Diaco to be on College Football Live | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco to be on College Football Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
He handled himself well all things considered, conversation was more bowl based then Uconn football

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Thought Bob handled the ambush well. Sounds like he's done some reps in the practice studio. Only real critique is UConn's HC needs to support an 8 team playoff. Also would have liked him to hit the BCS bowl and FB history on the first dig that we're a BB school, but he hit it hard on the 2nd pitch.

Not championship level stuff, but a solid effort. Moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Thought Bob handled the ambush well. Sounds like he's done some reps in the practice studio. Only real critique is UConn's HC needs to support an 8 team playoff. Also would have liked him to hit the BCS bowl and FB history on the first dig that we're a BB school, but he hit it hard on the 2nd pitch.

Not championship level stuff, but a solid effort. Moving in the right direction.

Yeah, he mentioned the Fiesta Bowl appearance later on in the show. He did a pretty solid job representing the program. It almost made me forget we're 2-10.

Reaction Score
He did very well. I'm watching the replay now, and i think he represented very well.

Now let's win some games !

Reaction Score
He mentioned STEM, top public University, on campus lifestyle/atmosphere for students etc. One has to think, ESPN didn't reach out and select him to join, but rather UConn reached out to ESPN to get Diaco on the show. Conference realignment pitch in a way. At the very least, some good publicity for UConn I believe.

Reaction Score
My damn DVR cut off the last minute or so.

Did he answer the question "what did you learn in your first year" ???

Reaction Score
He mentioned STEM, top public University, on campus lifestyle/atmosphere for students etc. One has to think, ESPN didn't reach out and select him to join, but rather UConn reached out to ESPN to get Diaco on the show. Conference realignment pitch in a way. At the very least, some good publicity for UConn I believe.

My thoughts exactly. I got the impression that this was UConn finally showing the initiative to develop a relationship with ESPN and wisely taking advantage of the fact that they literally have a nationwide, flagship sports broadcasting network right in their backyard. Everyone knows UConn basketball, but this felt like Diaco introducing himself and the football program to the country; as well as possibly pitching the university to any P5 conference that may be paying attention. PP had his share of ESPN press but hardly had the charisma to pull off selling the program. They could've been interviewing the company custodian for all anybody across the country knew or cared.

Reaction Score

I liked their reasoning for staying at the 4 team playoff. It seems that going larger is for TV only. Too many games for the student athlete if their team runs the table. How many hotel rooms will be required for this run on a 8 team playoff. The avid fan will have to break the bank to follow their team to the varied sites. Greed is what it is all about. I saw somewhere last week before they announced who was in that they put teams in the 2 thru 4 spots in the bowls that were easier traveling for their fan base. So it wasn't necessarily how they are ranked in the polls.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Dump the conf champ games if you expand to 8.

Reaction Score
Just saw it. Come on. Diaco wasn't just good, he was excellent. Anyone around the country who was watching but never knew him would have been impressed. He's young, hip, telegenic, has a sense of humor--at times self deprecating, --all in all a guy you'd want to play for. He also answered the questions that were asked, many of them pointed. He took a position on some delicate choices (Saban or Meyer---Mariota or Winston). Funny aside--my wife said "he should have favored Urban Meyer over Saban--looks better for our B1G chances"--lol. In that type of TV forum he represented the University even better than Edsall, (who was getting more comfortable as time went by) and light years better than PP. I'm sure the execs at Espn took notice and will be inviting him back.

Reaction Score
College Football Live is on ESPNU tonight at 1130pm- guessing it is a replay and/or a possible second chance to record?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

UConn's head football coach should support a 68 team tournament.

Or an FA Cup type setup.

Reaction Score
I liked their reasoning for staying at the 4 team playoff. It seems that going larger is for TV only. Too many games for the student athlete if their team runs the table. How many hotel rooms will be required for this run on a 8 team playoff. The avid fan will have to break the bank to follow their team to the varied sites. Greed is what it is all about. I saw somewhere last week before they announced who was in that they put teams in the 2 thru 4 spots in the bowls that were easier traveling for their fan base. So it wasn't necessarily how they are ranked in the polls.

I would think 8 teams should be manageable. I don't understand how FCS can pull off a full scale playoff system but FBS can barely handle four? 8 should be max; consider it the elite eight of college football. If it ever got to 16, then I can start to understand people feeling that it's getting convoluted and possibly more trouble than it's worth in terms of scheduling.

Reaction Score
I would think 8 teams should be manageable. I don't understand how FCS can pull off a full scale playoff system but FBS can barely handle four? 8 should be max; consider it the elite eight of college football. If it ever got to 16, then I can start to understand people feeling that it's getting convoluted and possibly more trouble than it's worth in terms of scheduling.
Not sure if you watched the segment but he did say he was happy with the present 4 team setup based on his experience at the FCS level. He said the student athlete was in a lot of cases really beat up by the time they made it to the championship game if they made it that far. And He was worried about finals overlapping with the Christmas break. I liked the focus that he showed. Nostical was right when he said "he wasn't good he was excellent". Only time will tell but more face time like this can't hurt the program at all.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nostical was right when he said "he wasn't good he was excellent". Only time will tell but more face time like this can't hurt the program at all.

Eh, we already knew he gave good quote. Let's win some games.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Had a good LOL... was looking up listings on TV guide and this came up:

gywf2pH.png

Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly. I got the impression that this was UConn finally showing the initiative to develop a relationship with ESPN and wisely taking advantage of the fact that they literally have a nationwide, flagship sports broadcasting network right in their backyard. Everyone knows UConn basketball, but this felt like Diaco introducing himself and the football program to the country; as well as possibly pitching the university to any P5 conference that may be paying attention. PP had his share of ESPN press but hardly had the charisma to pull off selling the program. They could've been interviewing the company custodian for all anybody across the country knew or cared.

If UConn is being proactive, I like that they're sending Diaco to do the talking. His ability to spin even the worst games into something positive will work well in selling UConn to the P5 if that is in fact what they're doing. He definitely had me running through walls with a full energy bucket at his introductory press conference. But, Diaco knows he can't just sit there and talk about football, he needs to sell the school and program every chance he gets.

As for PP, he was a bit of a monotonous venture during interviews (not including half time and post game cuz I absolutely hated his "we just need to execute" speech every damn time), but I enjoyed them because even though the college game has passed him by, he still has a wealth of football knowledge and I enjoyed listening to what he knew.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Bob Diaco comes off impressive when he talks. Now I want to see him look impressive when he coaches, like not punting 4th and 1 at midfield last game of the year when youre playing a 0-11, FB team and your own team is 2-9.

I've had enough hearing about how great he is based on he looks in front of a camera. I want to see how great he is based on what he does from the sideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom