Diaco on Passing and Play Calling (Silver and Fuller) | The Boneyard

Diaco on Passing and Play Calling (Silver and Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/diaco-on-passing-and-play-calling

>>“I shutdown the passing. I believe in that,” Diaco said Sunday. “I am watching the special teams, I am watching the defense play, and got a chance to watch our first four passes. If I didn’t intervene, I was concerned the game would be 35-0, 28-0. I’m more inclined to play ping pong and win the game on special teams than just continue to call plays on offense just to call plays on offense.

“Based on climate, early passes we saw, and based on how backed up like we were, that’s why the play pattern tried to tilt (to run only). Which was what we needed to do, which gave us an opportunity at the end of the game to win the game. As bad as it was, crazy as it was, as abysmal as it was looking on offense, we still had an opportunity to win the game at the end of the game.”

Diaco was in his fourth game as coach, in his first league game, and made a call early to scrap it. Winning ugly would have been fine for him. Diaco made clear Sunday that that was his choice.

“I am responsible to what happens to the football,” Diaco said...”<<

Reaction Score
UConn's Diaco has no regrets over shutting down passing game
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/09/uconns-diaco-has-no-regrets-over.html

>>Diaco said he is still encouraged with the direction the program is going in as his staff continues to develop young players.

"Our whole organization understands how much work needs to be done, how far away this program was or is nobody is under false pretenses," Diaco said.

"I see coaching taking root. (Personnel) change, we are not going there. We are taking over a downtrodden, losing program, we're working on winning and it is going to take some time. There's a long way to go."<<

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, but many of us would rather lose 28-0 due to incompetence of the players than 17-14 due to unwillingness of the coaches to compete. There's no shame in losing a game, but there's shame in losing because you chose to fight with one arm tied behind your back.

As for the idea of winning the game on special teams without an offense, how often does that happen? Has anyone ever seen a team that won that way? If you don't have playmakers on offense, how can you have playmakers on special teams?

Reaction Score
Just replying to the words of some. And for that, they got what they were asking for. The players can only do what is asked of them. To say this is all on the coaches, shame on you. Three games with a mediocre passing game and a seemingly in-effective offense, follow that with a sack/fumble on the second pass play of the game and you blame the guy for not dropping back to pass in wet/sloppy/fumble prone/hard passing conditions. Again, shame on you. What would you do? Just curious. The hand has already been tied behind their back with the play of the OL. Don't kid yourself.

Reaction Score
Just replying to the words of some. And for that, they got what they were asking for. The players can only do what is asked of them. To say this is all on the coaches, shame on you.

Lots of Muntzlike Strawmen being built. Have fun arguing with yourselves and claiming victory.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, but many of us would rather lose 28-0 due to incompetence of the players than 17-14 due to unwillingness of the coaches to compete. There's no shame in losing a game, but there's shame in losing because you chose to fight with one arm tied behind your back.

As for the idea of winning the game on special teams without an offense, how often does that happen? Has anyone ever seen a team that won that way? If you don't have playmakers on offense, how can you have playmakers on special teams?

Thank you for putting it so well. His issue isn't going to be with message board posters this week. It's going to be with his players.

Reaction Score
It is what is. He did own up to it. PJ is right though, they needed a miracle to win that game at the end with the approach they chose to employ. A miracle did not happen, I just wish they would have passed a little earlier in the fourth quarter. Losing 17-14 is no different than losing 28 to 7.

This team needs a win in the worst way, the temple quarterback PJ Walker scares the crap out of me.

Reaction Score
Lots of Muntzlike Strawmen being built. Have fun arguing with yourselves and claiming victory.

Not claiming victory. Just wondering what their bitching will get them too now. He answered their calls. I understand they want change. As do I. Just stating he has done as instructed by some. If you don't like it well then that's not my problem.

Reaction Score
@BNich , there are no moral victories in losing close games. He admitted to something we all saw Friday night. Why exactly is that encouraging, courageous or anything else?

Reaction Score
@BNich , there are no moral victories in losing close games. He admitted to something we all saw Friday night. Why exactly is that encouraging, courageous or anything else?

Read my previous post or I will re-post for you. Not claiming moral victory or saying anything is encouraging. I have not used any of those words in a positive light in this thread. Don't put words in my mouth or saying they came from my keyboard.

Not claiming victory. Just wondering what their bitching will get them too now. He answered their calls. I understand they want change. As do I. Just stating he has done as instructed by some. If you don't like it well then that's not my problem.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's a bit encouraging in that it's the straightest he has been with the media yet. He at least was honest about what we all saw. That's a step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I didn't say you said anything. I said Diaco said what we all saw. He shut down the passing game for fear of getting blown out. I didn't know maybe losing 17-14 is better than losing 28-7, I don't know what else to take from what Diaco said.

@whaler, I guess you have a point, except its what we've been saying since Friday. He turtled up to keep it close. I like the coach, I don't like that type of strategy or coaching. We will see where it gets us.

Reaction Score
I didn't say you said anything. I said Diaco said what we all saw. He shut down the passing game for fear of getting blown out. I didn't know maybe losing 17-14 is better than losing 28-7, I don't know what else to take from what Diaco said.

@whaler, I guess you have a point, except its what we've been saying since Friday. He turtled up to keep it close. I like the coach, I don't like that type of strategy or coaching. We will see where it gets us.

Just felt like you called me out as if I was supporting him. That's not the case. Just saying those calling for his acceptance/admittance to something they got what they asked for. That's it and that's all. Again, if you weren't in this camp, why bother responding to my comments? They weren't directed toward you.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni was incompetent and outdated. diaco is arrogant and....ignorant? stubborn? incompetent?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

It is what is. He did own up to it. PJ is right though, they needed a miracle to win that game at the end with the approach they chose to employ. A miracle did not happen, I just wish they would have passed a little earlier in the fourth quarter. Losing 17-14 is no different than losing 28 to 7.
Agree they should have opened it up a little bit earlier in the game. The strategy isn't about the final score though, it's about situations in the game... in other words, it's preferable to need 1-2 miracles than it is to be down a bunch of scores and needing 4 miracles or more. Especially if one miracle is not contingent on having a competant OL but 4 miracles probably is.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

This was a 7 point game until deep into the 4th quarter. I think Diaco's strategy was fine but we couldn't make the plays.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Diaco appears to be a guy that does everything to the extreme. When he shuts down the passing game, he really shuts it down. Bob, you had 4 passes in three quarters. Don't be so dang literal next time. If you sprinkled in 2 more per quarter we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's amazing the WR still had their heads in the game with 2 minutes left to score that TD.

Reaction Score
@junglehusky I get it. When they went up two scores with under four minutes the game was essentially over. He opened it up just a little bit albeit against a prevent and the kids surprised.

My biggest issue that game was Geremy Davis getting one pass all game. When your game plan consists of getting your best offensive player one touch, that bothers me. I understand shutting down the passing game but there was on series near midfield where we ran Ron Johnson three consecutive plays for negative yardage and punted. Trying to flip field position I suppose. I'll live with whatever happens this year, but the offense's body language became very telling. That was a dejected group. Davis, a captain looked like he didn't want to even try to block. God these kids need a win for their psyche.

Reaction Score

If UCONN recovered the onside kick and kicked a field goal and won the game in overtime, everyone would be talking about what a genius he is. I take what Diaco said at face value. 1 QB, another fumble score in 1st period, monsoon rains. He played the cards the best way he could and still almost pulled out a W! He is building a foundation. The Cement mixers and the Dump trucks are at the job site. The sheet rockers and trim carpenters won't be on the job for a while.

Reaction Score

This team needs a win in the worst way, the temple quarterback PJ Walker scares the crap out of me.

I don't know who came up with the line, "there are no moral victories" because in the case of a rebuilding/teaching program, I believe you have to take what you get.
A. We have a qb for the Temple game and B. The team knows, particularly the Defense that they can hang in their during a game and give the team a chance to win. I would much rather redirect my game plan and come close to a W rather than get blown out in the second quarter. Although it looked like UCONN was totally out of the game, the fact is, they lost 17-14. Nothing to write home about or celebrate but I believe the kids learned a whole lot from that game than if it was a blowout!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If UCONN recovered the onside kick and kicked a field goal and won the game in overtime, everyone would be talking about what a genius he is. I take what Diaco said at face value. 1 QB, another fumble score in 1st period, monsoon rains. He played the cards the best way he could and still almost pulled out a W! He is building a foundation. The Cement mixers and the Dump trucks are at the job site. The sheet rockers and trim carpenters won't be on the job for a while.
Can you work trailers into your analogy somehow, or would that be too much to ask?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
. Just wondering what their bitching will get them too now.

Remember when they changed the third down audio a couple of weeks ago. Next step is realizing many care about beating Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom