DFB Pokal and Budesliga 22/23 | The Boneyard

DFB Pokal and Budesliga 22/23

Reaction Score
I know I'm one of the only ones who follows The Bundesliga closely but I thought I would start a thread anyway... Even if I talk just to myself...

DFB Pokal biggest upset in the first round is Leverkusen out.

Top 6 in expected order of finish

Bayern Munich
Dortmund
RB Leipzig
Leverkusen
Freiburg
Mönchengladbach or Union Berlin

Bottom 6

Schalke
Stuttgart
Hertha Berlin
Werder Bremen Relegation Playoff
Augsburg Relegation
Bochum Relegation

Reaction Score
I follow to see if any German teams can play spoiler to Munich within the league (ha), in CL and how our Americans are performing.
Gio
Pefok
Scally
Pepi
Paredes
Che
Bello
and some others

Reaction Score
I follow to see if any German teams can play spoiler to Munich within the league (ha), in CL and how our Americans are performing.
Gio
Pefok
Scally
Pepi
Paredes
Che
Bello
and some others
I wish we would pick a couple up that would be sweet. Actually, that is what Mainz is best at, developing young players.

Reaction Score
A shame the league has become Bayerns feeder system

Reaction Score
A shame the league has become Bayerns feeder system
Yeah, the 50+1 rule is great in concept but when one club has 2x the resources of the second richest club the league it creates a steep hill for everyone else.

Reaction Score
It's also making it tough for Bayern to compete in CL, although I would prefer if all leagues went to the 50+1 rule

Reaction Score
Yeah, that breaks my heart to see Bayern struggle at anything.

Reaction Score
Following the Zweite Bundesliga (or the 3rd league if it comes to that) is much more suspenseful. Always several teams competing for promotion, demotion and/or the chance to play in the relegation play-offs. Big city teams are frequently playing teams from smaller towns in league play in addition to in the Pokal. It is always interesting watching teams like Kaiserslautern fall on hard times down to the Third league and even Regional leagues and then climbing back up. Also there is the pride of cubs in a city the size of Regensburg having Jahn maintain membership in the second division for six years and hopefully more. For clubs like that 40 points and Klassenerhalt is the all important goal.

Three Bundesliga teams have been knocked off in the first round (two games remain to be played). One of the three Köln lost to Regensburg on PKs. 2nd Round draw is Sept 4.

Reaction Score
Following the Zweite Bundesliga (or the 3rd league if it comes to that) is much more suspenseful. Always several teams competing for promotion, demotion and/or the chance to play in the relegation play-offs. Big city teams are frequently playing teams from smaller towns in league play in addition to in the Pokal. It is always interesting watching teams like Kaiserslautern fall on hard times down to the Third league and even Regional leagues and then climbing back up. Also there is the pride of cubs in a city the size of Regensburg having Jahn maintain membership in the second division for six years and hopefully more. For clubs like that 40 points and Klassenerhalt is the all important goal.

Three Bundesliga teams have been knocked off in the first round (two games remain to be played). One of the three Köln lost to Regensburg on PKs. 2nd Round draw is Sept 4.
Tell me about it! That's me every year; it's funny how we have the exact same outlook.
  1. Get 40 points
  2. Don't lose in the first round of the Pokal
Everything else is gravy.

Reaction Score
Tell me about it! That's me every year; it's funny how we have the exact same outlook.
  1. Get 40 points
  2. Don't lose in the first round of the Pokal
Everything else is gravy.
Well for Mainz Klassenerhalt means remaining in the 1. Bundesliga and if you fall into the second division the goal seems to be to get promoted back up. In Regensburg fans often suffer from nervousness about demotion to the 3. Liga. If Jahn ever made to the 1st there isn't the financial wherewithal to keep up. Better to stay in the 2nd and not suffer through what Fürth did last season.

Reaction Score
Well for Mainz Klassenerhalt means remaining in the 1. Bundesliga and if you fall into the second division the goal seems to be to get promoted back up. In Regensburg fans often suffer from nervousness about demotion to the 3. Liga. If Jahn ever made to the 1st there isn't the financial wherewithal to keep up. Better to stay in the 2nd and not suffer through what Fürth did last season.
True but you guys seem pretty well entrenched in the middle of the table, right? That's what i seem to remember without looking it up.
I actually think the best place for Mainz would be in the second division; we can't keep up with the tons of money getting dumped into 75% of the first division clubs.

Reaction Score
True but you guys seem pretty well entrenched in the middle of the table, right? That's what i seem to remember without looking it up.
I actually think the best place for Mainz would be in the second division; we can't keep up with the tons of money getting dumped into 75% of the first division clubs.
Middle of the table for Regensburg? Sort of - Jahn spends many weeks in the middle of table after getting off to good starts and then fading - dropping through the middle of ranks until ending the season in 14th or 15th as in the last two years. And this year the first month was very good with two wins a draw and the PK win in the Pokal. Last week was a loss on a late goal. The manager substituted in four players at the 82nd minute in a 0-0 away game and in the 83rd Hanover scored to take the game 1-0. Today was home loss to Karlsruhe by 0-6. Ugh! As the club home page says "Ein Rabenschwarzer Tag"

The stadium in "Rengschburg" is a nice modern facility, but only seats 15,000 so the top division would be quite a stretch for a city of just over 150,000. Staying up in the second division is all that can be realistically hoped for.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I watched parts of that game yesterday and immediately regretted my post. I jinxed you... Sorry.

Reaction Score
Auf geht's VfB!

I don't follow soccer but lived in Stuttgart for a while, so I have an affinity for the Heimteam.

Reaction Score
I was too disgusted with Jahn to make any comments the last couple of weeks, but finally got a point in a 0-0 remis at home. Still not happy though - One point in four games and zero goals. There are a new loan players now available on offense who may help an the manager shook up the defense yesterday. He had not been playing Kennedy (the Canadian sometimes national player) much, but played him the entire game. It has always been my impression that the backs do well with him in. Kennedy did not play at all in the previous two matches Jahn lost 0-6 and 0-4. If you can't score yourself, at least you can get a point if he keep the opponents out of the net.

Reaction Score
I was too disgusted with Jahn to make any comments the last couple of weeks, but finally got a point in a 0-0 remis at home. Still not happy though - One point in four games and zero goals. There are a new loan players now available on offense who may help an the manager shook up the defense yesterday. He had not been playing Kennedy (the Canadian sometimes national player) much, but played him the entire game. It has always been my impression that the backs do well with him in. Kennedy did not play at all in the previous two matches Jahn lost 0-6 and 0-4. If you can't score yourself, at least you can get a point if he keep the opponents out of the net.
Yeah, I watched part of that game against Kiel, the first time I watched them this season. They did look pretty harmless. Luckily there are four AWFUL teams behind you so hopefully you can get it together soon.

But Düsseldorf is definitely doable in the next DFB Pokal round for you guys.

Reaction Score
Nice win for Regensburg on the weekend... Big 3 points for you! Hopefully you can keep it going tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Yup, those 3 points are big. They gave us a little separation from the relegation zone, at least for now. Mainz is doing well and it is saved a lot of potential embarassment to beat Regionalliga opponent Lübeck in the second round of the DFB Pokal today.

As far as I am concerned Regensburg's first round win against Köln already makes this year's Pokal campaign a success. Klassenerhalt is the most important thing now. However, tomorrow fellow 2. Liga club Düsseldorf visits for the 2nd Pokal round and it would be nice to get revenge for a 4-0 loss to them in league play earlier.

Reaction Score
Well, spsct, I am glad I did not feel heavily invested in today's Pokal game - 5 minutes in 0-1, 11 minutes later 0-2. Ended 0-3. Düsseldorf seems to have our number.

Reaction Score
Well, spsct, I am glad I did not feel heavily invested in today's Pokal game - 5 minutes in 0-1, 11 minutes later 0-2. Ended 0-3. Düsseldorf seems to have our number.
Yeah, I saw that. Bummer. At least you can focus on the season now. I'm happy we're through but we can lose now; I don't want to get to the semis or final and then lose. The Bayern - Leipzig - Dortmund buzz-saws are still there and eventually one of them will win.

Reaction Score
The 2. Bundesliga opened the second half of the season last week and now 10 of the 18 clubs are within four points of last places. Nerves are stretched incredibly tight. If Regensburg loses to Bielefeld tomorrow at home I don't think I will be able to read the post game comments.

Reaction Score
These Americans have knocked us off two weeks in a row in the last 5 minutes... It's getting tiresome...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom