Deonte Sheffield headed to FSU | The Boneyard

Deonte Sheffield headed to FSU

Reaction Score
Crap.

I hope we still make a play for a RB frosh here. We are ok there, but could use one beyond williams.

Reaction Score
thats a tough one, staff gave it a go
Got in late and was in it till the bitter end. Lost the kid to his dream school..can't blame the kid for this choice.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If you watch the video posted from his announcement ceremony, it sounds like he didn't even get a real offer from FSU. He is being strung along by FSU. He is hoping to get either a Grey Shirt (have to wait until next January) or even a Blue Shirt (have to pay for the first semester on his own...then MAY get a scholarship offer from FSU). Sounds like he had his heart set on FSU and they are taking advantage of that at FSU. Wishing him good luck, but this doesn't usually work out well for the recruit in the long run.

Reaction Score
If you watch the video posted from his announcement ceremony, it sounds like he didn't even get a real offer from FSU. He is being strung along by FSU. He is hoping to get either a Grey Shirt (have to wait until next January) or even a Blue Shirt (have to pay for the first semester on his own...then MAY get a scholarship offer from FSU). Sounds like he had his heart set on FSU and they are taking advantage of that at FSU. Wishing him good luck, but I'm not too optimistic this will work out for him in the long run.
I agree with you..but at the end of the day you can't fault the kid for making a run to play at his dream school. he may get moved to WR there as well/

Reaction Score
If you watch the video posted from his announcement ceremony, it sounds like he didn't even get a real offer from FSU. He is being strung along by FSU. He is hoping to get either a Grey Shirt (have to wait until next January) or even a Blue Shirt (have to pay for the first semester on his own...then MAY get a scholarship offer from FSU). Sounds like he had his heart set on FSU and they are taking advantage of that at FSU. Wishing him good luck, but this doesn't usually work out well for the recruit in the long run.

Eek, I just read that article, it does sound like a crappy situation for him. He's not even been offered a guarantee of immediate enrollment. Hopefully things work out for him but you're right, there's a lot of red flags there for him.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
That hurts but can't blame the kid FSU was his dream school

He's crazy. FSU already has 2 of the Top 5 RBs in the country. Not going to beat out Akers.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Eek, I just read that article, it does sound like a crappy situation for him. He's not even been offered a guarantee of immediate enrollment. Hopefully things work out for him but you're right, there's a lot of red flags there for him.

And a supreme talent like Cam Akers in his same freshman class. Yikes.

Reaction Score
Some decisions are made without football in mind he turned down a full ride so he must have really just wanted to go to FSU and I can respect that.

While I can understand that way of thinking on his part, if the kid has a statement like (paraphrasing) I don't care, I'm one of the best backs in the country as one of his posts he might want to consider the fact that picking FSU with who they have on the roster and coming in that he will never get a chance to prove it. So he must be in it for the education and experience because with that lineup it looks like he essentially just ended his playing days. Who is he going to take reps from, Akers? I just don't see it happening, especially when they don't even believe in him enough to offer a PWO let alone a scholarship.

Reaction Score
Happy for him going to his dream school.

Who knows what will happen down the road ?

Craz things have happened and feel it might not be the last time we have heard of him. Hope to see him surface on top wherever ...

Reaction Score
So, he is basically a preferred walk-on at FSU, his dream school. Did he look at the roster and recruits?

For 2017, they signed two 5* RBs, the #1 RB and #1 APB. In addition, they got a 4* RB, the #7 ranked RB.

For 2018, they have verbals from a 4* RB, the #3 ranked RB and a 3* RB ranked #23.

On the roster, they have a 4*, #9 RB from 2016 and a 4* #3 RB from 2015.

If he ever gets a scholarship from FSU, it will be a miracle. It seems like he just delayed his college choice until next year. If the FSU scholarship doesn't happen, he will go through the recruiting process again and he will probably have decent options. The risk for him is injury because if he signed an LOI today, he could still get a free college education.

I wish him all the best and I hope we see him at UConn in the future.

Reaction Score
So, he is basically a preferred walk-on at FSU, his dream school. Did he look at the roster and recruits?

For 2017, they signed two 5* RBs, the #1 RB and #1 APB. In addition, they got a 4* RB, the #7 ranked RB.

For 2018, they have verbals from a 4* RB, the #3 ranked RB and a 3* RB ranked #23.

On the roster, they have a 4*, #9 RB from 2016 and a 4* #3 RB from 2015.

If he ever gets a scholarship from FSU, it will be a miracle. It seems like he just delayed his college choice until next year. If the FSU scholarship doesn't happen, he will go through the recruiting process again and he will probably have decent options. The risk for him is injury because if he signed an LOI today, he could still get a free college education.

I wish him all the best and I hope we see him at UConn in the future.
Not only is he risking injury, he's risking regressing by not playing and potentially having limited practice depending on his situation with FSU. They seemed to have not even guaranteed he could enroll there which would of course mean he can't practice.

Reaction Score
It's 2 1/2 hours from Niceville to Tallahassee.....he was obviously a huge fan and that has entered into his decision making process.

If the lack of a definitive scholarship from FSU, the on paper stiff competition he'll encounter there and the possible lack of playing time didn't color his decision....then it may have all come down to how big a fan he was and the fact he is going to be close to home.

If that truly is the case though....and even the slightest whisper of possibility has kept him from Uconn....then he probably wasn't going to be happy coming here.....even if we were #2 on his list.

If he's fine with it....then I guess we should be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kevin Negandhi ‏@KNegandhiESPN · 6h6 hours ago
Do not. I repeat- DO NOT tweet at a HS kid about their college decision. It's their dream, not yours. Go after your own dreams.

Dan Orlovsky ‏@danorlovsky7 · 6h6 hours ago
@KNegandhiESPN @JasonRomano MAN I love this tweet right here! Well said

Reaction Score
Kevin Negandhi ‏@KNegandhiESPN · 6h6 hours ago
Do not. I repeat- DO NOT tweet at a HS kid about their college decision. It's their dream, not yours. Go after your own dreams

Dan Orlovsky ‏@danorlovsky7 · 6h6 hours ago
@KNegandhiESPN @JasonRomano MAN I love this tweet right here! Well said

I would not tweet at a kid, but who the he'll is Kevin Negandhi to say that? If you're on twitter with an unblocked account, people are going to tweet at you.

I think it's douchey, but so is Negandhi's tweet.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Happy for him going to his dream school.

Who knows what will happen down the road ?

Crazy things have happened and feel it might not be the last time we have heard of him. Hope to see him surface on top wherever ...

This exact quote could apply to either 2017 Deonte Sheffield....or to 2012 Randy Edsall. Maybe they will end up with the same result! ;)

Reaction Score
I would not tweet at a kid, but who the he'll is Kevin Negandhi to say that? If you're on twitter with an unblocked account, people are going to tweet at you.

In his defense he did qualify his statement, "...about their college decision." which I think we pretty much would all agree with.

Reaction Score
It's obvious that Deonte has a lot of confidence in his own abilities. Kudos to him! I hope he is given every chance to prove that he is one of the best backs in the country. Should he not be given that chance, he can transfer to a place where he can show his talents. It's a win-win for him. I just hope he remembers who wanted him if he ever decides to transfer. There is a good reason why UConn has numbers in the NFL. There will be a few from this years recruiting group that Randy will elevate, guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Predicting a kids future for the U he loves is futile at best. Go ask the walk ons at Nebraska, Wisconsin.. et al. We don't know his heart.

Reaction Score

If you went to Uconn, tweeting a player about going to Uconn is an NCAA violation. Maybe Kevin Negandhi is just trying to keep Uconn out of trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom