Deshields quote in USA Today article on the all-USA team | The Boneyard

Deshields quote in USA Today article on the all-USA team

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Toughest opponent: "Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (now at Connecticut). She comes off a ton of screens and she’s extremely strong, powerful and quick. For her size, you wouldn’t expect her to be that quick. Plus she’s a pure shooter, so if you leave her open, she won’t miss."

LINK

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And she's judging Kaleena from at least a year ago. KML is at a new level.

Diamond says that humility is undervalued. Hmm.

She's trying to learn not to take possessions off. That's what Geno teaches. Pop in some Maya Moore videos on this point.

Damn, I wish we had gotten Linnae Harper. It may take time, but I see her filling the A'dia Mathies role at Kentucky.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gotta remember to get a USA Today.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"Underrated virtue: Humility. A lot of people have the talent and ability but they lack that one quality, humility, that sets them apart from the rest."

Was this a joke? Did she leave off "and I have it"???

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"Underrated virtue: Humility. A lot of people have the talent and ability but they lack that one quality, humility, that sets them apart from the rest."

Was this a joke? Did she leave off "and I have it"???

C'mon. Do you really know the kid? And do you really pay that much attention to what 16 and 17 year-olds say? I can't imagine how I would have reacted to a reporter at that age (or even now;) ).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Damn, I wish we had gotten Linnae Harper. It may take time, but I see her filling the A'dia Mathies role at Kentucky.
Yea, I really liked her in the McD's game. Seems like a really hard worker. And very unselfish.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
C'mon. Do you really know the kid? And do you really pay that much attention to what 16 and 17 year-olds say? I can't imagine how I would have reacted to a reporter at that age (or even now;) ).

I've read other quotes from her that don't show much humility.

It's like the joke "My humility is my best quality."

Pay attention? It was just in an article I read. Not sure why you are busting me for it.

HGN

Reaction Score
After reading the article , and seeing the 1st , 2nd , and 3rd All-USA Teams , how in the world could they not list a player that averaged over 30-points a game ?? Set school and State scoring records and led her team to Championships. I just couldn't understand it.

I sincerely hope that Saniya Chong takes that oversight as a challenge , and over the next 4 years prove all of the USA Team and McDonald's Team voters wrong. Come to Storrs and play hard young lady, do your thing on the court and next March hold up that NC Trophy. That will be all the Proof and Validation you will need.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually, in the WBCA game, Saniya played as well as anyone in that group. Scaife looked best, Davis impressed, Plum made shots, and Harper looked good too.

We'll see how their careers play out.

Reaction Score
I've read other quotes from her that don't show much humility.

It's like the joke "My humility is my best quality."

Pay attention? It was just in an article I read. Not sure why you are busting me for it.
And is your humility your best quality?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And she's judging Kaleena from at least a year ago. KML is at a new level.

Diamond says that humility is undervalued. Hmm.

She's trying to learn not to take possessions off. That's what Geno teaches. Pop in some Maya Moore videos on this point.

If you read the article, at least in the paper, I think 3-4 of the girls listed humility as an undervalued quality. Not sure if it was specific to them or just a general undervalued quality. A couple of them talked about how some players don't show much humility.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with Mil - Wish we'd landed Harper. She's gonna be a really good one. I'm still bummed DD chose UNC, and while I think it probably had a fair amount to do with the free for all coaching of Hatchell, I'm not sure I can tell whether or not DD is humble. Maybe she wasn't so much in other quotes, maybe she's changed, or trying to change. I imagine a 17 year old who changed her mind has gone through a lot. And picking the college they want to attend is probably the biggest decision of their young lives. Lots of pressure on them for sure...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess I missed the DD dis that got us pissed at her. I did click in to the article and picked up the confidence/arrogance thing. The one that had me going a bit was her declaration about how easily she picks up new moves, etc. Now, 5 hours later I recall someone I know very well who has that uncanny knack, so I can know longer rack that up as spoiled child big mouthism. What it bespeaks is a dedication to your sport, an uncanny eye for detail and a gift for knowing how to translate that into control of your own body. When the revelation came to me it involved intercollegiate equestrian eventing, a really difficult 3 fence combination, a horse a rider had never ridden before, and a daughter who sat watching competition for two hours and then asked the horse to take an entirely different line and 4 not 5 strides to that last fence. The whole place went nuts. Some people have a gift. It is special.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

at the 4:12 mark. It is an interesting quote.

Whenever I listen to Taurasi speak, I keep thinking it's Geno talking. That girl was as perfect a match for Coach as I can think of.

I would not be surprised if Geno was the original source for "don't be so humble, you are not that good". That sounds EXACTLY like him.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Re Diamond D- I saw that Pat Sumerall show one late Sunday late am a year or so ago on the rising High School Super Stars in the country. I happenned to see the one on Diamond by accident- probably her Sophomore yr. And I believe her AAU coach was the same as Maya's! And the interviewer asked the coach if Diamond was another Maya Moore? The coach was taken back, and was very slow and cautious and deliberate with her words. I am paraphrasing, but she said there may possibly never be another Maya Moore, because of her Basketball ability, Athleticism, and the type of individual that she truly was. She said the question wasn't really fair, but Diamond did have the basketball potential. It was more telling on how she said what she said, and what she did not say about Diamond's personal qualities. Did anyone else see it and remember the give and take as I remember it? And she may be a great person. I just remember the coach was not willing to put anyone in the overall category of Maya-the entire package. She was and certainly still is something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom