DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not even close to Geno's best job this year. (Putting Paige back in with about 1:30 left in the game, and up by over 30 points, with Paige playing on a bum ankle, made ZERO sense). Geno (and staff) need to continue to "coach" Olivia to step up her game and play like she is capable of. For this team to succeed come during the Big Dance, they are going to need "meaningful minutes" from Olivia, Aubrey, Anna and AE (along with Paige, Christyn, and Evina).
Piage was playing on a bum ankle ? Could have fooled me. We should make sure she has a bum ankle before every game. At what point are you going to put the responsibility for improvement on Liv vs Geno and the staff?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Saylor missed the AAU season. Her last games were in a mid-level high school conference. She'll get acclimated in time.

Saylor is not slow. She really covers ground with her long strides. She definitely glides.
In Paige’s postgame comments, she confirmed that she told Saylor to, “just shoot the ball every time I pass to you.” Paige also indicated that Saylor makes them in practice, so let’s hope the next time Saylor pulls the trigger, it’s nothing but net.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, it is a win. Doug Bruno must be scratching his head as why his team quit during the second quarter. I thought that UConn defense was intense in the first 3 minutes of the game. I thought that this was going to continue all the way. Paige impressed as did Chrystin and Evina with key baskets and important rebounds. They swarmed Liv, but in few instances they were drawn out and I don't remember what triggered that but it sure did free up Liv for some easy layups. All in all, it was a satisfactory showing but I wonder how this would have fared against an Arkansas that plays with a lot more intensity than DePaul.
I think Paige is going to leave a lot of teams demoralized over the course of her career.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Piage was playing on a bum ankle ? Could have fooled me. We should make sure she has a bum ankle before every game. At what point are you going to put the responsibility for improvement on Liv vs Geno and the staff?
Haven't you realized that over the past few seasons that everything is the GOAT's fault? He can't coach, recruit, have the correct starting lineup or substitute correctly!
Nobody seems to think that he is doing all the correct things but the players might be human and just don't always take what they did on the practice court onto the game court????
And as far as Paige's ankle, someone posted in a different thread that it is a debilitating sprained ankle. No source was cited.

Reaction Score

Coco - I "Get" your point. However, you and everyone else on this site would have called for Geno's resignation, should Paige have re-aggravated her ankle injury during that last 1:30 in the game, which 'might have" caused her to miss a significant amount of future games this season. (As far as Olivia's development, I am not saying that Geno can't get more out of Olivia, but to have someone say that this was the "Best Coaching Job" Geno has done so far this season, it simply incorrect, as ONO has had better games 'coached out her")

Reaction Score
Yea I even took it a step further and and now I'm more worried. I looked back at the way she was shooting at USA basketball U16 in summer of 2019. That shot was text book with exceptional elevation & follow through. She got a lot of work to get back that fluid shot.
And of course it’s one thing for her to be able to see it on video, but a lot tougher to get back to feeling it. Has to start from her feet up and use her legs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco - I "Get" your point. However, you and everyone else on this site would have called for Geno's resignation, should Paige have re-aggravated her ankle injury during that last 1:30 in the game, which 'might have" caused her to miss a significant amount of future games this season. (As far as Olivia's development, I am not saying that Geno can't get more out of Olivia, but to have someone say that this was the "Best Coaching Job" Geno has done so far this season, it simply incorrect, as ONO has had better games 'coached out her")
No I would not have called for Geno's resignation because I understood and support what Geno was trying to do. Your issues with Geno decisions stems from the POV of your favorite players. Unlike you Geno cannot afford to have favorite players.

Reaction Score
No I would not have called for Geno's resignation because I understood and support what Geno was trying to do. Your issues with Geno decisions stems from the POV of your favorite players. Unlike you Geno cannot afford to have favorite players.
Coco - I appreciate Paige's talents, as I do everyone else on the team, and have no favorites. No personal bias involved (despite your personal opinion, which you have every right to express).

1612136071668.png

Reaction Score
It was FOX on the local Spectrum Cable feed. When the game went off at half, I searched all my streaming services to no avail, so I ended up following the play by play text feed on the ESPN site.
We never lost the game on FOX in W. Hartford

Reaction Score
At some point the old adage “you can lead a horse to water” has to apply to any player‘s improvement. That or the acceptance of the fact they have peaked at a level below an outsiders expectation. Ono is a good player and maybe that is her ceiling; nothing wrong with that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco - I appreciate Paige's talents, as I do everyone else on the team, and have no favorites. No personal bias involved (despite your personal opinion, which you have every right to express).

View attachment 64116
So I'm guessing all the other handles were taken on the BY and the moderators stuck you with that one? That obsession with AEH is coincidence?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I thought the key to this game was: in the 2nd half, DePaul stopped playing defense.

Reaction Score
So I'm guessing all the other handles were taken on the BY and the moderators stuck you with that one? That obsession with AEH is coincidence?

Coco - I will be the first to admit that I am a Ossining High School Girls Basketball Fan first and foremost. I followed the success and impact (Senior Year) that Saniya Chong had at UCONN. I am very happy so far with Aubrey's success. I am thrilled that AEH is making such a huge impact at Seton Hall (and I certainly hope that she ends up making 1st Team All Big East this year, which would be great for such a nice person). As far as what you are saying about the the moderators and other handles, this says it all:

1612138229171.png

Reaction Score
Come on man. She is an excellent shooter. Her mechanics are fine. Her shot mechanics are not a project.
I would check the video tape. She launches from her right shoulder, which is not what one sees from great shooters. I am aware of her history; that’s actually an easy thing to correct in most cases.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I see 12 assists for Paige...
I used ESPN's box score. Perhaps it is wrong. Or perhaps you were too generous. ESPN's box score is below after the quote from UCONN women's basketball site from the AP.
CHICAGO (AP) - Christyn Williams scored a career-high 29 points, Paige Bueckers added 22 points and personal-best 10 assists, and No. 3 UConn bounced back from a rare loss to beat No. 17 DePaul 100-67 on Sunday afternoon.
Williams Leads Six Huskies in Double-Figures as Women’s Hoops Routs No. 17 DePaul - University of Connecticut Athletics
1612139130592.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice bounce back game.

The announcers talked about Depaul being rusty after not playing for 10 days (I think they said it in Q3), but that wasn't the problem. They had a great Q1. UCONN just outplayed them. Maybe wore them down a bit. Maybe they got a bit demoralized. Our 3-point shooting was actually better than DePaul's - a shocker I know!!

Paige took 15 shots. YAY. Now go for 20. I liked seeing Nika in the game with her - made Paige more a 2G.

Have to give Christyn props. Best game I've seen from her in a long time. Aggressive to the hoop, and even shot 2-4 from deep. Really nice to see.

The other junior... I've given up on Olivia. Still with the tomahawk chop on blocking. Still with bringing the ball down to her waste and/or dribbling when not necessary, leaving herself open to be stripped. I'm ready to see a lot more of Liya and a lot less of ONO. Olivia is what she is. A decent post player. That is all.

I thought Nika did some really good things. Came in and right away TO, foul, etc. but gathered herself and played well.

SO GLAD to see Aubrey start the 2nd half. I was worried about concussion protocol on her - she got nailed in Q2. I LOVE her energy. She may not do everything perfect, but her improvement has been noticeable, and she brings a scoring pop that is fun to see.

Evina had an off shooting night, but 14 boards - holy crap! Loved the play at the end of Q2 where she stole the inbounds pas and was fouled with .5 left on the clock. I really really hope she comes back next season. She adds SO MUCH to this team, and I'm very concerned about Williams and ONO being the team leaders next season.

Liya has a lot of upside. For all that people worry about our play in the post, SHE is the future.

Piath is getting it. Also, loved seeing Poff in - she's not afraid to shoot, but she looks like she's moving thru molasses at this point. Of course, too small a sample size. Just getting reps is great for her. Had a nice almost steal at half-court.

Overall, a very nice bounceback game. Average Q1, but came on gangbusters in Q2 and Q3. Much better ball movement and movement without the ball...
I haven’t given up on Olivia. Not ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom