews and sometimes are rather boring.

It's why many journalists would choose to interview Geno over most other coaches. It's not because he's brash, or arrogant, but rather because he's also very thoughtful and interesting and speaks honestly in a way other coaches won't. Geno and Diana are both funny, too.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't think Diana is interviewed a lot because she's brash or has been involved in "newsworthy incidents," but rather because journalists find her interesting and thoughtful and funny. There's nothing rote about what she says, no player-speak. She insightful and speaks the truth. I love Tina and Maya but, honestly, they haven't always been the most interesting interviews and sometimes are rather boring.

That's fair. Diana is certainly a good quote. I guess it's because Tina and Maya are somewhat boring that I'd love to see someone get to the bottom of what makes them tick.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That's fair. Diana is certainly a good quote. I guess it's because Tina and Maya are somewhat boring that I'd love to see someone get to the bottom of what makes them tick.

That's just it; they don't allow that to happen, at least not in the same way Diana does.

Reaction Score
OT: FWIW, I read Hamby was cleared of wrong-doing and the suspension was revoked for the video under discussion here. Another angle that came to light during the investigation more clearly showed the player fell on her own and the other player had repeated "dirty" hits on Hamby in the previous handful of possessions.

Reaction Score
She punched Hamby in the back of the head just last year. Good enough?

Sorry, I can't buy this idea that she's such an extraordinary player that the refs don't know how to handle her and she needs resort to vigilante justice. People like Maya Moore and Elena Delle Donne don't do that stuff. Are you telling me they don't get fouled a lot or don't have unfavorable calls against them?
The punch on Hamby was too much. I didn’t see it but the announcers in last nights game said Sue Bird was getting mugged by her and Bird had her arms up in the air saying c’mon. Thought that was kind of funny Diana doing that with Sue. Probably just to get under her skin playfully

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom