DePaul post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DePaul post game thread

Reaction Score
I was really impressed by DePaul’s defense. I’m surprised they haven’t won more games in conference.
Agree with this. UConn made some really sloppy passes but DePaul defenders were playing tight without fouling and really disruptive in the passing lanes.

Reaction Score

from JI - Sept. '21 - "She was hired as television play-by-play announcer by the world champion Milwaukee Bucks, becoming the first woman to be a full-time NBA play-by-play announcer.
This is not a gimmick. Byington was hired because she earned it. She has done other play-by-play assignments, including becoming the first woman to do play-by-play of an NBA men’s tournament game."
Also the first woman to misidentify Akok Akok for a full game, applying the name to players on both teams.

Reaction Score
One of the marks of being a decent team is playing like garbage and still beating a team on the road even if it is as subpar as DePaul. Will this effort wash against some of the teams on our upcoming schedule? Heck no. Regardless, a year or two ago and this may have been an "L". It's progress. Ugly progress, but progress nonetheless. We found a way to win. Take it and move on to the next

Reaction Score
Liberty is one of those star players whose departure will make his team better. He is not quite good enough to be as ball dominant as he is and still be effective at this level.
That's not correct at all. He's got a 114 ORTG on the year.

If we compare him to Cole, he gets to the rim more often and finishes better when he does. He can drive left or right. He draws fouls more frequently on a per possession basis. Despite heavier volume, he has a lower turnover rate than Cole (who is pretty low I might add, JFL's is just very low). He's hitting 39% from 3 compared to 33% for Cole on the same volume, many of which are off the dribble pull-ups. He has a decent assist rate, if lower than Cole, but he plays a combo guard role alongside Terry. Depaul's offense is 14 points better per 100 with him on the court. They're a complete dumpster fire on offense without him, as we saw tonight. Nobody can finish or shoot.

They're the equivalent of a top 30 offense with him and 250th without him on the year.

Reaction Score
Just saw a pic of depaul’s arena. Very impressive
Wintrust Arena at McCormick Square, previously referred to as DePaul Arena or McCormick Place Events Center,[6] is a 10,387-seat sports venue in Chicago's Near South Side community area that opened in 2017. It is the current home court for the men's and women's basketball teams of DePaul University and serves as an events center for McCormick Place. It also is the home of the Chicago Sky of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA).[7]

The arena was announced in May 2013, with construction planned to begin in 2014, and use expected to begin with the 2016–17 season.[8] The start of construction was delayed to November 2015, with completion delayed until the 2017–18 season. Although DePaul had been seeking a new home arena — it used Allstate Arena in suburban Rosemont starting 1980 — it rejected a November 2012 ten-year offer to play rent free at the United Center.[8] Instead, DePaul planned to use Allstate Arena on a recurring one-year basis until it had a new home.[8] On November 16, 2016, DePaul and the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA or "McPier") announced that the new event center at McCormick Square would be called Wintrust Arena. The announcement came after the signing of a letter of intent that contemplated a definitive 15-year sponsorship agreement between DePaul and Wintrust.[9]

Reaction Score
Credit to the DePaul game plan, down a key player. They played a tough body to body defense that prevented good ball movement by the Huskies. That defense also disrupted passes into Santago who was forced to setup outside his comfort zone. Seemed like Hurley was trying to get him back inside but our center had few clean looks and reverted to jump hooks. Our inside game was missing and only by repeated second attempts did we sometimes score.
The bench didn't show up in this game. Our three point shooting was just a hair off and that made big difference. Cole was impressive and kept us in the game in one of our coldest shooting matches. Overall a good win on a cold night in the Windy City. To win without your best stuff is the mark of a growing program.
The coach call for timeout with .6 seconds on the clock, at the end of the first half, and full court pass by Jackson to a reinserted Santago was pure genius. Thanks! Surely this was a deflating moment for DePaul and locker room hanger over.

Reaction Score
Wintrust Arena at McCormick Square, previously referred to as DePaul Arena or McCormick Place Events Center,[6] is a 10,387-seat sports venue in Chicago's Near South Side community area that opened in 2017. It is the current home court for the men's and women's basketball teams of DePaul University and serves as an events center for McCormick Place. It also is the home of the Chicago Sky of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA).[7]

The arena was announced in May 2013, with construction planned to begin in 2014, and use expected to begin with the 2016–17 season.[8] The start of construction was delayed to November 2015, with completion delayed until the 2017–18 season. Although DePaul had been seeking a new home arena — it used Allstate Arena in suburban Rosemont starting 1980 — it rejected a November 2012 ten-year offer to play rent free at the United Center.[8] Instead, DePaul planned to use Allstate Arena on a recurring one-year basis until it had a new home.[8] On November 16, 2016, DePaul and the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA or "McPier") announced that the new event center at McCormick Square would be called Wintrust Arena. The announcement came after the signing of a letter of intent that contemplated a definitive 15-year sponsorship agreement between DePaul and Wintrust.[9]
Hartford's never coming up with similar funding to replace XL:

Upon announcement, ESPN reported the expected cost of the 10,000-seat arena, located on Cermak Road between Indiana and Prairie Avenue, across the street from McCormick Place was $173 million.[8] The funding came from three sources: $70 million from the university, $70 million from a McPier bond fund and $33 million from public taxes (e.e., $103 million from public funds).[8] It was built to host concerts, conventions and other events in addition to DePaul Basketball games.[12] As the building approached completion, its capacity was announced as 10,387 seats for basketball.[2]

Funding​

The decision for public participation in the funding of DePaul's athletic facility was controversial because it was announced 6 days prior to the Board of Education's decision to close 50 public schools due to a $1 billion deficit.[13] When the Chicago City Council approved funding on July 24, 2013, the Chicago Reader reported the vote as though money was taken from the schools and spent on the arena because the spending plan included $68 million in budget cuts for the Chicago Public Schools.[14][15] The Chicago Tribune revealed that the land for the project had not yet been acquired four days after the City Hall funding vote.[16]

Reaction Score
First half DePaul's D was really disruptive and they were all over us. Our 4 missed 3's by Hawk and Polley in the first half seemed to affect our play. Not sure where their students were but if that arena was full it might have been a different story.

Reaction Score
Take the win and leave the female announcer.
She was bad and called # 10 on DePaul Akok at least 5 times.
If there was anything that drove me crazy about the game, it was that. Otherwise it was just a flat performance against a team that they could get away with it against. Good to get a game like that out of the way before this upcoming stretch.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Maybe not.
It's always hard to say. If he is in, then maybe someone else who played well doesn't have the same production. maybe his presence results in a different effort from our team. The what if game can be pretty tricky.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched parts of the game and man, was it dead at the Wintrust.

If you did a blind comparison between the audio of that game and a random UConn @ East Carolina game, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Not terribly surprised UConn played an uninspiring game in an uninspiring setting.

Thank god we're back at the XL for Tuesday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First game I've missed this year.

I'm assuming the defense to keep DePaul at bay when DePaul got up 23-13 and UConn clawed back was key along with the defense to start the second half when UConn pulled away a bit way was the key to success.

As I've read others say any conference road win is a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
I was really impressed by DePaul’s defense. I’m surprised they haven’t won more games in conference.
Same thoughts here. What was it about their defense that made it so hard for UConn to get open looks? I mean, there were some but not many. It's always been a question mark for me what kind of offense we run, hence the comments of maybe needing a coach for offense. It must depend in part on the skills of our players. I know we only have Cole, perhaps AJ a little, as someone who can take it inside, because everyone else ( Martin, Polley, Hawkins) has basic dribbling problems. Maybe DePaul is better than their record indicates.

Reaction Score
Same thoughts here. What was it about their defense that made it so hard for UConn to get open looks? I mean, there were some but not many. It's always been a question mark for me what kind of offense we run, hence the comments of maybe needing a coach for offense. It must depend in part on the skills of our players. I know we only have Cole, perhaps AJ a little, as someone who can take it inside, because everyone else ( Martin, Polley, Hawkins) has basic dribbling problems. Maybe DePaul is better than their record indicates.

This is still a narrative around here? We need offensive coach and we don’t run an offense?

We are a top 20 offense in Kenpom
Top 25 in ppg in the country

If you watch the game - there is constant motion and sets being run. People need to not just repeat the same stuff the people who don’t know what they are talking about say on here.

Reaction Score
The downside of having a UConn team that is competitive against anybody is that they are competitive against anybody, not just strongly competitive against the best but merely competitive against the worst. Their performance against DePaul augurs nothing about their performance against Creighton or Villanova. Win or lose, it will be something else entirely,

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's not correct at all. He's got a 114 ORTG on the year.

If we compare him to Cole, he gets to the rim more often and finishes better when he does. He can drive left or right. He draws fouls more frequently on a per possession basis. Despite heavier volume, he has a lower turnover rate than Cole (who is pretty low I might add, JFL's is just very low). He's hitting 39% from 3 compared to 33% for Cole on the same volume, many of which are off the dribble pull-ups. He has a decent assist rate, if lower than Cole, but he plays a combo guard role alongside Terry. Depaul's offense is 14 points better per 100 with him on the court. They're a complete dumpster fire on offense without him, as we saw tonight. Nobody can finish or shoot.

They're the equivalent of a top 30 offense with him and 250th without him on the year.

Good points. Here are the stats I like to look at first: Depaul is 1-9 in conference and 10-10 overall. Their two best wins of the season are over Louisville, where Freeman-Liberty was 2 for 15 and Jones won the game for the Blue Demons, and Seton Hall, where JFL got hurt early in the second half and barely played the rest of the game. They lost a winnable game vs. Butler because JFL went on a hero ball, shooting spree, going 4 for 16 from the field (1 for 8 from 3). Since JFL went out, Depaul has gone 0-4, but almost beat Xavier and UConn, two top 25 teams. Depaul looks decent.

JFL is the prototypical bad team star, putting up big stats in games his team is certain to lose, or against weak non-conference opponents. Depaul is not that bad a team anymore, and doesn't need him jacking a dozen contested shots a game. Depaul has winnable home games against Georgetown, Butler and Creighton coming up in the next three weeks, so we will see how this team does. They will beat Georgetown regardless, but if JFL returns and starts launching contested pullups, they will lose two winnable games to Butler and Creighton.

Reaction Score
Good points. Here are the stats I like to look at first: Depaul is 1-9 in conference and 10-10 overall. Their two best wins of the season are over Louisville, where Freeman-Liberty was 2 for 15 and Jones won the game for the Blue Demons, and Seton Hall, where JFL got hurt early in the second half and barely played the rest of the game. They lost a winnable game vs. Butler because JFL went on a hero ball, shooting spree, going 4 for 16 from the field (1 for 8 from 3). Since JFL went out, Depaul has gone 0-4, but almost beat Xavier and UConn, two top 25 teams. Depaul looks decent.

JFL is the prototypical bad team star, putting up big stats in games his team is certain to lose, or against weak non-conference opponents. Depaul is not that bad a team anymore, and doesn't need him jacking a dozen contested shots a game. Depaul has winnable home games against Georgetown, Butler and Creighton coming up in the next three weeks, so we will see how this team does. They will beat Georgetown regardless, but if JFL returns and starts launching contested pullups, they will lose two winnable games to Butler and Creighton.
In the last 4 conference games that he's missed, Depaul has scored 0.79, 0.74, 0.72, and 1.0 ppp. As you mentioned he barely played in the 2nd half of that Seton Hall game, but they were up 17 at halftime and only won by 4. They scored 1.40 ppp in the first half and 0.94 ppp in the 2nd half before garbage FTs.

I still disagree with your premise. I think he looks like that kind of guy, but is actually quite efficient thanks to good volume shooting and extremely low turnover rate. He may jack the ball up sometimes, but at least it's not his teammates turning it over or missing a layup. And he makes enough of the shots to make it actually a good idea. He had a 4 game stretch in conference games where he went 15/27 from 3, also wasn't bad from 2, went to the line and made 20 free throws, and had only 10 combined turnovers in the 4 games. That's star stuff. Included in that was the Nova game where he had 34 points on 17 shots. The rest of his team shot 8 for 34 and they lost by 15.

But as you noted, if he doesn't have it that night, he can definitely shoot them out of (or almost out of in the case of Louisville). a winnable game. Last year that was more often the case, but this year the ball is just going in more often.

Reaction Score
Kn5
This is still a narrative around here? We need offensive coach and we don’t run an offense?

We are a top 20 offense in Kenpom
Top 25 in ppg in the country

If you watch the game - there is constant motion and sets being run. People need to not just repeat the same stuff the people who don’t know what they are talking about say on here.
Offense was fine, missed so many open threes and bunnies. RJ was great.

Reaction Score
does anyone else get frustrated watching Jackson play? I feel like he is passive or out of control, when he is aggressive he turns into another player.

Reaction Score
does anyone else get frustrated watching Jackson play? I feel like he is passive or out of control, when he is aggressive he turns into another player.
200.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom