Diaco channelling Belicheck | The Boneyard

Diaco channelling Belicheck

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"We get better every day. We're a bad football team. We're just way less bad than we were when I got here in December, so, it was a giant mess, colossal. And now it's still a mess, but it's less of a mess, a lot smaller mess."

Way too soon to fairly judge BD, but these kinds of quotes have been worrying me since the summer. It's fine to say that you inherited a mess, but saying it weekly is counter-productive. We get it Pasqualoni left a mess, but this is your team now. Please stop telling me why the team failing to perform is not your fault, coach. It makes me fell like you are in over your head.

Reaction Score
I agree with CL82. Bob, we understand you inherited a losing team from the PP era, but it is your team now. You need to own that. You do have talent on this team. Coach Weist was able to turn it around last year, and win the last 3 games against bad teams. You have not done a good job against some bad teams ie..Army, Tulane, South Florida. Stop making excuses,..us Huskie fans have seen some progress since the start of the season, but we and I believe the players too...would like to see some wins. So focus on that and stop with the excuses!!!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm waiting for somebody to channel some Bill Parcells and challenge this team by asking "when are you going to be tired of losing?". It's one thing to go through the motions in practice and say all of the team-speak "we respect our opponent" PC nonsense in the press leading up to games. It's quite another to show it on the field. Falling behind 14-0 early to a lousy team in a city that we need dominate is simply unacceptable. Saturday was, without question, the worst loss of the young Diaco era.

I wish someone would have asked him directly if the team will use this bye week to prep Boyle to be the team's QB for the remainder of the season. Zero reason to play Whitmer at all right now, even if we lose the remainder of our games 100-0 with Boyle. Redshirt is burned already so play the kid. Ready or not.

Reaction Score
I posted this on the basketball board as part of a separate discussion, but we will know a lot more about what Diaco can do with the program on September 13, 2015. Drop this game (or the Nova game) next year and it will be clear we have another dumpster fire on our hands.

Dooley

Reaction Score
And about this whole mess BS, I agree with everyone else on this thread: it's an excuse. You don't see Matt Cavanaugh going out there and saying "we're a mess". No. He's getting his team ready to play game in and game out in the best hockey conference in the country. They might not win every game, but G damn it, you are going to have to earn those 2 points if you're going to beat UCONN (1 Penn State game aside). Kevin Ollie didn't use APR as an excuse in 2012-13. Nope. He got his team to beat a ranked Michigan State team in a high exposure game in Germany to start the season en route to winning 20 "meaningless" games (but convinced the team that playing for "UCONN" was motivation enough).

This whole "this program is a mess" BS needs to stop. First, you're going to get the kids who are in "this mess" to tune you out eventually. Second, we all know it. We don't need to be reminded of it whenever we lose to Tulane, Army or USF. What we fans want to know is what are we doing to turn it around. Dropping embarrassing games to Army is taking two giant leaps backwards. At some point, everyone in that G-damn room needs to be asked "when are you going to be tired of losing?".

Dooley

Reaction Score
I posted this on the basketball board as part of a separate discussion, but we will know a lot more about what Diaco can do with the program on September 13, 2015. Drop this game (or the Nova game) next year and it will be clear we have another dumpster fire on our hands.

Agreed. As frustrating as 2014 has been, Diaco should (and will) get a 1 year mulligan. It's the 2015 season, right from the get-go, that he loses any sort of lengthy leash in inheriting a "mess" from the previous regime. Next year will be his team, with his QB, and over a year of practices to install what should be winning football attitudes and plays. The early schedule has two home games on it that we absolutely, positively MUST win: Villanova and Army.

Reaction Score
And about this whole mess BS, I agree with everyone else on this thread: it's an excuse. You don't see Matt Cavanaugh going out there and saying "we're a mess". No. .

It's Mike and and he was the coach last year.;)

Reaction Score
Agreed. As frustrating as 2014 has been, Diaco should (and will) get a 1 year mulligan. It's the 2015 season, right from the get-go, that he loses any sort of lengthy leash in inheriting a "mess" from the previous regime. Next year will be his team, with his QB, and over a year of practices to install what should be winning football attitudes and plays. The early schedule has two home games on it that we absolutely, positively MUST win: Villanova and Army.

Yes. Programs in worse shape than ours have turned things around in a year . . .

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I will break my self-imposed silence (which lasted all of 2 days) for this thread. I was waiting to see how Diaco would handle the press conferences following the Army game. The game already showed me the level of coach he is at this point in time (that is to say that he needs some obvious work from his first year, and maybe that was to be expected). But the post-game press conferences were going to show me what type of leader he was.

Well, if the quotes that Des has is all that he was willing to say, then I have my answer. The fact that he wasn't even able to own a single iota of the mess on Saturday is almost criminal. It really is. And look, I don't expect a first year coach to be perfect. But damn it, I expect him to be man enough to at least say, "I could have made some better pre-game preps and in-game adjustments." My goodness. Chandler was a leader. He owned a loss that wasn't his to own. It's time for Bob Diaco to step up and show the type of leader that HE is...

(I'll go back into my hole now)

Reaction Score
I will break my self-imposed silence (which lasted all of 2 days) for this thread. I was waiting to see how Diaco would handle the press conferences following the Army game. The game already showed me the level of coach he is at this point in time (that is to say that he needs some obvious work from his first year, and maybe that was to be expected). But the post-game press conferences were going to show me what type of leader he was.

Well, if the quotes that Des has is all that he was willing to say, then I have my answer. The fact that he wasn't even able to own a single iota of the mess on Saturday is almost criminal. It really is. And look, I don't expect a first year coach to be perfect. But damn it, I expect him to be man enough to at least say, "I could have made some better pre-game preps and in-game adjustments." My goodness. Chandler was a leader. He owned a loss that wasn't his to own. It's time for Bob Diaco to step up and show the type of leader that HE is...

(I'll go back into my hole now)

Pretty much this. We beat UCF and he's happy to talk about how the process is working. Showed bravado in talking up a rivalry with UCF. Now we lose to Army and it's just a bad team. OK. No way should he have allowed that tweet from Whitmer to stay up for more than 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
The fact that he wasn't even able to own a single iota of the mess on Saturday is almost criminal. It really is. And look, I don't expect a first year coach to be perfect. But damn it, I expect him to be man enough to at least say, "I could have made some better pre-game preps and in-game adjustments." My goodness. Chandler was a leader. He owned a loss that wasn't his to own. It's time for Bob Diaco to step up and show the type of leader that HE is...

To put it bluntly, if that's your standard, you'd be happy with maybe a half-dozen coaches in all of Division 1-A.

You'll never meet a more blameless lot than head football coaches . . .

Reaction Score
He should be pissed off after breaking down the game film. Yet another game where our own mistakes overwhelmingly cost us a win over play making, talent or skill mismatch.

Get back to work and fix it Bobby.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
To put it bluntly, if that's your standard, you'd be happy with maybe a half-dozen coaches in all of Division 1-A.

You'll never meet a more blameless lot than head football coaches . . .
Somewhat true - but real men take blame - this was a 7 minute search - if you cant critique yourself and associate things you do wrong you will never get better - and sometimes putting it out publicly is a means to an end.

You are correct - it is NOT common but even Boy Wonder Belichick has done it!

Dana Holgorsen - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...nia-coach-dana-holgorsen-takes-blame-for-loss
Gary Patterson - http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...y-one-person-you-can-blame-and-thats-me.html/
Mike Gundy - https://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=866731
Bonco Mendenhall - http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...r-Cougars-after-4th-straight-loss.html?pg=all
Skip Holtz - http://www.shreveporttimes.com/stor...9/22/holtz-takes-blame-la-tech-loss/16033981/
Greg Schiano - http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2010/10/your_comments_and_report_card.html

Reaction Score
Spot on thread. STFU and work on winning games. And when things don't go well stop telling us the players suck. Just cause he says it nicely with hugs and kisses and kumbaya, he is still saying the players suck. I could deal with the first year coaching mistakes and even the losses. The throwing players under the boss really sours me on college coaches. These ain't pros.

Reaction Score
That wasn't that bad, but he's gotten that message out plenty already. This is his program now. He and only him owns it going forward.

Reaction Score
I thought the process was working after the ECU and UCF games? We had progress. It was showing.

Now we are back to I inherited a mess?

It's maalox time.

Reaction Score
I'm going to write something that I probably shouldn't simply because..but WTF whatever.......I've defended the defensive preparation/defensive game planning - based on what I know of our team, after having watching it for a full season (and that includes the coaching staff).........Diaco is who he is, and time will still tell, if his system will work, because there are plenty of good things to look at, that he's done.....

but as much a sh---t Azzi Fudd, old coach full of piss and wind that Pasqualoni was - and didn't relate to the kids of the 21st century well long term - is there any doubt that Pasqualoni would have found a way to have the defenders kicking the crap out Angel Santiago every time he touched the ball?

We've had offensive problems for multiple years now, that hopefully we will be able to come out of soon, with what has hopefully been improved OL coaching and recruiting over time, to go with a decent set of backs and receivers by all accounts - and were starting over at QB again next season.........

the more I think about it, the more the quote bothers me - but I think the guy really just doesn't know what to say anymore in interviews. He's hit the freshmen / rookie wall. He'll get through it.

Reaction Score
And about this whole mess BS, I agree with everyone else on this thread: it's an excuse. You don't see Matt Cavanaugh going out there and saying "we're a mess". No. He's getting his team ready to play game in and game out in the best hockey conference in the country. They might not win every game, but G damn it, you are going to have to earn those 2 points if you're going to beat UCONN (1 Penn State game aside). Kevin Ollie didn't use APR as an excuse in 2012-13. Nope. He got his team to beat a ranked Michigan State team in a high exposure game in Germany to start the season en route to winning 20 "meaningless" games (but convinced the team that playing for "UCONN" was motivation enough).

This whole "this program is a mess" BS needs to stop. First, you're going to get the kids who are in "this mess" to tune you out eventually. Second, we all know it. We don't need to be reminded of it whenever we lose to Tulane, Army or USF. What we fans want to know is what are we doing to turn it around. Dropping embarrassing games to Army is taking two giant leaps backwards. At some point, everyone in that G-damn room needs to be asked "when are you going to be tired of losing?".
He has worn me out so much with it that now I contemplate going every week; whereas in the past it was never a question.

When he says we are a mess that he means coaches included.

Reaction Score
That wasn't that bad, but he's gotten that message out plenty already. This is his program now. He and only him owns it going forward.

Right. I asked the question the other day of somebody about what they would do differently to game plan than what we did, and it sparked some good talk. Happy to see that. I'll give my answer now.

How would I do it differently, internet poster nobody on the boneyard???

Hey HEAD COACH Bobby - how about next time you game plan for Army - instead of gearing your entire weeks preparation and multiple weeks before on defending the option properly, and building a defense to stop it - make sure your defensive coordinator knows to have somebody assigned on every defensive play call, to knock the QB's d----ck in the dirt on every single play, and let the D-coordinator work, and focus every ounce of energy on focusing on the offensive side of the ball - to exploit the obvious weakness in the team.

You're not a defensive coordinator anymore Bobby - you don't beat a football team, by spending all your time preparing to attack their strength.....you go after their weakness.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
"We get better every day. We're a bad football team. We're just way less bad than we were when I got here in December, so, it was a giant mess, colossal. And now it's still a mess, but it's less of a mess, a lot smaller mess."

Way too soon to fairly judge BD, but these kinds of quotes have been worrying me since the summer. It's fine to say that you inherited a mess, but saying it weekly is counter-productive. We get it Pasqualoni left a mess, but this is your team now. Please stop telling me why the team failing to perform is not your fault, coach. It makes me fell like you are in over your head.

I respect BD a lot more when he's honest like this. We know the team isn't playing well. They are playing better than before and I guess that's this issue. If they started playing like they are now against BYU and improved from there, we wouldn't be having this discussion. That's why the Army loss hurts. Instead of three solid games and two wins, we are questioning which team is an accurate depiction of the status of the squad. A bye week doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom