DePaul Postgame thread [merged] | Page 9 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Nika starts being guarded more at the perimeter, doesn’t it open up our “better” 3pt shooters more? Can’t say I hate the idea … make the defense have to commit to her …

I don’t know about the other 3 point shooters but it will open the middle more.

Reaction Score
Do you think that the coaches sit down with the team and review film of the game. it seems that the players are so focused on getting the ball to their teammates , that they are unaware of the defensive player(s) position. Film review would go along way in helping with their decision process . A few other observations:

1. At times the players wait for the ball instead of of going to the ball.
2. Players need to do a better job of setting picks (too many offensive fouls for moving picks - usually because of a hip check)
3. If the post player is not going to take the ball to the hoop then kick it out and reset
4. Not hitting open cutters

All easily fixable, even at this time of the year.
They 100% review film

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
I just wanna say that I thought the team played very well in the first half when Ines was in -- her ± was +5. I hope to see more of her in the next game.

This game was really exciting -- kudos to DePaul for a good game plan, and kudos to UConn for pulling it out. The last two times UConn wasn't really challenged in a season, they fell in the final four in overtime. There was a lot of talk at the time that they needed to be challenged. They lost some games last year during the regular season and won their first F4 game in a few years. I still have hope.
Bigboote, first and foremost, I agree with (what I think was) your premise that UConn is facing its challenges this year head-on, and will be the better for it.

What I disagree with - and have for years - is the notion that the two seasons UConn fell in overtime in the FF semis (2016-17 and 2017-18) was in any way attributed to the schedules they played that year, or to a lack of mental preparation, or to a lack of mental toughness. Or, to be blunt, any implication that they were not ready or capable of meeting the challenges of the NCAA tournament. Good grief - they were overtime losses on last-second miraculous shots!

The program faced significant challenges both years. The first year they faced 10 ranked opponents prior to the NCAA tourney while also carrying the burden of their massive winning streak, and the second year they also defeated ranked opponents 10 times leading up to the NCAAs. It is simply incorrect to say they weren't really challenged either year.

During and immediately following those consecutive single-loss years, I know there was a lot of disappointed and frustrated scuttlebutt posted to the Boneyard trying to rationalize the two overtime defeats. Completely understandable back then for the fan base to be rationalizing and theorizing while licking its wounds. I would submit that those wounds have now turned into battle scars that the program should carry proudly and be forever separated from any misdirected bad feelings that were cultivated back then.

My takeaway from your post is whether this team loses in overtime of the semi-finals this year on an improbable, last second shot, or at any other point in the tournament, it certainly will not be due to the lack of facing challenges across this season. To that conclusion, I wholeheartedly agree.

Reaction Score
A valid point in that, for whatever reason, Caroline has not shot 3s to expectations.

As for Nika, while it's great she's making a lot of them, including that huge 3 vs. DePaul, I'm sure she'd agree much of that is aided by the reality she is shooting 3s like she's shooting alone in the gym... nobody guards her. It would seem opponents might catch on soon that she is a viable threat, don't you think?
Yes, Caroline is about 31% 3 point shots and 71% free throws for her UConn career. She came to UConn with the worsening hip injury and played through that, then sustained a freshman year head injury (with multiple games of being hit in the head.) This year was recovering from hip surgery with no basketball over the summer , with the onset of the neck strain as the season started. Of course, the concussion earlier this year with her and the team still managing symptoms, I believe. Although Bill Parcells says, "You are what your record (stats) says you are," I believe the stats in this case are deceiving. If this kid can get healthy and work on basketball in the off season, I have to think those shooting numbers will improve significantly.

Reaction Score
Do you think that the coaches sit down with the team and review film of the game. it seems that the players are so focused on getting the ball to their teammates , that they are unaware of the defensive player(s) position. Film review would go along way in helping with their decision process . A few other observations:

2. Players need to do a better job of setting picks (too many offensive fouls for moving picks - usually because of a hip check)
3. If the post player is not going to take the ball to the hoop then kick it out and reset

@Gannicus, as far as point #2, I think often the fault is on the cutter. I was always taught that it is the cutter's responsibly to go past the pick close enough so the screener does not have to move to set a successful pick. I think sometimes the cutter leaves too much of a gap between themselves and the player setting the pick.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It hadn’t occurred me till I saw your second sentence: They won’t be getting on a plane for something like three weeks. Home game, bus to Mohegan (I assume they’ll be staying in a hotel there), then first round at Gampel.

I think we’re going to see a totally refreshed team the second week of the show.
If the current bracket holds, we go to Greenville the second week of the tourney, and then Dallas for the FF. I'd rather do that then Seattle then Dallas, from a travel perspective.

Reaction Score
Agreed. And, Stewie also had the benefit of being surrounded by equally great teammates, all who were stars in their own right. There likely will never be another team, anywhere, like that again unless the stars happen to perfectly align. 4 straight NCs and the top 3 in the draft. It's unbelievable.
In Stevie's senior year, UConn had 6 All Americans (present and future), on the team...nobody will ever see that again.

Reaction Score
For those who want more offense from Patterson, I'm sure UCONN fans remember Kiah Stokes. She never tried to score, but she impacted every game with offensive rebounds and nasty blocks. She averaged 4 points, 3.5 blocks, & seven rebounds per game off the bench in UCONN's perfect 2014-15 season. Ayanna was that type of player today!
Kiah was fun to watch! : )

Reaction Score
In Stevie's senior year, UConn had 6 All Americans (present and future), on the team...nobody will ever see that again.
I am so grateful that I was alive to see it and also old enough to appreciate it. In all of UConn’s storied history this era is certainly at or near the top.
I don’t know about the other 3 point shooters but it will open the middle more.
I’ll be happy with that too.

Reaction Score
How did she start 0-3 when she was 3-5 for the day? I believe she missed her first, hit her next two and then missed another in the first half.

I thought she went 0 for 3??? I could be wrong, won't be the first time or the last

Reaction Score
Simple; the dreaded spellcheck! I tried typing Nika’s name multiple times and each time spellcheck would change it.

I hate autocorrect.

Reaction Score
If Nika starts being guarded more at the perimeter, doesn’t it open up our “better” 3pt shooters more? Can’t say I hate the idea … make the defense have to commit to her …
Right now Lou is our only "better" 3 point shooter. I say SHOOT, Nika SHOOT!

Reaction Score
Agreed. We need some play by play, updates on reviews etc. That type of comment is what is interpreted for posting on the caption line for those of us who are hearing impaired. Many of us need the caption comments to correctly follow the games. Our eyes certainly help but we live in a limited dimension world.
Fox Sports is the worse. Those 2 are the best they have. No women's basketball studio show. They have to do halftime show, too. That's why Fox is no good.

Reaction Score
Regarding our passing issues, can't say I see Geno taking any action to reduce them. Many come when Husky offense is reduced to Edwards or Dorka just getting position down low waiting for a pass from a standing in place guard. Relatively easy for defense to double team since its obvious where the ball is going. There are a number of other options - Dorka and Edwards to set picks for each other, better spacing, etc. but we have had the same issue with the same offense for many games. Bad decisions by the entire team, Nika and Aubrey in particular, but at some point surprised changes haven't been made. Is Geno waiting for the playoffs?
He is waiting for Azzi. It will cure itself then by 50%.

Reaction Score
Ive taken and made a lot of 3's in games I've played in and it makes little difference whether your guarded or not guarded. Once ur sighted in its bombs away. A good shooter can "feel" if its right.

Reaction Score
I thought she went 0 for 3??? I could be wrong, won't be the first time or the last
Just double checked the play by play. She missed her first made her second attempt then missed her third attempt.

Reaction Score
I'm going GHF (glass half full) here, and surmise that the next few weeks will be advantageous for some of the challenges that the team is going through right now. After tomorrow's game, they have 4 days off before playing the winner of Butler/G'town. That will give them time to rest, rehab, and get a few practices in to tune up what's needed for the BET. After that, there's 10 days of 3 Rs (rest/rehab/retune) again, including 4 days of gaming out the 3 opponents in our bracket. A few IMHO predictions:

Caroline - each game gives her more confidence. The missed shots? Meh. Cannot imagine what she's been thru, what she has to do for game prep, for post game rehab. I did not stay in a HIE last night, however when she gets slightly knocked on the head, touches it, and then it seems to go away. No diagnosis here, but for a few weeks after c-19, I did something to my back/neck/head while coughing, and after, if I turned my head quickly, had a "stinger" go up the side of my head. It went away quickly, but it took a while for the whole thing to heal.

Ayanna - yesterday, she was aggressive on the boards, and in 1-2 plays, noticed that she went up over a player and got the ball. She's got some impressive athletic ability, however needs to know how to use it at this level, and I think she did that yesterday. Caught myself yelling nononononono Yanna oh yeah great job! She will figure out the speed and craft of the game.

Ines - More PT? Absolutely. It might be a matchup thing, and also a confidence thing of what to do with the ball when she gets it. Hoping that the 1st and maybe 2nd game of NCAAT will give coaches an opportunity to give her more.

Lou, Aaliyah, Dorka - they need rehab & rest. Right now in an infinite do loop of doing what it takes between games to get ready for the next, w/o any real time to R&R. For L&A, I think we'll see different players in the BET and NCAAT.

Lastly, if the team can get some quality minutes from Ayanna, Ines, and Amari, it will give the starters a few mins of rest, and the coaches time to do some mid game instruction, which they cannot do if a player is on the court for the whole quarter. That 1-2 minutes lets the coaches point out things happening on the court, and that's what they player needs to see.

On edit (oops) - if Azzi contributes a few minutes each game, it allows time & space for other players to execute.
Forget about Azzi. It's too late. We've been saying this all season "wait till Azzi comes back," and she still is not back. With all the injuries, this team is not good enough. Maybe not good enough to even make it to the BE conference tournament championship game.

Reaction Score

Agree 100%. The most effective play is as follows. Ball goes into a big. Stabilize position. Ball goes back out to a guard. Reset better position. Ball goes back in and immediate shot or one or two dribbles, no more. Try Kevin McHale, probably the best at this ever.

I was a PG in high school, moving to the 2 in college. In high school, we had an All-State center who played at Georgetown. My job was to get him the ball where he wanted it when he wanted it. I would pass it in. It would come out. He would reset and I would give it to him again in lower better position or with the defender now on his hip. Game set match.

When Azzi comes back they can't sluff off the passer to stop the pass so the big should be 1 on 1. She is also a great passer and will take the pressure off of Nika to make perfect decisions on the break.

Reaction Score
I agree that we won't know until she does it. That's why my statement was qualified with "I think," because it is just my hopeful opinion. And I'll admit that I'm not always objective when it comes to Caroline.

Reaction Score
NM has always shot fairly well from 3 - about 35% if memory serves me. This year she is closing in on 40% which is fantastic by any standard - open or not open. Silly people try to say things like she only makes them bc she is wide open. At least she makes them. Only precious few shooting guards shoot 3 pointers while being covered. Most all threes are shot when one is open or has just enough time to get their shot off.

NM also hit 2 FTs down the stretch to ice the game. Presumably the fantasy that GA will take her out of the game when it is tight because she can't hit FTs has been put to bed as well. She shot a decent percentage as a freshman and not so well as a sophomore, but geez, she only shot 9 FTs as a sophomore.

Scores 13 pts and 8 assists and people still picking her apart is just unreal.

No matter what baloney is said here, she had a strong game. In addition to the box score, she was also a major factor in forcing 4 TOs as well, completely mitigating the 4 she had. Great defense as usual as well. She was and never is perfect, but she has been darn good all year long.

We won despite a poor shooting game by our best shooters, which is encouraging. I liked what Yanna did and AG was terrific, despite the TOs. AG really looking at being agreesive..also hit a mid range which looked good. She is getting close to really putting it all together. I just hope she doesn't look over her shoulder too much anticipating to be yanked for CD. I like CD, but it is clear that AG is the better player for us now.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Well, it has happened more than once. In Stewie's freshman and sophomore years, they also had 6 First Team WCBA All-Americans (past, present and future) on the team. In addition to Stewie, Tuck and MoJeff, there also was Hartley, KML and Dolson on both of those teams.

I think it is possible to see 6 AAs again. Especially if Paige and Azzi stay two more years and Aaliyah continues her impressive development into next year. Who's to say how much Ayanna or the incoming freshmen are going to develop over their college careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom