Developing Jackson’s Game | The Boneyard

Developing Jackson’s Game

Reaction Score
If he had any kind of shooting touch he could be a top ten draft pick. This summer besides working on his shot someone has to work with him on avoiding so many fouls, they blow by him and he reaches in. This is an intriguing player who could really break out given the right coaching instruction.

Reaction Score
I hope every single player is putting up 500 3s per day the entire offseason. They can become great shooters

Reaction Score
Andre needs to start over. Stand 3-4 feet from the hoop and form shoot with one hand, step back a few feet and repeat. Over and over and over again until he’s stroking 3’s one handed like free throws.
He needs to shoot 1,000-1500 3's a day

Reaction Score
He’s insanely athletic and every one of our games has the announcer drooling saying he is our future star. I disagree based on that shooting. The fouls can be addressed.

Reaction Score
He needs to work on his defense or his jump shot improvements won't matter. Just saying.

Reaction Score
On defense he just stands up and barely ever gets in a true defensive stance. It’s just bad habits from years of not needing to be in a defensive stance. That will be fine.
the jumpshot form is an emergency that needs to be addressed. Everything else like the handle, and the passing, and playing with confidence is only going to get better naturally.

Reaction Score
On defense he just stands up and barely ever gets in a true defensive stance. It’s just bad habits from years of not needing to be in a defensive stance. That will be fine.
the jumpshot form is an emergency that needs to be addressed. Everything else like the handle, and the passing, and playing with confidence is only going to get better naturally.
Agree on all points. Good analysis.
I will also add, Jackson is a great kid, who will represent the University well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually - I think he needs to embrace a Ben Simmons type of mindset - GET TO THE RIM. I kept waiting for him to drive by his defender and it never happened this year - I think he can. Once he started attacking he will be able to drive and kick to other using his great vision. I'm not sure even with work he is going to be a strong 3 point shooter- of course being s treat from there would open things up more for a drive - but he can control a game in so many ways, I think shooting is going to be the last piece to come into place.

Reaction Score
Do we post one of these every few days just in case Jackson reads the BY? To prevent it from sliding down the threads?
Jackson knows he needs to shoot better
Everyone on the boneyard thinks he needs to to improve his shooting

How many more of these do we need? (Goes to start a Bouk should stay or go thread)

Reaction Score
He needs to work on his defense or his jump shot improvements won't matter. Just saying.
He shoots free throws text book. Keats start from there. He has the foundation we need. His big foul tally late season was going for highlight blocks as he made sure the world saw him sky near the rim. That’s my dude. But he is a young pup. He’ll be pulling this sled next year. No worries. He may not be a 3 pt threat, but a mid range game would be solid.

Reaction Score
He needs to shoot 1,000-1500 3's a day

Shooting 1000 3s a day with form as terrible as his is useless. He's too inconsistent with his hand placement, pick up points, balance, etc. 200 GOOD shots a day would be much more valuable.

Reaction Score
As I think about what has to happen for this team to get to the next level, I've tried to think about general areas of work for the entire team - what do we do well collectively and what do we NOT do well.

I think its pretty fascinating how poor our players are at playing thru contact, generally.

It is an absolute skill and something that you can practice and develop with technique, staying on balance, and understanding situational basketball. Did the refs just call a bad foul? Dribble and initiate some contact. Are you in the bonus, dribble into some contact, throw your head bad when you are hit. Stay on balance when you drive to the rim. Coming off a screen? get the guy on your shoulder and create an angle to the rim. At the highest level when the games get gritty, those players who know how to draw fouls, get to the line, finish at the rim, and play physical defense without fouling are what separates good and great teams.

Coincidentally, this is also an area we are horrible at, and we get punished routinely by good teams.

Case in point -

1. We are one of the worst teams in the country at layups, despite our size and athleticism.
2. We are one of the worst teams in the country at fouling & free throws against
3. We are mediocre at best at getting to the foul line
4. When teams bodied up Bouknight, they slowed him down.

Examples of teams that do this really well:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Lol what? Tyler Polley is a high major D1 player strictly because he can put the ball in the rim...otherwise yikes.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to work on shooting mechanics.

Then from there he can start working on shooting off the dribble, catch and shoot situations, and then comes his handle which can lead him to driving or taking mid range jumpshots.

This is a huge summer for Andre. Probably one of the biggest ever for our one of our frosh..

Reaction Score
As I think about what has to happen for this team to get to the next level, I've tried to think about general areas of work for the entire team - what do we do well collectively and what do we NOT do well.

I think its pretty fascinating how poor our players are at playing thru contact, generally.

It is an absolute skill and something that you can practice and develop with technique, staying on balance, and understanding situational basketball. Did the refs just call a bad foul? Dribble and initiate some contact. Are you in the bonus, dribble into some contact, throw your head bad when you are hit. Stay on balance when you drive to the rim. Coming off a screen? get the guy on your shoulder and create an angle to the rim. At the highest level when the games get gritty, those players who know how to draw fouls, get to the line, finish at the rim, and play physical defense without fouling are what separates good and great teams.

Coincidentally, this is also an area we are horrible at, and we get punished routinely by good teams.

Case in point -

1. We are one of the worst teams in the country at layups, despite our size and athleticism.
2. We are one of the worst teams in the country at fouling & free throws against
3. We are mediocre at best at getting to the foul line
4. When teams bodied up Bouknight, they slowed him down.

Examples of teams that do this really well:
Yeah, Calhoun and Howie - had pretty good drills playing through contact - LOL
Now the impulse Serbs to be to avoid contact on the drive and counter- intuitively that actually increases the risk of injury with bad falls.

Reaction Score
Shooting doesn't matter unless he can stay on the court. He's too foul-prone. Averaged as many fouls per game this year (2.8) as he did rebounds (2.9) and points (2.7), and that's in 16 minutes per game.

Separately (though it contributes to his fouls), he plays defense like a lacrosse player right now, usually giving a ball carrier a step in order to make a hero-check on their stick from behind to create a ground ball. The problem is that this only works if you're 100% accurate in terms of check placement and timing. In basketball, this amounts to blocks from behind/glass pins which is simply not how refs call the game. We can complain about that all we want but it's the truth. He's gotta adjust his defense before we expect refs to adjust their calls to him.

Reaction Score
Do we post one of these every few days just in case Jackson reads the BY? To prevent it from sliding down the threads?
Jackson knows he needs to shoot better
Everyone on the boneyard thinks he needs to to improve his shooting

How many more of these do we need? (Goes to start a Bouk should stay or go thread)
So to be clear, you regret continuously reading all the posts, posting yourself,, and go back to whittling?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom