Dennis Dodd: New invitees? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dennis Dodd: New invitees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Someone help me, why are we still pulling this bull**** football only bull****? We need to form an all sports league, is it not obvious?

East
UConn
Cinci
Temple
Memphis
USF
UCF
Navy and ECU football only

West
SMU
Tulane (I guess we have to, but do we?). I'd throw their asses to the curb
Houston
Boise
SDSU
New Mexico
Nevada
UNLV and Fresno football only?

I guess I just answered my own question, but wouldn't you want UNLV instead of Boise for all sports? Or is this not where we're heading?

The issue at hand is this: We are trying to cobble together the best football conference that we can. The fact that we all have olympic sports going on is secondary to everyone in the conference with the notable exceptions of UConn, Cincy, Memphis, and Temple. SDSU and Boise have already set themselves up in the Big West for olympic sports, and the only other "football only"s are ECU and Navy. Navy is not willing to join us with their olympic sports, and ECU would join in a heartbeat if they are asked to. Now that the C-7 is gone, I fully expect that to happen.

The only reason to set up a western division in the olympic sports is to give our western partners a more stable place for their entire athletic departments. Keep in mind that if the plan is to try to play everyone in olympic sports on a regular basis, east and west, then we will cripple ourselves with ridiculous travel costs for sports that nobody cares about (i.e., volleyball). This CANNOT happen!!! We can have two "separate but allied" olympic divisions of the Big East, and we may be able to set up "OOC's" against each other in some instances (i.e., SDSU vs. UConn in hoops), but for the most part, it doesn't help the eastern schools one bit...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh, and if I didn't mention it enough times in this thread...

...No more weak football additions!!!! Yes, I'm talking to you, New Mexico! I don't care what kind of bball you play!!!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
...No more weak football additions!!!!

That's kind of hard considering the top 64 or so are already spoken for...

I know. We don't have any other choice.

I will still root my school on. Between the tears of harsh reality.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i was mad about teams like this months to a year ago and i talked myself thru the reality of them and the potential they have on thios baord and got run over for it. now that the time has come i laugh hard. in my sick head i tried to make them sounds possible thru potential and w/e else but the whoel time i was just looking into the future and seeing doom and just mentally preparing for this way before others. now i hope all of u enjoy the prospects of football games at fresno state. is the coach with the stache still there? if so as soon as this invite happens they may try to steal one of our tight end recruits away. were going to see a lot of this, i'm sure db was on the phone during his car ride north yesterday lettin everyone at dean know about the 2 retards running uconn and how he got out of it so quick but the ad and pres were to stupid not to. !

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So wait if two more Western schools are address d as fb only who is left for all sports? UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Temple, Memphis, Tulane, UH, SMU. Only a 9 team all sport membership and one of those is Tulane? I know that people view this setup as temporary until more schools jump ship but I'd think there needs to be a long term plan in place for a TV deal. So who gets the all sports invite? ECU? A Western school? All FB only schools?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So wait if two more Western schools are address d as fb only who is left for all sports? UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Temple, Memphis, Tulane, UH, SMU. Only a 9 team all sport membership and one of those is Tulane? I know that people view this setup as temporary until more schools jump ship but I'd think there needs to be a long term plan in place for a TV deal. So who gets the all sports invite? ECU? A Western school? All FB only schools?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

To me, I just don't see any reason why we wouldn't ask ECU to join all sports at this point. Their basketball team isn't having that bad of a year this year, actually. And really, how could they not be better than Tulane??? With 10 teams, everyone having a home-and-home gets you an 18 game in-conference bball league (like the Big East now). UConn will have to schedule appropriately in the OOC, but if we can set up three ranked teams in the OOC along with two games against Cincy, Memphis, and Temple, it shouldn't be a bad SOS on the bball side...

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
No "onlies"

East

UConn
Cincy
Temple
Memphis
USF
UCF
ECU
Tulane (or W. Michigan)

West

BYU
Boise St
SDSU
Fresno
Houston
SMU
UNLV
Tulsa

FB: one game against each in divison with 2 crossover games

BB: home and home against each in division with 4 crossover games

Oly: play only against division

Reaction Score
I think that it is absolutely crucial that the Big East secure Fresno State.

It has a dual effect; it strengthens our western division, and it also takes the next best football team away from the Mountain West. Both of those points solidify the membership of Boise and SDSU. I'm hoping it gets done sooner rather than later, so that it helps in the tv contract negotiations.

After that, if we could secure UNLV and an additional team, especially if that team is BYU (as the article is alluding to), I think that the Big East would have given themselves the defibrillator shock that it so desperately needs!

images

How ducked are things when you say things like "it's crucial that the Big East secures Fresno State"........and it actually makes sense.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Outside of Md and Rutgers getting an invite to the B!G and Ville leaving before UConn, everything was bandied about. That means Aresco and the networks he has been having discussions with knew the general direction of things. That includes the C7 which started six months ago to formulate an exit strategy and the inevitability ND was going to move as a result of this.

That meant Aresco and the BE's potential media partner were prepared six months ago for UConn/Ville, C7 and ND to leave. So the network, for whatever its reasons, wanted ECU and Tulane. The moment the shoe dropped they were added. It was a quick response. Too quick not to have had a networks backing.

I want UConn to get into the B!G, or even the ACC if I knew that conference was going to survive and be strong (something I doubt). Outside of this I want a network affiliate that wants to be a player and invest monies to the NBE if UConn is stuck there.

NBC is the network outside looking in. They are in the position ESPN was in when it started. They invested in infrastructure to get a sports network together. They want content so they are probably the network most likely in discussion with Aresco. The PAC never deserved its contract but it parlayed a moderate league into a great contract because networks are fighting for a limited content of sports.

There is a reason why CBS and ESPN are trashing UConn and pretty much every move the BE makes. They don't want NBC to get a foothold. They are not conspiring against UConn. As much as I want UConn to land outside the BE, if that doesn't happen a dedicated network willing to invest monies into the NBE conference will be a decent alternative.

Reaction Score
No "onlies"

East

UConn
Cincy
Temple
Memphis
USF
UCF
ECU
Tulane (or W. Michigan)

West

BYU
Boise St
SDSU
Fresno
Houston
SMU
UNLV
Tulsa

FB: one game against each in divison with 2 crossover games

BB: home and home against each in division with 4 crossover games

Oly: play only against division
Western Michigan!? I've seen it all, I'm going to bed

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Oh, and if I didn't mention it enough times in this thread...

...No more weak football additions!!!! Yes, I'm talking to you, New Mexico! I don't care what kind of bball you play!!!

Disagree with this. UNM and Nevada are state flagship universities. That gives them more credibility than these regional CCSU type schools like Fresno. If the western schools are in for all sports, we must shore up basketball. Must preserve the one strength we have. Plus, with a crappy tv contract, we will need the NCAA money.

Reaction Score
It seems weird to keep adding western schools for football only. I know travel costs factor in here, but a true "best of the rest" conference seems the best way to go money wise. The western schools can't exactly be thrilled having to stash their other sports in another conference.

I've seen rumors that all the new invitees have out clauses in their "contracts" in the Big East does not hit certain financial incentives in its new television contract. I'd like to know if that's true. Because if it is, what's to stop Boise State and SDSU from just turning around at no penalty? What's worse, what if they take SMU and/or Houston with them? I'd imagine an all sports Western based conference could look pretty decent. What if these schools got together:

1) San Diego State
2) Fresno State
3) Boise State
4) Utah State
5) BYU
6) Air Force
7) Wyoming
8) Colorado State
9) New Mexico
10) Hawaii
11) SMU
12) Houston
13) UNLV
14) Nevada

Essentially, that's the old Mountain West plus a few. You'd be pulling 4 flagship state universities (Hawaii, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Nevada), a couple of bigger revenue state universities (SDSU, UNLV), a national power private school (BYU), a number of big markets, and some solid overall programs. I can't imagine that would be radically different then lumping these schools with Tulane and Memphis and such. I'd hope they don't decide to go that route.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Disagree with this. UNM and Nevada are state flagship universities. That gives them more credibility than these regional CCSU type schools like Fresno. If the western schools are in for all sports, we must shore up basketball. Must preserve the one strength we have. Plus, with a crappy tv contract, we will need the NCAA money.

You, and many others, are just not following. The only way that the western division becomes "all sports" is if they primarily play against themselves. Our new tv contract WILL NOT be big enough for people to be f#$king schlepping around their volleyball and field hockey teams from coast to coast, capeesh? We can no longer think about basketball! We had the best basketball in the world two years ago, and we are now on life support!

Every move....EVERY MOVE.....from here on out has to be a football move. From that standpoint, Fresno is in pole position. Period.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
It seems weird to keep adding western schools for football only. I know travel costs factor in here, but a true "best of the rest" conference seems the best way to go money wise. The western schools can't exactly be thrilled having to stash their other sports in another conference.

I've seen rumors that all the new invitees have out clauses in their "contracts" in the Big East does not hit certain financial incentives in its new television contract. I'd like to know if that's true. Because if it is, what's to stop Boise State and SDSU from just turning around at no penalty? What's worse, what if they take SMU and/or Houston with them? I'd imagine an all sports Western based conference could look pretty decent. What if these schools got together:

1) San Diego State
2) Fresno State
3) Boise State
4) Utah State
5) BYU
6) Air Force
7) Wyoming
8) Colorado State
9) New Mexico
10) Hawaii
11) SMU
12) Houston
13) UNLV
14) Nevada

Essentially, that's the old Mountain West plus a few. You'd be pulling 4 flagship state universities (Hawaii, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Nevada), a couple of bigger revenue state universities (SDSU, UNLV), a national power private school (BYU), a number of big markets, and some solid overall programs. I can't imagine that would be radically different then lumping these schools with Tulane and Memphis and such. I'd hope they don't decide to go that route.

i have been saying the mwc should make a move and pull this off for a while. invite as fball only and zaga as bball only and go to town. kill off idaho and nmst. plenty still u cna add also like utep and tulsa. get sj in there somewhere and give it a go.

maybe:
haw/sdsu/fres/sj/byu/usu/bsu/unr/unlv/wy
nm/tulsa/uh/smu//cst/utep/utsa/nt/tst

Reaction Score

From my view of going to 15 years of UCLA games, Fresno is a pretty amazing Fanbase. Yes ... you heard me. They got like Nebraska for awhile at the Rose Bowl. With a solid Program (and this DeRuyter is good ... (*for how long?)), they can Produce.

Again ... whine all you want about Flagships or Academics ... it is NOW about markets with Aresco. He is being directed by some eyeshade guy at Networks.

Reaction Score
What I'd be most concerned about is that Uconn will be strong-armed into giving up its IMG contract which provides it $28 million a year.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
What I'd be most concerned about is that Uconn will be strong-armed into giving up its IMG contract which provides it $28 million a year.

1) we make 28 million a year? no way are you saying they make 28mil a year?
2) why would we be pressured into giving the img deal up w/e the # is? they have schols from every conf on tap.

Reaction Score
I like Nevada and New Mexico better than Fresno and UNLV. Take the six best departments that we can get in the east and the west.

The Tulane thing really chaps my ass. Why did we need to do that!

Reaction Score
BYU is not as essential as everyone is making them out to be. Nothing against Mormonism, but the more I learn about this school, the less I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom