Deonte Sheffield headed to FSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Deonte Sheffield headed to FSU

Reaction Score
If you went to Uconn, tweeting a player about going to Uconn is an NCAA violation. Maybe Kevin Negandhi is just trying to keep Uconn out of trouble.
Like I said I never have, but he could take his sanctimonious tone and shove it.

Reaction Score
I would not tweet at a kid, but who the he'll is Kevin Negandhi to say that? If you're on twitter with an unblocked account, people are going to tweet at you.

I think it's douchey, but so is Negandhi's tweet.

You're offended that someone posted asking for people to show personal respect and common decency notwithstanding that technology allows otherwise? Seriously?

Reaction Score
If he goes to FSU and if he's not good enough to play there (he may find out FSU coaches use the same recruiting pitch to attract a stsble fuul of RBs), his decision to go there as opposed to UConn will look very foolish. Good chance it does.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If he isn't on scholarship, I don't think he needs to redshirt if he transfers.

Reaction Score
You're offended that someone posted asking for people to show personal respect and common decency notwithstanding that technology allows otherwise? Seriously?
Who said anything about being offended???

I think his tweet is a douchey as people tweeting at kids. It's the type of thing people put out there to get likes.

Twitter alloys you to block and report people instantly.

I wouldn't personally tweet at kids, but I'm on twitter enough to see that these kids engage fans all the time.

To me that was a cornball tweet to get likes. Nothing about that says I'm offended.

Reaction Score
We keep talking about probabilities as if this kid hasn't beat the odds before. Whether he gets a scholarship or not, whether the he plays or not, he is a member of his dream school and a member of a top football program in the country.

Reaction Score
We keep talking about probabilities as if this kid hasn't beat the odds before. Whether he gets a scholarship or not, whether the he plays or not, he is a member of his dream school and a member of a top football program in the country.
Players like to play. No kid is happy sitting on the pine unless he really set his goal to be wearing a jersey. In reality he is delusional like most motivated players and thinks if he can just get a chance it will all fall into place. But the sad truth is he's going to be a scout team guy getting the crap kicked out of him pretending to be another player that does play on saturdays. Sad. But youth is wasted on the young, and experience and wisdom are wasted on those who no longer can. Maybe he catches a break and it works out, but the odds are not good.

Reaction Score
Players like to play. No kid is happy sitting on the pine unless he really set his goal to be wearing a jersey. In reality he is delusional like most motivated players and thinks if he can just get a chance it will all fall into place. But the sad truth is he's going to be a scout team guy getting the crap kicked out of him pretending to be another player that does play on saturdays. Sad. But youth is wasted on the young, and experience and wisdom are wasted on those who no longer can. Maybe he catches a break and it works out, but the odds are not good.

Not delusional, he bet on himself. Football is a result game so if he out performs every player in practice he will see the field regardless. There have been numerous highly recruited athletics that have not panned out and plenty of walkons that have. It won't be easy, he knows that, but does have some control in the matter (the more he works the better his chances to see the field).

At worst you are right and he will have to make a decision whether to transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He gets 5 to play 4
Yes, but unlike a scholarship player that has to sit out a year if he transfers to another school (which counts as 1 of his 5), Stinger is saying that a non-scholarship player is eligible immediately like a grad transfer. I don't know if that's true (although it seems fair, the NCAA isn't generally fair), but that would mean that if he gets his butt kicked and realizes he'll never see the field, he can transfer to another school and have 4 years to play 4. A typical transfer loses a year if they redshirt and then transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the end, it seems he abandoned his "safe" plan of going to UConn or Ga Southern on scholarship, with PT a virtual certainty in the short run and decided to roll the dice, by betting on his ability. Because he can attend FSU as an in-state student, his costs will be greatly subsidized (tuition reduced by 70%). So giving himself a year to see if he can impress the coaches and crack the lineup, may not be such a bad gamble. Should it stretch into a second year w/o much progress though, then he'd be starting to sell himself short. Hopefully he has a similar plan in mind and sticks to it. The danger is, if he isn't making real progress toward seeing the field, that the FSU coaches string him along with false optimism, to ensure program depth, and he wastes his talent on the practice squad. Hoping he has a plan!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the end, it seems he abandoned his "safe" plan of going to UConn or Ga Southern on scholarship, with PT a virtual certainty in the short run and decided to roll the dice, by betting on his ability. Because he can attend FSU as an in-state student, his costs will be greatly subsidized (tuition reduced by 70%). So giving himself a year to see if he can impress the coaches and crack the lineup, may not be such a bad gamble. Should it stretch into a second year w/o much progress though, then he'd be starting to sell himself short. Hopefully he has a similar plan in mind and sticks to it. The danger is, if he isn't making real progress toward seeing the field, that the FSU coaches string him along with false optimism, to ensure program depth, and he wastes his talent on the practice squad. Hoping he has a plan!

I doubt he's paying much. I'll bet the aid packages for walk-ons recommended by the FSU football coaching staff are pretty good.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I doubt he's paying much. I'll bet the aid packages for walk-ons recommended by the FSU football coaching staff are pretty good.

A lot of that is tied to if he is a POW or just a walk on. There is a difference and something anyone should take into account

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Let's say you are a 18 year old bball player. Would you rather be a walk-on for UConn MBB, in the Big East heyday when they were winning BE tourneys and going to the Final Four/NCAA championship, or would you rather be a scholarship player for, say, Colorado State or Central Michigan? I know which one I'd pick.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Let's say you are a 18 year old bball player. Would you rather be a walk-on for UConn MBB, in the Big East heyday when they were winning BE tourneys and going to the Final Four/NCAA championship, or would you rather be a scholarship player for, say, Colorado State or Central Michigan? I know which one I'd pick.
Darn you!

Reaction Score

No matter what you decide, there'd be some jerk on a message board pretending he knows better than you what you should do with your life.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Florida Board of Education provides free tuition and fees to all state universities for all students that meet certain criteria (3.0 and test scores? can't remember exactly). If he winds up having to pay his own way it still won't be anywhere near as much as it could be and he will be close to home and get to be at FSU for 4 years. Not a bad deal.

Reaction Score
Florida Board of Education provides free tuition and fees to all state universities for all students that meet certain criteria (3.0 and test scores? can't remember exactly). If he winds up having to pay his own way it still won't be anywhere near as much as it could be and he will be close to home and get to be at FSU for 4 years. Not a bad deal.
Which works as long as...he get's to play! If he's not playing...then that's a lot of talent to be riding the pine as one of FSU's biggest fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom