Dennis Dodd: New invitees? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dennis Dodd: New invitees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only factor should be which addition will help the TV contract the most. F everything else at this point. It's a money game now, so lets play it until some handsome B1G bachelor conference hands us a rose.

Reaction Score
The only factor should be which addition will help the TV contract the most. F everything else at this point. It's a money game now, so lets play it until some handsome B1G bachelor conference hands us a rose.
I'd rather have a bride with B1G . (Just messing, I am a face man.)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why would we not add UNLV and New Mexico for all sports, and have a western division? It would be a net positive to the conference RPI. UNLV, SDSU and New Mexico are a lot better than Tulane, ECU, UCF and USF. Run cross country trips for Thursday and Saturday, and it is not that big an inconvenience.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why would we not add UNLV and New Mexico for all sports, and have a western division? It would be a net positive to the conference RPI. UNLV, SDSU and New Mexico are a lot better than Tulane, ECU, UCF and USF. Run cross country trips for Thursday and Saturday, and it is not that big an inconvenience.

Agree. This is the situation: we must plan to be stuck in this awful conference. That means it needs to be an all sports conference that shows up in March and has multiple bids to the tournament. That brings money and exposure. We cannot just pick schools based on which football team is good at the moment. That's lunacy. New Mexico has no less capacity to succeed than UConn does. It's a major state school in a growing state. They are already good at basketball. Same with Nevada, which is already decent at football. I'd add UNLV too, for the hoops and exposure they bring. Get the best institutions, not the institutions with the best current football roster. Pump some money into UNM and Nevada and you may see some results.

Reaction Score
1) we make 28 million a year? no way are you saying they make 28mil a year?
2) why would we be pressured into giving the img deal up w/e the # is? they have schols from every conf on tap.

1. I screw the number up. UConn makes $24.8m a year in licensing. Instead of this being 100% higher than it's cohort, it's about 85% higher. A large part of the licensing is the Tier 3 rights.

2. One reason why the BE football contract would dwarf the MWC's (and thus be attractive for Boise St.) is because of all the East Coast eyeballs, and no school has a bigger audience than UConn. So what may be concerning is that all the other schools want a piece of UConn's pie. And what can Uconn possibly say to those schools that haven't a chance at landing similar licensing deals? This has always been the problem with smaller schools like Wake Forest or Baylor dining at the same table as Texas and Florida St.

Reaction Score
BYU is not as essential as everyone is making them out to be. Nothing against Mormonism, but the more I learn about this school, the less I like.

Academically, they are atrocious. One of the worst ever.

But BYU could be a good western bulwark for UConn, because like UConn, BYU would not want to give up tier 3 rights. They need someone else in the conference, preferably in the west, to keep to that principle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Academically, they are atrocious. One of the worst ever.

But BYU could be a good western bulwark for UConn, because like UConn, BYU would not want to give up tier 3 rights. They need someone else in the conference, preferably in the west, to keep to that principle.

That's absurd. It's a good school. USNews ranks it #71, better than almost all the other schools in this new league, besides UConn, Tulane and SMU.

Reaction Score
That's absurd. It's a good school. USNews ranks it #71, better than almost all the other schools in this new league, besides UConn, Tulane and SMU.

USNews, USNews. And yet everywhere you go inside the academic community, you know the stories of censorship of faculty, long knives out, paying faculty NOT to research and publish, one of the most anti-intellectual environments around. A lot of this stuff is published on the web. Read this if you like: http://www.aaup.org/NR/rdonlyres/27EB0A08-8D25-4415-9E55-8081CC874AC5/0/Brigham.pdf

BYU is one of the few schools that have been formally censured by faculty nationwide as being stifling to academic discourse. If you think this doesn't matter to faculty at these bigtime sports institutions, I can assure you that it does.

Some of the stuff I know is firsthand from people who have been excommunicated, but it got much much worse than that as families were destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom