DeShields leaving UT, going professional | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DeShields leaving UT, going professional

Reaction Score
Williams needs to show her perimeter abilities as a senior. But yeah, I agree that Williams is a better prospect, but Deshields will be right up there with her.... I'm guessing #5-#6 at this point.

Williams has already shown a very good mid-range shot and while she hasn't shown a 3 pt game DeShields has shown that she hasn't one. Williams is a better inside scorer and is miles ahead of DeShields as a defender and rebounder, to say nothing about their attitudes. Any GM who sees these two as close is blind.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
1 Washington was going to a ACC school regardless, she has ties to North Carolina and was really hoping for a ND offer.

2 what's wrong with kids wanting to play together? Isn't Lexi trying to get her best friend Williams on the UConn team?

3 I've seen diamond on the court clapping and cheering her teammates on, yes she a bit of a ball hong but some of the best players in the world don't always trust there teammates.

4 oh no according to you Megan Walker isn't a good person?

5 there's 2 sides to ever story. I'm sure teammates don't always get along.

6 I got nothing.
You, of course, are welcome to be a fan of DD, but you missed my point entirely. I was merely trying to point out some of the reasons people seemed sour on her, since several posters asked. By the way, immediately after my post a LVol fan said s/he basically agreed with everything I said.

Regarding #2, Where did I say there was anything wrong with kids wanting to play together? I was pointing out that not only did DD orchestrate the quartet to UNC, but then promptly left after 1 year at UNC. I've yet to see ANY UCONN player do that. Ever.

And please don't put words into my mouth (your "nugget" at #4). When you hear me say something negative about Megan, or any other UCONN player (or ANY WCBB player for that matter), then feel free to have at it, but that comment in particular was just silly.

Reaction Score
They didnt really underachieve that season... if the regional final was anywhere other than Stanford's home court.... they most likely would have made the final 4. Not that I was complaining
If you read my post carefully, I never implied that the team underachieved. I stated they underachieved in respect to DD expectations. She probably expected to be able to make the final four no matter what the circumstance. She might have also been influenced by the release of " that " assistant coach. It just appeared that the scenario she had originally planned wasn't going to happen in her eyes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't know. Just off the top of my head I have Wilson, Gabby, Mitchell, Turner (if healthy), Canada, Billings and possibly Vivians, Russell & Nared going ahead of DD. I'm sure I've left out others.
Oldude, I must respectfully disagree your assessment. We all know the NBA and WNBA draft on upside and other than Wilson, DD has the most upside than the others. Gabby is an absolute tweener- her outside shot is suspect and her size in not truly a post; Mitchell has no defense, has shown no willingness or skill to pass; Turner is unknown (and is the only other real upside talent listed); I would ask for you to take a deep breath, let go of the DD angst, and then realistically assess Canada (very nice but smaller and not sure she can create her own shot), Billings- very raw and requires a lot of work; as for the other 3 you list- again, your angst is clouding your skill assessment. Someone else mentioned Nurse and while we see all the intangibles she brings, no WNBA executive would select Kia over DD based on "games changer potential".
My own take on this situation is 2 major points:
1. Something is missing on this story; there appears to be significantly more drama behind the scenes that will eventually come out ( it always does).
2. While players have individual will, the way the program has performed on the court, in the press conferences after games and now the rumored/known prior acts by Cooper simply show a lack of control by CHW. Would anyone expect to see any of this play out at UConn, ND, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State or DePaul (to name a few)? There are very specific expectations and ramifications that would be enforced.

I get it, DD is a very polarizing player due to her skills and our expectations on those skills.
Respectfully submitted.

Reaction Score
Ironic that an earlier article detailed Holly's attempt to make this year's team, well...more "teamlike". Me thinks DD didn't take kindly to the team not revolving around her. I'm confident this will make the Vols a much better team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Haven't read anything but the quote by Fleser. If that's all there is, Ms. Warlick sounds pretty defensive.

Minimal statement of the departure. No well wishing, or we'll miss her, or anything about her contribution.

At greater length, and I paraphrase: "We aren't going to hell; we'll be fine I tell ya."

I'd be interested to hear ya girl Margo's take on this latest revelation, as she bleeds orange and is a die-hard LV fan.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I've ridiculed DD's play over the past couple of years as much as anyone has. But at times she was electrifying, and, since their playoff run in Spring 2016, overall she's been better than she's been bad. Sure, she might have been a toxic influence on the fab four frosh. But she might have grown up a bit and taken the burden of senior leadership. It would have been good for everyone. Now, she'll surely be an undisciplined pro, getting pretty fair money because she's a crowd-pleaser. But who would want her on an Olympic team or anywhere where team play is demanded? Really sad to waste such natural talent.

As to it being a near-miss disaster if she had chosen UConn, I would very much have liked to have seen that: wonder if the program would have shaped her or whether she would have transferred out....

Let's see, she announced upon committing to UNC that she was happy going there because she was going to play the game her way. Then she leaves UNC after one year, and now leaves UT after three years (one sitting out) and after announcing that she was going to play next year to provide guidance to the freshmen. Can you even conceive of this player getting along with Geno Auriemma or lasting at UConn?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude, I must respectfully disagree your assessment. We all know the NBA and WNBA draft on upside and other than Wilson, DD has the most upside than the others. Gabby is an absolute tweener- her outside shot is suspect and her size in not truly a post; Mitchell has no defense, has shown no willingness or skill to pass; Turner is unknown (and is the only other real upside talent listed); I would ask for you to take a deep breath, let go of the DD angst, and then realistically assess Canada (very nice but smaller and not sure she can create her own shot), Billings- very raw and requires a lot of work; as for the other 3 you list- again, your angst is clouding your skill assessment. Someone else mentioned Nurse and while we see all the intangibles she brings, no WNBA executive would select Kia over DD based on "games changer potential".
1. Something is missing on this story; there appears to be significantly more drama behind the scenes that will eventually come out ( it always does).
2. While players have individual will, the way the program has performed on the court, in the press conferences after games and now the rumored/known prior acts by Cooper simply show a lack of control by CHW. Would anyone expect to see any of this play out at UConn, ND, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State or DePaul (to name a few)? There are very specific expectations and ramifications that would be enforced.

I get it, DD is a very polarizing player due to her skills and our expectations on those skills.
Respectfully submitted.
I have no doubt that some WNBA GM & HC will pull the trigger and draft DD either in the 1st or 2nd round, tantalized by the skill set and convinced that their organization can turn her into a consistent performer and team player. That's why GM's and HC's lose their jobs.

Thinking about where DD could end up, I'd like to see her with Maya and the Lynx. Maya would be in her face in a heartbeat if she pulled any of the nonsense she got away with in college, probably forcing her to suit up in the parking lot until she learned to be part of the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Respectfully submitted.
One other point. Gabby will be a guard in the pros. She is a shutdown defender with incredible athleticism who will continue to get better in all facets of the game. Any GM that takes DD ahead of Gabby should be fired on the spot. Mark my word, Gabby will be the 2nd player drafted after Wilson in next year's draft.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone has noticed the avatar change. No more "Carnac the great". I would have changed my handle too, but the system would not allow me to. I'm not in the prediction business anymore. I had fun with it for a while, but I got tired of it, and moved on.

But I am going to stick my chest out this one last time and say I told you so. I said emphatically way back on January 19, (as well on other occasions) that Diamond DeShields was NOT coming back next year. I publicly (here in the yard) dined on a little crow after she made her announcement that she was in fact coming back for her senior year. No one was more surprised about that decision that me. Everything (crystal ball, Ouija board, tarot cards, rabbit feet, envelopes, etc. you name it) that I had at my disposal at that time said she was not coming back. ;)

I also predicted before the season began that no team would go undefeated last season. I was correct on that one too. However I would give anything to have been wrong on that one. I didn't see UConn getting to 36-0 back in September. I was heart broken that we lost, and by the way we lost. Here is that post from January below:

Massengill is 2018 - DD will definitely be gone by then.

The answer
: "Gone to the WNBA. The question.Where will Diamond DeShields be next year?

My first real "step way out there on a limb prediction" of the season. Next year, color her gone! :cool:

Carnac, Jan 19, 2017Report
#25+ QuoteReply

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One other point. Gabby will be a guard in the pros. She is a shutdown defender with incredible athleticism who will continue to get better in all facets of the game. Any GM that takes DD ahead of Gabby should be fired on the spot. Mark my word, Gabby will be the 2nd player drafted after Wilson in next year's draft.

Marked,

How to take a screenshot in Windows
https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/windows.html
Ok.... see you next April ;)

if G Williams is in fact the #2 pick....... we wont bring this convo up

Carnac

Reaction Score
I said this all along from the moment she transferred to Tennessee. I knew she would not finish her last year and would go pro instead. No surprise for me...here... The surprise was...up to this point she had said she was coming back...now, that declaration threw me for a loop. And, BAM! Here we are, things are as expected.

Can't wait to see Margo's next video... lol :)

Ditto.

Reaction Score
The question.Where will Diamond DeShields be next year?

ATL is looking like a #7 - #8 ranked team, so that would work out great if DeShields is the #5 - #6 pick.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The hatred for DD is one of the most consistent things about some of the posters here.

DD is going to be an incredible pro. And as good as Williams is, there is no chance at all that any WNBA executive is going to take her over DD. Williams relies more on her athletic ability than her basketball skill. DD has far superior basketball skill and her game will translate much better to the pro game. Maybe my opinion will change after watching Williams play a full season at the 3 position, but like Nina Davis has proven, you can't make your mark in the WNBA as a 5-11 post player.

JS

Reaction Score
I publicly (here in the yard) dined on a little crow after she made her announcement that she was in fact coming back for her senior year.
So now we have a belated victory lap followed by a crow regurgitation.

And the fans go wild.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Here's one of the Tennessee Lady Vol's biggest fans, Margo Anderson (ya girl Margo) and her latest 10 minute podcast.
No mention of DD's departure in this one. I'm sure a podcast detailing her take on DD leaving will be forth coming soon. :cool:

[LINK]

Carnac

Reaction Score
So now we have a belated victory lap followed by a crow regurgitation.

And the fans go wild.

In a word...............Yes. :p

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
For me the most interesting aspect of this multi-cornered thread is where this leaves UTenn?

With two, potentially first-class and experienced starters, some moderate to underachieving returnees and a fine freshman class.

And oh, yes; a seemingly overwhelmed and under-achieving coach who was Peter Principled into a position that she neither coveted nor qualified for.

I predict a disastrous season and a call to the bull pen by December.

Becky, are you ready for the opportunity of a lifetime?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom