DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I swear people don’t read. I said I’m not saying it’s better or worse, just fact that schools like DePaul and Villanova give far more leeway to women’s coaches than men’s coaches. Perretta is a perfect example. Do you really think that Jay Wright could‘ve lasted more than 5 years if every year he played a style that left his team better than the lower tier of the BE but rarely challenging the best teams, and pretty much never getting beyond round 1 or 2 of the Dance or not making it at all even with a winning record? Harry, same style over the years. , no real change in national potential. Good hs women’s hoops area to recruit from: same league as UConn and for years also ND and Rutgers to offer as opponents. Harry I actually think gave his kids a better chance to spring upsets than does Doug because his style could mess them up, way more than DePaul’s attempt to outscore really good teams.

Andy Landers lasted forever, often had very good recruits but only in a blue moon did he really challenge Tennessee or threaten to win it all. UGA was not so gracious to coaches in its men’s program, I think it’s absurd to think most schools have same expectation of their women’s head coaches as they do the men. The test is how they compete in their arena. Maybe the survival of coaches like Harry and Doug is a far better thing than the firing of male program coaches who might actually have better records than either of them, but the fact remains that neither changed their styles over the years and neither style gave their teams much of a chance to be either nationally competitive or even realistically win their leagues. If you notice, GA has won big; NC or not and with all sorts of teams, even early on when great players weren’t lining up to come to UConn. Meaning he is adaptable. As are most good coaches based on who is on the roster.
Who do you think won the Big East all those years that UConn was in the AAC?

4DD1566B-F1E7-44F9-9C23-D14996DF5576.jpeg

Reaction Score
The bigger concern for me about Nika is her TOs. She's averaging nearly 4 per game since Thanksgiving, and those would haunt the Huskies vs. SC.
I disagree, if you think playing conservatively against a defense like SC’s is going to beat them, you are wrong. Muhl pushes tempo and takes chances, that is her nature. Her aggressiveness is contagious to the whole team on both ends of the floor and there is no way it should be stifled. In fact, I would contend that her aggressive influence has permeated the team DNA and is now part of what they are. She is by no means the best basketball player but she is a uniquely valuable one. Her assist TO, 2.6, is fine comparable to greats such as Magic and Isiah Thomas, who were 2.9 and 2.5 respectively.
The SC game will be decided on the boards.

Reaction Score
Boy I would love more off games like she had tonight 10 assists, should have been at least 15, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks, plus most likely a nice shiner tomorrow.
Also, she is such a great defensive player, that that part of her game is starting to be ignored or taken for granted here. Last night she held Rogers, who came in averaging 18.5 and 5+ assists to 7, on 3-14 shooting, 1-7 from 3, with 3 assists and 6 TOs.

Reaction Score
The first half was one of the most exciting games I have seen. Aaliyah was amazing, battling Morrow in the paint and scoring when we needed it. Lou is probably my favorite player now, if I had to choose. Aubrey Griffin is everywhere, she was cooking tonight. The whole team played hard, but I thought Ayanna hit an extra gear in the fourth quarter. Great game.
After some early sloppy passing, our depth at each starting position showed through. Hope we can clean up some of the missed layups after great picks of passes for fast breaks. Our bones are great. Loved seeing serious production from our bench. Patterson was a ball of fire, well rested and eager for action. She is a future all-star. Several of her rebounds showed great lift and movement. This team, even with several injuries, is finding itself in a better place. Their tapes will bring a shutter to opposing teams. Few can match our current speed, efficiency and growth with even more sitting on the bench. Poor Bruno, he knew.

Reaction Score
Amari with the errand past, ran back for a monster block!! The minutes from the bench is important and they are really stepping up!
Amari has good up-side, she is growing her roll and provides defensive abilities few can match and guards underestimate her length. She needs to continue working out especially wrist strength, elevation drills and foot speed.

Reaction Score
A lot of those turn overs are account of the person shes passing to didnt go get the ball. Or there was a miscommunication. Being the point guard and being in charge of bringing the ball down is gonna make you more susceptible to turnovers.
True, she has her hands on the ball more and not for touches but scoring opportunities, they are inherently high risk, not handoff type passes. Having said that, hope she can penetrate more, broaden her field of choices and shoot on occasion. Develop all aspects of her game. She and Inis are quick, like to rebound and sprint down the floor to cutting targets. WOW, it's just fun to watch their growth.

Reaction Score
As an "addition" to the +/- column, +/- per minute

Aaliyah​
1.393​
Dorka​
1.033​
Nika​
1.292​
Lou​
1.391​
Aubrey​
0.994​
Amari​
0.568​
Ayanna​
0.602​
Ines​
0.502​
All of the starters basically more than a point per minute better than DePaul.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this was the last SNY game I will have to watch on replay, I'm having DirecTV installed Wednesday. I miss watching the games live & commenting in the chat
I have FUBOTV. It's...ok. I like that I can record games and watch them later. Like there were 3 games that started at 7 last night. I don't like that some of the games aren't always listed on their site, even though the subscription allows me access to watch them. For example, a PAC 12 game may not be listed, but if I click on the game on the ESPN site...I can watch it. Just weird. And I suspect it's pricey for a lot of folks. Once the season ends...it's outta here.

Reaction Score
All of these comments are about Jana and NIKA And Aaliyah is making me sorry I couldn't see the game live. I have to wait SJC243 posts the game and I am having trouble with waiting. GO HUSKIES!!!
Was there a reason why the Fox Sports link disappeared just before game time? I missed the entire first half, until someone was nice enough to post a different link.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Absurd observation. So you must feel the same way about Harry Perretta who coached at Nova for 42 years. Some of these coaches are great teachers and game strategists but they just don't get the very best players year in and year out. I always wondered how Harry or Doug (Or many others) would have done had they the same talent pool that Geno has had. I don't think that's diminishing Geno because in College you have to be able to do it all to win it all (And recruiting is a vital part of that).
What is the farthest either coach has taken their teams?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
We can preach all we want, but the sinners need to repent.

In addition two the non-stat leadership I have talked about, I'd add that the assists drastically under-describe Nika's passing effectiveness. She's like a chess player: many of the moves are not checks but they improve the attack profile, the overall strength of the team's offensive posture (not to mention the missed easy baskets, the "shouda been" assists).

The only negative I'm willing to hear a case for are the turnovers. There are going to be turnovers with the aggressiveness, so I discount a lot of them. But she thinks ahead and sometimes is not totally into the moment, and she either over-rates her own passing pace on the ball or underestimates defensive scope of action in response. She can throw hard and accurately but the pace sometimes isn't there.

Great as she is, she's got room for improvement, which is a good thing, looking forward.
Watching live she was constantly talking directed others such a huge presence without scoring in a 40 point win.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Yeah, he’s only made the ncaa tournament 24 times, winning at least one game in the tournament in 13 of those appearances, and basically sweeping the regular season and big east tournament titles when Uconn was in the AAC.

I wouldn’t say he’s the best coach out there, but he’s no slouch. His biggest weakness has seemed to be recruiting, but has carved out great success getting those second/third tier type recruits with the ability to shoot.
24 in 37 years, didn't Marquette win a Big East title or 2. Without UConn the Big East no more relevant than the Horizon league.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Also, she is such a great defensive player, that that part of her game is starting to be ignored or taken for granted here. Last night she held Rogers, who came in averaging 18.5 and 5+ assists to 7, on 3-14 shooting, 1-7 from 3, with 3 assists and 6 TOs.
The one 3 Rogers scored was over Dorka, well guarded, after a switch.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Hopefully this was the last SNY game I will have to watch on replay, I'm having DirecTV installed Wednesday. I miss watching the games live & commenting in the chat
Now the only thing that you will have to worry about is the weather. When we had DirecTV even high winds would cause us to lose their service. :)
But it was better than nothing, which is what we had for many years due to our location.

Reaction Score
Would not be shocked if Tenn try to force AG and Nika to beat them from the outside. Hopefully they could knock a couple down early and force Tenn to change their plans

Reaction Score
Boy I would love more off games like she had tonight 10 assists, should have been at least 15, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks, plus most likely a nice shiner tomorrow.
C'mon man, 0 points w/ 6 TO's with 9 assists is not what I would call a good game by normal Nika standards. That kind of performance won't lead a team to the promise land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom