DePaul Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post Game Thread

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Stewart looked fine out there last night, that's not to say he should be getting more minutes even in a blowout. There are things he needs to work on, if I can see it in his limited time it should be obvious the coaching staff sees it everyday and is addressing it in practice.

As mentioned last night on the broadcast, Hurley looks at the NET rankings which uses margin of victory. Hurley is not going to take the starters out and give the end of the bench big minutes when up 20+ just because. The starters are going to play starter minutes no matter what the score is and our rotation will be 8-9 guys depending on foul trouble.

On another note, DePaul is tough to watch. They barely run any offensive sets and depend almost solely on one on one hoping for defensive breakdowns. It still amazes me that a program with a fairly good history before joining the Big East, one of the reasons they were invited the other being the Chicago market, can be so bad for so long. There is a wealth of talent in the Chicago area and they are practically the only game in town. They should be able to land some Big East quality talent and at least compete year in and year out but somehow it has been the same story now for 20 years.
Kids in Chicago don't want to stay in Chicago - they want some peace in their lives for a few years.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think that's the thing. He's not just testing it, he's trying to perfect it. I don't see any scenario where there's anywhere close to a 50/50 decision of using Karaban at the 5 as compared to Singare at the 5. Hurley will exhaust all possibilities with Karaban before he starts working on a lineup with Singare.
So if we’re facing legit bigs like Soriano who are 6’10 6’11 7’ we’re going to have Karaban guard them?

I’m not sure how we’ve used guys like Olander and Nolan in the past, but we somehow can’t make due with Singare.

Reaction Score
The slow starts have to stop. It’s not just starts it’s slooow starts, needs to end immediately.

Not much else to say it’s Depaul moving on.

Reaction Score
So if we’re facing legit bigs like Soriano who are 6’10 6’11 7’ we’re going to have Karaban guard them?

I’m not sure how we’ve used guys like Olander and Nolan in the past, but we somehow can’t make do with Singare.
Probably because our offensive sets use the center very differently than Calhoun.

Singare will get some minutes depending on match ups. I’d rather have our best players play the most minutes otherwise.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No, their coaches will have to take them out, the same way Sanogo sat on the bench in the second half against St John's on MLK Day during his freshman year.
I’m not sure how we’ve used guys like Olander and Nolan in the past, but we somehow can’t make due with Singare.
Read your posts in the past few days and take note how often the regularity with which you write things similar to, "I don't know how...," "I'm not sure how...," "I don't understand why...," etc. I get the impression that this not knowing gives rise to your complaints and criticisms, and makes or leaves you uncomfortable.

A suggestion:
Screenshot_20240103-012014.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Probably because our offensive sets use the center very differently than Calhoun.

Singare will get some minutes depending on match ups. I’d rather have our best players play the most minutes otherwise.

And I think that's the core of what Hurley is doing. If you can't have an ideal line up size-wise, put your most talented players out there for a majority of the time.

Reaction Score
I think that's the thing. He's not just testing it, he's trying to perfect it. I don't see any scenario where there's anywhere close to a 50/50 decision of using Karaban at the 5 as compared to Singare at the 5. Hurley will exhaust all possibilities with Karaban before he starts working on a lineup with Singare.
This 100%. There's 2 options, small ball and Singare. Small Ball with your best players is less of a liability than a raw Singare. The choice is academic at that point.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Can we not adapt to players at all?

I agree Singare minutes should be 100% matchup dependent. Which is why I’m confused at how against an overmatched team like DePaul that’s a development kind of game he didn’t get any time to prepare him for when we may need him.

Reaction Score

Yes. Almost no one plays out of the low post anyways. When they do, it'll be ok. None of these games are going to be shutouts. The other teams are going to score some points. Who cares where it comes from ?

Their guy is going to be pulled out of the paint and have to guard Karaban at the 3 point line too. 5 out offense is going to be fun to watch.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I keep thinking we need to get these young guys playing time. That was until last night. I think we should just accept his plan since it is most likely better than any that have been posted. DH, I believe was put on this planet to do what he is doing. I am now certain of one thing. If he stays at UConn ( I am not suggesting he is planning on leaving) he will win multiple chips and we will be a sweet sixteen or better team every year. I believe his era will compare favorable with the G.O.A.T.. Small lineup, big line up, or traditional line up, all I need to know is if DH thinks it gives us the best chance to win then I am good. I will sit back enjoy as Castle gets better every game and SJ continues to look and play like a human pogo stick. He gets up so fast it is at times hard to catch. He explodes off the floor.

Reaction Score
I will sit back enjoy as Castle gets better every game and SJ continues to look and play like a human pogo stick. He gets up so fast it is at times hard to catch. He explodes off the floor.
He really does explode off the floor. Last year, I don’t think we lost an opening tipoff, this year, It looked odd to lose couple in the beginning of the season. Last night, Samson karate chopped the heck out the toss up before anyone on DePaul realized that it as “go” time.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes. Almost no one plays out of the low post anyways. When they do, it'll be ok. None of these games are going to be shutouts. The other teams are going to score some points. Who cares where it comes from ?

Their guy is going to be pulled out of the paint and have to guard Karaban at the 3 point line too. 5 out offense is going to be fun to watch.
Or they can switch onto Castle and negate his ability to power to the rim.
When you used the term “refused” to look his way you make it seem like people are purposely phasing him out and don’t want him to get the ball. Maybe you don’t mean it that way but that’s what it sounds like. I don’t think with this teams culture and attitude that is even close to being the case here
I don’t mean it that way. I honestly have no idea what’s up but it’s weird from a team that’s so good at passing.

In those clips he’s open and doing everything he can to be ready from getting set to shoot, having his hands up, getting in open spaces, cutting when appropriate, etc.

It has to be so frustrating to not get the ball on this good of a passing team in your limited minutes playing when it seems like you’re doing things right.

Reaction Score
Or they can switch onto Castle and negate his ability to power to the rim.
The center you mean ?
That would be ideal for us. SC has no problem getting past guards to get to the rim...you think Kalkbrenner is going to stop him ? And if he sags, we will play SC either at the nail, or in the dunker spot, like AJ last year.

Regardless, how often do you really see college offenses take advantage of mismatches ? It rarely happens because they just arent sophisticated enough. Even if it does happen a few times, all we will do to counter is run a help defender from the weak side to swipe at the ball. Most college centers are not good enough at that read to get the ball over to the far corner. And if THAT happens, we will start bringing the help from a different player each time, which we did a little against soriano, and it worked pretty well.

Reaction Score
He really does explode off the floor. Last year, I don’t think we lost an opening tipoff, this year, It looked odd to lose couple in the beginning of the season. Last night, Samson karate chopped the heck out the toss up before anyone on DePaul realized that it as “go” time.
There’s a weird trend that’s been happening the last few years where centers try to get the ball right out of the refs’ hand instead of jumping and getting it at the top

Practical, but looks goofy lol

Reaction Score
There’s a weird trend that’s been happening the last few years where centers try to get the ball right out of the refs’ hand instead of jumping and getting it at the top

Practical, but looks goofy lol
It's actually a violation. Neither jumper may tap the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point.

Reaction Score
It's actually a violation. Neither jumper may tap the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point.
Whoa, definitely never gets called lol. Sanogo did it all the time too, but he’s not as bouncy so it didn’t look as weird

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom