DePaul Postgame thread [merged] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBK

Reaction Score
Keep seeing comments like this one. Not all three-point field goals are created equal. Nika for her career and this year as well is not a good three-point shooter. That is why defenders let her stand alone and motionless and size a three up for as long as she wants and dare her to go ahead and pull the trigger.
The threes that Nika takes are shootaround or stand on the court by yourself threes. If she was a decent three-point shooter she would be averaging around 60% or more on the wide-open, take forever if you wish to, threes that the defense gifts her. In the same circumstances Azzi would probably average around 90%, Paige and Lou 80% plus to 90%, and Caroline probably 70% or so. But those three at their healthy best are respected/feared scorers, so most of the time they are guarded tightly, double-teamed and closed upon quickly by the defense - so the true degree of difficulty of their quick triggered threes is typically much, much, much higher.

Fortunately, once in a while Nika has a game where she hits her threes well and she did so today. She is always a giant on the floor, has great stamina, fire, heart, and leadership - but she is a bad outside shooter from everywhere.
I know it does not matter as long as it goes in - but Nika was never taught how to shoot correctly. I am a big Nika fan - but when she hits a 3 I am overly happy because I am thinking it could be a brick. She also has the speed to be able to take a pull up. They are their for her all day. Right now Nika either hits a 3 or a layup - nothing else. Her growth from year 2 to 3 was incredible and l look forward to watching her progress from her 3rd to 4th season

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This year it's all about searing injuries. We have had essentially a Top Five team sitting on the bench with terrible injuries: devastating knee injuries to Paige and Azzi, serious concussion with unshakable symptoms to CD. Without a top point guard, and with Lou fading due to overwork and possible injury, the opponents just clog the middle, forcing either a miss or a turnover from the front court players. And that is effective against us game after game.

I don't think this team is capable of winning the Big East tournament, and a Sweet Sixteen opponent could be extremely difficult to get by. Just too many injuries, to many minutes for the walking wounded. The most painful season we've ever been through.
I'm going GHF (glass half full) here, and surmise that the next few weeks will be advantageous for some of the challenges that the team is going through right now. After tomorrow's game, they have 4 days off before playing the winner of Butler/G'town. That will give them time to rest, rehab, and get a few practices in to tune up what's needed for the BET. After that, there's 10 days of 3 Rs (rest/rehab/retune) again, including 4 days of gaming out the 3 opponents in our bracket. A few IMHO predictions:

Caroline - each game gives her more confidence. The missed shots? Meh. Cannot imagine what she's been thru, what she has to do for game prep, for post game rehab. I did not stay in a HIE last night, however when she gets slightly knocked on the head, touches it, and then it seems to go away. No diagnosis here, but for a few weeks after c-19, I did something to my back/neck/head while coughing, and after, if I turned my head quickly, had a "stinger" go up the side of my head. It went away quickly, but it took a while for the whole thing to heal.

Ayanna - yesterday, she was aggressive on the boards, and in 1-2 plays, noticed that she went up over a player and got the ball. She's got some impressive athletic ability, however needs to know how to use it at this level, and I think she did that yesterday. Caught myself yelling nononononono Yanna oh yeah great job! She will figure out the speed and craft of the game.

Ines - More PT? Absolutely. It might be a matchup thing, and also a confidence thing of what to do with the ball when she gets it. Hoping that the 1st and maybe 2nd game of NCAAT will give coaches an opportunity to give her more.

Lou, Aaliyah, Dorka - they need rehab & rest. Right now in an infinite do loop of doing what it takes between games to get ready for the next, w/o any real time to R&R. For L&A, I think we'll see different players in the BET and NCAAT.

Lastly, if the team can get some quality minutes from Ayanna, Ines, and Amari, it will give the starters a few mins of rest, and the coaches time to do some mid game instruction, which they cannot do if a player is on the court for the whole quarter. That 1-2 minutes lets the coaches point out things happening on the court, and that's what they player needs to see.

On edit (oops) - if Azzi contributes a few minutes each game, it allows time & space for other players to execute.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's all about the turnovers. If we play a tight game we can beat anyone if we get our legs back. The two are intertwined though so perhaps the long break between the BE tourney and the NCAA will really help. It will bring Azzi back which will give us the other great shooter we need.

Everyone was responsible for turnovers last night. Forced passes, sloppy dribbling, not holding the ball. You can't give up 18 possessions when you are averaging 50% from the field and expect to have a waltz or even win. We gave up a minimum of 18 points with those turnovers. Even if we only had 10, there would have been another 8 points, an easier win for sure. We are just playing sloppy right now and it has become a habit that only the coaching staff can fix, if it can be fixed at all.

Reaction Score
It's all about the turnovers. If we play a tight game we can beat anyone if we get our legs back. The two are intertwined though so perhaps the long break between the BE tourney and the NCAA will really help. It will bring Azzi back which will give us the other great shooter we need.

Everyone was responsible for turnovers last night. Forced passes, sloppy dribbling, not holding the ball. You can't give up 18 possessions when you are averaging 50% from the field and expect to have a waltz or even win. We gave up a minimum of 18 points with those turnovers. Even if we only had 10, there would have been another 8 points, an easier win for sure. We are just playing sloppy right now and it has become a habit that only the coaching staff can fix, if it can be fixed at all.
If by turnovers you mean missed layups, I’m totally with you. We’ve got layupitis again.

Reaction Score
If so , I have a question concerning sizing drain-waste-vent piping. And the use of sanitary tees. Am I in the right place? :confused:
Yes, you are in the right place. We are trying to flush these turnovers away right now and will get back to you when we finish. Don't hold your breath.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Nika played mostly well a couple bad passes 1 TO given to her was a good pass that went through Aaliyah s hands. Scored last 5 clutch points. Played real defense. Aubrey today was both brilliant and bad both sides of the ball. 5 turnovers while really handling the ball much. Airballed at least 3 layups.

Keep seeing comments like this one. Not all three-point field goals are created equal. Nika for her career and this year as well is not a good three-point shooter. That is why defenders let her stand alone and motionless and size a three up for as long as she wants and dare her to go ahead and pull the trigger.
The threes that Nika takes are shootaround or stand on the court by yourself threes. If she was a decent three-point shooter she would be averaging around 60% or more on the wide-open, take forever if you wish to, threes that the defense gifts her. In the same circumstances Azzi would probably average around 90%, Paige and Lou 80% plus to 90%, and Caroline probably 70% or so. But those three at their healthy best are respected/feared scorers, so most of the time they are guarded tightly, double-teamed and closed upon quickly by the defense - so the true degree of difficulty of their quick triggered threes is typically much, much, much higher.

Fortunately, once in a while Nika has a game where she hits her threes well and she did so today. She is always a giant on the floor, has great stamina, fire, heart, and leadership - but she is a bad outside shooter from everywhere.
Real facts none of them would average 90%, even 60%. During a game. For her career over 34%. Good. The last yesterday was during a pressure situation. When will if ever will their healthy best ever return? Paige and Azzi multiple major knee injuries and surgeries, Caroline multiple head neck injuries and concussions.

Reaction Score
I'm going GHF (glass half full) here, and surmise that the next few weeks will be advantageous for some of the challenges that the team is going through right now. After tomorrow's game, they have 4 days off before playing the winner of Butler/G'town. That will give them time to rest, rehab, and get a few practices in to tune up what's needed for the BET. After that, there's 10 days of 3 Rs (rest/rehab/retune) again, including 4 days of gaming out the 3 opponents in our bracket. A few IMHO predictions:

Caroline - each game gives her more confidence. The missed shots? Meh. Cannot imagine what she's been thru, what she has to do for game prep, for post game rehab. I did not stay in a HIE last night, however when she gets slightly knocked on the head, touches it, and then it seems to go away. No diagnosis here, but for a few weeks after c-19, I did something to my back/neck/head while coughing, and after, if I turned my head quickly, had a "stinger" go up the side of my head. It went away quickly, but it took a while for the whole thing to heal.

Ayanna - yesterday, she was aggressive on the boards, and in 1-2 plays, noticed that she went up over a player and got the ball. She's got some impressive athletic ability, however needs to know how to use it at this level, and I think she did that yesterday. Caught myself yelling nononononono Yanna oh yeah great job! She will figure out the speed and craft of the game.

Ines - More PT? Absolutely. It might be a matchup thing, and also a confidence thing of what to do with the ball when she gets it. Hoping that the 1st and maybe 2nd game of NCAAT will give coaches an opportunity to give her more.

Lou, Aaliyah, Dorka - they need rehab & rest. Right now in an infinite do loop of doing what it takes between games to get ready for the next, w/o any real time to R&R. For L&A, I think we'll see different players in the BET and NCAAT.

Lastly, if the team can get some quality minutes from Ayanna, Ines, and Amari, it will give the starters a few mins of rest, and the coaches time to do some mid game instruction, which they cannot do if a player is on the court for the whole quarter. That 1-2 minutes lets the coaches point out things happening on the court, and that's what they player needs to see.

On edit (oops) - if Azzi contributes a few minutes each game, it allows time & space for other players to execute.
I was excited to see Ayanna jump. It’s been missing all year. Some of the others would benefit by jumping too. They carve out space, fake, but don’t seem to get airborne for shots under the basket.

Reaction Score
It's great that UConn won, but that last turnover on the inbounds play says it all about the condition of the team right now. Dorka missed at least one (Griffin) and maybe two players who would have had a chance at the ball, and passed it to someone who was covered. To no one's surprise, DePaul got the ball. It was that way the whole game.

One other observation: Earlier in the season, UConn had great success getting the ball in to a big, Edwards of Juhasz, who would then go to work. What's clear now is that every team they come up against has devised defenses against that pass-in. And you know what? UConn still tries to force it in there, time after time. And loses the ball, time after time. I know there's some truth in the old saying about riding the horse that got you there, but a time comes when you have to recognize that the horse has gone lame.
Dorka was not the player to inbounds the ball and she didn't the next time, Lou did. Dorka also missed that wide open layup. She was clearly rattled at that point.

The secret to the entry pass is to get it to the right player where they like it at the right time. 3 components. We rush and force so that rarely happens now. You don't want the big to put the ball on the floor to create a move but rather to make a basic, repetitive move, there is a difference. Part of that is Nika forcing, perhaps because she has no choice, and part of that is because everyone in the BE knows where the pass is going.

As for Lou, I think you will see a lot from her in the Big Dance. If Azzi is back, she is not going to get the attention she does now and that means she can get the 3 and pull up off. She can get in the 20s with no problem.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Stanford's been squeaking (struggling/surviving) out wins against unranked opponents all season and some of those teams have the same record as a DePaul and St. John's. I only mention their vulnerability because one would think they would be dominating those matches with a full squad. And no offense, but I watched part of their matches vs UCLA and Colorado and they were missing shots/FTs (credit the other teams defenses...I guess). I also say this because I read that Uconn dropped in rankings because of their close games with Creighton and Villanova (and not necessarily because of the St. John's loss). It just seems UConn is right in the mix of having and not having a shot at the Final Four. With the exception of SC and Indiana, the 5-6 teams under seemed to be untested or have struggled in some regard. I listen to Chasing Perfection and it was mentioned that there's more of a chance that none of the "number 1 seeds" make it to the Final 4 vs. all four making it. As for reality...I think it's more about perspective than anything else.
Stanford is a good team, well coached, and very deep. But they have been struggling a bit lately. The season is long, kids get tired, and struggles ensue.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts...

Getting Azzi back is huge. More rest for the guards (especially Nika, as IMO, I think mental fatigue causes a lot of her forced TOs) and a sharp shooter to open up the middle for AE and Dorka. Even at 50%, Azzi will have a huge impact on defenses.

I see us solidly on the 2 line, but hope we can get in Utah's bracket. If Utah is the #3 overall, we need to move up one spot to #6. Right now we are #7.

Reaction Score
If by turnovers you mean missed layups, I’m totally with you. We’ve got layupitis again.
By turnovers I mean the 18 turnovers yesterday according to the official statistics. Changes in possessions caused by errant passes, losing the ball on dribbles, throwing it out of bounds, walks, with all of those leading to a loss of a shot. If you also add in missed layups and offensive fouls we are well above 25 which is just absurd. It is why we don't blow anyone out anymore.

Reaction Score
I’m impressed whenever I see Morrow play. She was definitely the best and most impactful player on the court today. Morrow is very good. Tough, aggressive and very good hands. Took a village to cover her. Definite all American imho.
The first time UConn played DePaul, Morrow spent much of her time with the ball out at the 3 point line, taking poor shots. She was much more disciplined yesterday getting into her sweet spot(s) and it showed. While had Edwards on defense to stop her at critical times, this was still one of the better games I have seen a non-guard play against the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Regarding our passing issues, can't say I see Geno taking any action to reduce them. Many come when Huskie offense is reduced to Edwards or Dorka just getting position down low waiting for a pass from a standing in place guard. Relatively easy for defense to double team since its obvious where the ball is going. There are a number of other options - Dorka and Edwards to set picks for each other, better spacing, etc. but we have had the same issue with the same offense for many games. Bad decisions by the entire team, Nika and Aubrey in particular, but at some point surprised changes haven't been made. Is Geno waiting for the playoffs?

Reaction Score
By turnovers I mean the 18 turnovers yesterday according to the official statistics. Changes in possessions caused by errant passes, losing the ball on dribbles, throwing it out of bounds, walks, with all of those leading to a loss of a shot. If you also add in missed layups and offensive fouls we are well above 25 which is just absurd. It is why we don't blow anyone out anymore.
Do you think that the coaches sit down with the team and review film of the game. it seems that the players are so focused on getting the ball to their teammates , that they are unaware of the defensive player(s) position. Film review would go along way in helping with their decision process . A few other observations:

1. At times the players wait for the ball instead of of going to the ball.
2. Players need to do a better job of setting picks (too many offensive fouls for moving picks - usually because of a hip check)
3. If the post player is not going to take the ball to the hoop then kick it out and reset
4. Not hitting open cutters

All easily fixable, even at this time of the year.

Reaction Score
A valid point in that, for whatever reason, Caroline has not shot 3s to expectations.

As for Nika, while it's great she's making a lot of them, including that huge 3 vs. DePaul, I'm sure she'd agree much of that is aided by the reality she is shooting 3s like she's shooting alone in the gym... nobody guards her. It would seem opponents might catch on soon that she is a viable threat, don't you think?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

It hadn’t occurred me till I saw your second sentence: They won’t be getting on a plane for something like three weeks. Home game, bus to Mohegan (I assume they’ll be staying in a hotel there), then first round at Gampel.

I think we’re going to see a totally refreshed team the second week of the show.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else frustrated by the Fox Sports commentators, Sarah Kustok and Lisa Byington? They did the Villanova game, too, and they were terrible in that one as well. Lots of chatter about themselves -- even nostalgia photos of themselves -- and can't seem to find the time to tell us what's happening in the actual game, like who was that last foul on? Was that a turnover, a foul, a jump ball, etc.? How many fouls did Aaliyah have, or Aneesah, etc.? I found myself trying to pick up vital information from the PA speaker, which is barely audible on TV.
I typically don't get bothered by the national announcers, but it was very irritating to see the two never bother to announce when UCONN players entered the game. In both the Villanova and now the DePaul game, when Caroline first came in off the bench, there was no indication from the announcers that she even existed until she grabbed a rebound 3-4 minutes later. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
A valid point in that, for whatever reason, Caroline has not shot 3s to expectations.

As for Nika, while it's great she's making a lot of them, including that huge 3 vs. DePaul, I'm sure she'd agree much of that is aided by the reality she is shooting 3s like she's shooting alone in the gym... nobody guards her. It would seem opponents might catch on soon that she is a viable threat, don't you think?
That would be ideal as it would open up our other offensive options.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The TO problem is a direct result of having scorers down low and not on the outside other then Lou. When Lou is suffocated on defense we stand with the ball over our head looking inside for someone to get open because thats where our scorers are. Then we force the ball inside and our bigs are double teamed or we look to make a hurried pass. If we kept the moving around the perimeter looking for a shot or looking to create a shot the TOs would be cut down. With a healthy Caroline and Azzi that will get the ball moving on the perimeter opening the middle because Caroline Lou and Azzi can create their own shot and demand respect from defenses.

Reaction Score
It would seem opponents might catch on soon that she is a viable threat, don't you think?
If Nika starts being guarded more at the perimeter, doesn’t it open up our “better” 3pt shooters more? Can’t say I hate the idea … make the defense have to commit to her …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom