Dennis Dodd: New invitees? | The Boneyard

Dennis Dodd: New invitees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll admit i've had trouble keeping up with the football only/full member additions. Has any team not on the east coast been added as full members? Were Houston and SMU full or football only?

Reaction Score
Re: SMU and Houston, they will be full members.

Re: football-only, I think it was an offer to start the discussion, but I also don't think the "keystone" Big East programs for the near future (UConn and Cincy) want to preside over more of a dilution of basketball toughness than they have to.

Re: UNLV over Nevada, chalk that up to a $30M higher revenue tally between the Rebs and the Wolfpack. (54M vs. 19.5).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think that it is absolutely crucial that the Big East secure Fresno State.

It has a dual effect; it strengthens our western division, and it also takes the next best football team away from the Mountain West. Both of those points solidify the membership of Boise and SDSU. I'm hoping it gets done sooner rather than later, so that it helps in the tv contract negotiations.

After that, if we could secure UNLV and an additional team, especially if that team is BYU (as the article is alluding to), I think that the Big East would have given themselves the defibrillator shock that it so desperately needs!

images

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Great news. I have no issues associating with the likes of Fresno, BYU, Houston, Cincy, ECU, or UCF. We really need both Fresno and BYU though.

Reaction Score
I think that it is absolutely crucial that the Big East secure Fresno State.

It has a dual effect; it strengthens our western division, and it also takes the next best football team away from the Mountain West. Both of those points solidify the membership of Boise and SDSU. I'm hoping it gets done sooner rather than later, so that it helps in the tv contract negotiations.

After that, if we could secure UNLV and an additional team, especially if that team is BYU (as the article is alluding to), I think that the Big East would have given themselves the defibrillator shock that it so desperately needs!

images

Dan you have to put the head of the husky over theis guy's head and you will have the essense of what UConn FB needs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why is it that I get this funny feeling that when it comes to the BCS bid, the highest ranked team from the gang of five will be a 11-1/10-2 team with no thought given to SOS, just because they will be the last undefeated mini-me. I can hear the coverage now, "In the race to be the best of the rest, Idaho beat N. Dakota St. while Uconn loses to Boise St, effectively ending any hopes for a 'BE' team earning a spot in the 'Atlanta' Bowl."

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan you have to put the head of the husky over theis guy's head and you will have the essense of what UConn FB needs.

I'm no good with photo-shopping. I need some help from Santini or someone like that...

Reaction Score
Fresno St and UNLV should be added ASAP. Both will bring good athletic programs to the BE. BE needs to create a west division of all sports ASAP. Between SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, Houston, Boise and SMU, there will be some good basketball games. They might as well look at New Mexico at this point. That's another solid basketball add.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Fresno St and UNLV should be added ASAP. Both will bring good athletic programs to the BE. BE needs to create a west division of all sports ASAP. Between SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, Houston, Boise and SMU, there will be some good basketball games. They might as well look at New Mexico at this point. That's another solid basketball add.

As far as the New Mexico thing; we cannot fall back into the trap of adding schools because we believe they have a good basketball program. That's just not what any of this is about. We all know that it's about football, and from a football perspective, New Mexico doesn't bring much at all.

If the western schools want to form a western all sports division, so as to save them from playing in leagues like the Big West, etc., then that's fine. But we cannot allow for football adds anymore that do not bring a decent football product...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As far as the New Mexico thing; we cannot fall back into the trap of adding schools because we believe they have a good basketball program. That's just not what any of this is about. We all know that it's about football, and from a football perspective, New Mexico doesn't bring much at all.

If the western schools want to form a western all sports division, so as to save them from playing in leagues like the Big West, etc., then that's fine. But we cannot allow for football adds anymore that do not bring a decent football product...
If BYU and Bosie are in the west, then a weak football sister can be added. It racks up the wins for those two. The SEC has no problem with Kentucky. The ACC had no problem with Duke. After all there aren't any Florida's available.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If BYU and Bosie are in the west, then a weak football sister can be added. It racks up the wins for those two. The SEC has no problem with Kentucky. The ACC had no problem with Duke. After all there aren't any Florida's available.

But you're losing the point. The point is that we are trying to concentrate the absolute best teams that are available outside of the bigger five conferences, and we are doing that primarily so that they play games against UConn, Cincy, USF, etc. Adding scrub teams in the west just insures that the good teams in the west will only play against the good teams in the east once every four years or so. At that point....what's the point? No, they will have to pick up their wins against the Tulane's, Memphis's, and Temple's of the world (hopefully we can start to do that too, someday!)...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If the western division truly wanted to create something for themselves in terms of an all-sports western wing of the Big East, then I wouldn't be opposed to them having some non-football entities join them to help them accomplish that (I know, I know...."the C-7 West"...). I'm thinking about schools like Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, or other schools of that nature that maybe allow for the western Big East schools to play above the levels of a Cal-Davis...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If BYU isn't added then don't even bother. I think Tulane was added just to numb us to the idea of the next couple of horrorshows.

Reaction Score
Big East is a "short term" league. Long term adds like Tulane serves no purpose. By the time Tulane gets good at anything the league will have evolved once again.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
by the time tulane gets good at anything thy will want out of the league

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Tulane was the worst addition by far to the conference, and that's including Memphis. But that addition is over, and we're looking to what we can do in the near future to improve what we have now. To me, it's:

1) Fresno State - Good football school with good reputation and good tv market. MW's best available team, and the move solidifies us as the absolute sixth best conference.
2) BYU - They would be number one, but it would take so much effort and tv wrangling to land them that the timetable demands that they be addition number 2.
3) UNLV - Decent to poor football product in very good market and spends a good amount of money on its athletics. Yet another weakening of the MW and strengthening of us. They also allow us to negotiate "non-conference" games with their basketball team, and in the event that the western schools can form an all-sports division, they would obviously be a big plus.
4) Nevada - They aren't as high as UNLV to me, because I think the upside, spending, and market thing stands against them. But they have a better football product right now, ready to go.
5) Air Force - I have almost tired myself out talking about them, and at times, they seem even more reluctant than BYU to join.

Based on the Dodd article that started this thread, it's nice to see that we are talking to the top three on this list, and I imagine that Nevada isn't far off from being talked to if the one or more of the others balk....

Reaction Score
Someone help me, why are we still pulling this bullshit football only bullshit? We need to form an all sports league, is it not obvious?

East
UConn
Cinci
Temple
Memphis
USF
UCF
Navy and ECU football only

West
SMU
Tulane (I guess we have to, but do we?). I'd throw their asses to the curb
Houston
Boise
SDSU
New Mexico
Nevada
UNLV and Fresno football only?

I guess I just answered my own question, but wouldn't you want UNLV instead of Boise for all sports? Or is this not where we're heading?

Reaction Score
I left BYU out because they can't play in two conferences, they already get to have two wives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom