Diamond is the gem in the rookie class | The Boneyard

Diamond is the gem in the rookie class

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Her basketball talent has always been undeniable. Her extras have always been unnecessary. She'll either grow up or continue the struggle between those two things.
"Between those two things" You mean her ears right? IMO she knows she has undeniable talent and believes that she can beat anyone without the rest of her team. If she would allow herself to be coached, she could really be a star.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If she repeats what she did yesterday, I’ll agree. But she hasn’t been an efficient shooter historically, so we’ll see.
Just so true. Moreover, she has never been a consistent shooter because she has an inconsistent launch point. Consequently she'll have games where she looks all world, and games where she looks all D league. I said this before and I stand by my beliefs. DD will end up being a sort of team obliterator where some coaches will live to be tempted by using and overusing her because of her potential, and they'll die by her offensive inconsistency, especially in big moments.

Reaction Score
Stats vs the Liberty tonight:

23 minutes 7 pts (2-7) 5 rebounds 5 assists 5 turnovers

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Stats vs the Liberty tonight:

23 minutes 7 pts (2-7) 5 rebounds 5 assists 5 turnovers

My wife and I were both shaking our heads at Amber Stocks leaving Diamond in in the fourth quarter and sitting Gabby. They certainly lost the defensive intensity, and it didn't seem that DD was contributing much.

Reaction Score
DD has never shown the ability to maintain her high level for an entire season!
She is one of the few athletes that can have 20 points and 10 turnovers!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I will get some hate for this, but i think it’s a good time to trade Diamond.

No hate here, but I think it's too early to decide whether Diamond was worthy of being your first round pick, and if she's worth keeping. They've only played two games. The Sky need to play every team (11 games) at least once before they can honestly begin to evaluate a rookie. They need a larger sample size than just 2 games.

If I were going to trade her, it would not be until the off season.....................unless, another team wanted her, and made me an offer I could not refuse, that would not only fill a need, but strengthen my roster as well. She went 3rd overall in the draft, so I assume that Chicago wanted her, and felt they got the best player on the board at that time. The Sky were not the only team that coveted DeShields.

It would appear by your comment that you are not a Diamond DeShields fan, thus you would have no hesitation in getting rid of her. May I assume that you would NOT have drafted her in the first place? Time will tell if the Sky made the right decision in drafting her or not.

She's going to get a lot of playing time this season. The Sky coaches and GM will definitely know by September if they made the right choice or not. I'm not a Sky fan, so I don't care one way or the other. I'll just continue to enjoy watching her and Gabulous play.

Reaction Score
Here to see how long before this thread has a reason to be locked.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My wife and I were both shaking our heads at Amber Stocks leaving Diamond in in the fourth quarter and sitting Gabby. They certainly lost the defensive intensity, and it didn't seem that DD was contributing much.

Diamond assisted on two Quigley baskets at 9:10 and 8:44 of the fourth quarter. Williams left the game at 8:06 remaining. So yes, Diamond was contributing before Gabby left the game in the 4th. Between 8:06 and leaving the game at 3:24, Diamond made a 3 and added another assist and a rebound (versus 2 fouls resulting in 1 free throw on the negative side).

Chicago trailed 61-60 when Williams left the game with Nurse on the line to make it 62-60. Chicago led 73-71 when Diamond left the game with Quigley on the line to make it 74-71. Chicago was +3 in the stretch where Diamond was in and Gabby was not and really closer to +5.

New York scored 9 points in 4 minutes and 42 seconds that 4 quarter stretch with Diamond and without Gabby. That's 1.9 points per minute. New York scored 76 points in the 40-minute game or...1.9 points per minute. I don't really see how leaving Diamond in and taking Gabby out harmed Chicago's defensive intensity.

At any rate, it's not really a question of Diamond vs. Gabby as they have different roles. It's Diamond vs. Kahleah Copper at the 3 position and Gabby vs. Cheyenne Parker at the 4. Parker was only 2-7 shooting but had 8 rebs, 2 ast, 1 stl, 3 blocks and led Chicago in plus/minus at +11. Gabby had Chicago's worst plus/minus for the game at -7. (Diamond was -4).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I will get some hate for this, but i think it’s a good time to trade Diamond.

I personally think it is a bad idea to trade a lottery pick because she had one bad half in her second game as a rookie. Especially given that she played much better in the second half and her team went on to win. But that's just me.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Good grief, Diamond has played 2 games. No need to anoint her as ROY now. There is a long way to go. ROY may be Diamond, maybe Wilson or someone else.

She has the talent, yes. Does she have control to harness her talent and be a consistent contributing member of a team? My answer is I don't know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom