DeMoss joins the Fever! | The Boneyard

DeMoss joins the Fever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only way she's not leaving Tennessee is if she doesn't have any recruiting responsibilities. She wouldn't be the first assistant coach not to have those responsibilities by any means, but recruiting was supposedly one of her strengths and Tennessee has some serious recruiting work to do.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
The only way she's not leaving Tennessee is if she doesn't have any recruiting responsibilities. She wouldn't be the first assistant coach not to have those responsibilities by any means, but recruiting was supposedly one of her strengths and Tennessee has some serious recruiting work to do.
Agreed! I thought her current duties at Tenn were greatly downplayed in the article.
Yep, she's gone.
http://www.utladyvols.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040212aae.html

HGN

Reaction Score
One has to wonder if DeMoss's departure is any indication that Coach Summitt will not be returning , and that the AD will be looking for a permanent replacement.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
and so it begins... so sayeth some of the posters on the Tenn board. i'd not be surprised to see them make a play for Harper (Jolie) or Caldwell and try to bring them in as an assistant for now, but as the HC in waiting. Have them out on the recruiting trail with Pat to try to minimize the recruiting downtick that will inevitably occur when Pat decides to leave.

FWIW, i've read that L'ville fans believe they have the inside track for Russell and UNC fans believe they have the inside track for Scaife. both are top 10 recruits that Tennessee fans are desperate to land.

if they take that approach, i think a certain number of Tenn fans will be thrilled, but i think in the long run, neither Nikki nor Kellie have shown they can recruit elite level talent. it remains to be seen if players will flock to Tenn if one of them is the HC. i could easily see them permanently dropping out of the top 10. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If the LVs keep it in the family instead of conducting a thorough and exhaustive search for Pat's replacement, it will be a gigantic mistake. And HCIW scenarios can e a recipe for disaster as well.

So naturally I think that's exactly what they should do.

Reaction Score
An odd move.
If this is a precursor to Pat's retirement, wouldn't it make more sense to wait until after Summitt can announce it?
And if it's not, then why leave now when it will only give the impression of a sinking ship?

Unless there's signficant discord behind the scenes and DeMoss didn't like her new role?

Reaction Score
DeMoss may just be sick of recruiting at her age and Dunn losing her top assistant to the Tulsa Shock created an appealing opening.

This opening may be to get Pat's replacement on staff, but there are a couple of other factors in play.

Daerda Charles-Furlow held the assistant coaching position DeMoss took. A former Tennessee player she came back to take the spot Caldwell vacated, and was named recruiting coordinator. She then found out she had cancer during her second season at Tennessee and eventually stepped down from the role during the season because of the travel demands of the position. Tennessee did keep her on the basketball staff though in a created position called "Director of Character Development." If she is healthy again she be moved back to the job she was originally hired to do.

And even if Pat was healthy there is the issue of the overall age of the staff. Lockwood is CD's age and Warlick a few years older. Warlick became an assistant for her college coach at Tennessee the same year Geno and CD started at UCOnn. With DeMoss on staff as well there was no one under the age of 50. And if Charles-Furlow returns to be an assistant she is younger, but not really a young assistant having finished playing at Tenn in 1991. Youth isn't everything, but it doesn't seem to hurt recruiting to have assistant coaches that players can relate to as big sisters.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The coaching by committee approach did not seem to work. The prospects of it magically becoming a panacea for Tennessee's problems are not good. Warlock gradually became the dominant personality, both on the bench and in dealings with media. Hard to tell how that went down with Lockwood, but the DeMoss decision to leave does not suggest that she was copacetic. Only insiders know how (or who) practices are run. Recruiting must be confusing at best. The adminstration has some tough and important decision to make.Orange walls are a-tumbling down until they deal with it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If the LVs keep it in the family instead of conducting a thorough and exhaustive search for Pat's replacement, it will be a gigantic mistake. And HCIW scenarios can e a recipe for disaster as well.

I agree. And I think it may well be what they do. :D

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Tennessee was in trouble when they couldn't land Hollivay or Butts over Rutgers.

Reaction Score
and so it begins... so sayeth some of the posters on the Tenn board. i'd not be surprised to see them make a play for Harper (Jolie) or Caldwell and try to bring them in as an assistant for now, but as the HC in waiting. Have them out on the recruiting trail with Pat to try to minimize the recruiting downtick that will inevitably occur when Pat decides to leave.

FWIW, i've read that L'ville fans believe they have the inside track for Russell and UNC fans believe they have the inside track for Scaife. both are top 10 recruits that Tennessee fans are desperate to land.

if they take that approach, i think a certain number of Tenn fans will be thrilled, but i think in the long run, neither Nikki nor Kellie have shown they can recruit elite level talent. it remains to be seen if players will flock to Tenn if one of them is the HC. i could easily see them permanently dropping out of the top 10. :)

There is no way Kelly or Nikki waould give up head coaching jobs to come to Tn as an assistant even with a "promise."

DeMoss leaving is saying she doesn't want to be there next year regardless of what Pat decides. It is not a good situation for her.

I agree with Alex they will make a huge mistake if they don't do a national search of all available coaches not just Tn alums.

Reaction Score
There is no way Kelly or Nikki waould give up head coaching jobs to come to Tn as an assistant even with a "promise."

DeMoss leaving is saying she doesn't want to be there next year regardless of what Pat decides. It is not a good situation for her.

I agree with Alex they will make a huge mistake if they don't do a national search of all available coaches not just Tn alums.
I also agree. There are so many posibilities as to what may happen that it becomes difficult to be confident in any opinion. Some of the questions are:
Who would have the courage to replace Pat? The honeymoon period would be short. Given the talent at other schools, not the least being Uconn, the probability of failure would be great. My guess would be any worthy candidate would wait for that failure to happen, then swoop in to save the day once the program is in shambles.

Would the administration have the courage to go outside for the best candidate? The pressure to select an insider is strong. That would be the safe route to withstanding criticism if failure occured.

How would an outsider cope with the Pat legend, alumni pressure, fan pressure? Concentrating on basketball would be difficult.

What ambitious coach would be interested in carrying forth someone else's program as opposed to the challenge of developing their own? I doubt if they would be able to get Caldwell for this reason. I think Jolly Harper might be more willing to give it a shot, but would she be TN's choice?

How much influence does TN's deep pockets exert on coaches' willingness to take the job?

Regarding Pat, does she stay at the head, retire, accept some honorary title/job? How will a new coach deal with this? It has worked before, e.g. Wooden, but the other situations existed with people whose mental faculties were intact.

These questions only scratch the surface of the issues that exist.

Reaction Score
some of these posts are freaking hilarious....as one TN fan, i can say that i am not desperate for russell or any other player. TN has the money and most importantly, the DESIRE to hire the right people. there are many teams who do not have the talent of TN or UCONN and still out play teams on a nightly basis. we will survive with the right coach and direction.

for this team, who has dealt with more than any other team in UT history, to end with a HARD fought elite 8 finish is a huge accomplishment. imagine if, god forbid, geno was forced to sit on the sidelines while the games proceeded....elite 8 would be fabulous! right? i am very proud of them and how they handled the media frenzy and pressure.

ps. big shout out to glory johnson for not being bullied by baylor or any other team. warrior.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One has to wonder if DeMoss's departure is any indication that Coach Summitt will not be returning , and that the AD will be looking for a permanent replacement.

I would think that is correct.

Reaction Score

i think you underestimate pat's connection with both nikki or kelly. they are family. not sure what either would do, but i can pretty much say that any former lady vol would never, i repeat...never.....turn down the opportunity to coach TN...even if it meant a year "in waiting" no offense but this is the biggest womens basketball coach spot that has ever been open for hire. ever....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Okay I'm slow HCIW means....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
some of these posts are freaking hilarious....as one TN fan, i can say that i am not desperate for russell or any other player. TN has the money and most importantly, the DESIRE to hire the right people. there are many teams who do not have the talent of TN or UCONN and still out play teams on a nightly basis. we will survive with the right coach and direction.

for this team, who has dealt with more than any other team in UT history, to end with a HARD fought elite 8 finish is a huge accomplishment. imagine if, god forbid, geno was forced to sit on the sidelines while the games proceeded....elite 8 would be fabulous! right? i am very proud of them and how they handled the media frenzy and pressure.

ps. big shout out to glory johnson for not being bullied by baylor or any other team. warrior.

I agree they stood up proud in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
I would think that is correct.
yeah i think this was pat's last year. if pat gets the idea that her illness is going to have a major impact (and sorry i am not a cliff diver who believes the elite 8 and sec tourney champ is a deep dive) then she will step away. nobody can stay at the top forever. we were always going to take a dip when she retired. it's just happening in a different way.

Reaction Score
I agree they stood up proud in the NCAAs.
yeah even when we lost to baylor i wasn't the least bit mad at all. they fought hard and just left it on the floor. their offense needs major reinventing though. and that is one thing that a new coach will likely focus on. for instance, next year, we will be running a lot of guards at people. should be interesting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
yeah i think this was pat's last year. if pat gets the idea that her illness is going to have a major impact (and sorry i am not a cliff diver who believes the elite 8 and sec tourney champ is a deep dive) then she will step away. nobody can stay at the top forever. we were always going to take a dip when she retired. it's just happening in a different way.

No one who loves WCBB can see a giant in the game step away this way and not be saddened. Sure, we Huskies love to hate her over certain history, but it has always for most of us been like Geno and his Evil Empire humor that PS unfortunately didn't get.

Reaction Score
No one who loves WCBB can see a giant in the game step away this way and not be saddened. Sure, we Huskies love to hate her over certain history, but it has always for most of us been like Geno and his Evil Empire humor that PS unfortunately didn't get.

thanks rocky. the evil empire thing did get misread by many...compliment actually :)

U

UCONNfan1

Tennessee was in trouble when they couldn't land Hollivay or Butts over Rutgers.
i think that solidified what everyone had been "whispering" about - that Tennessee recruiting was in trouble. Kaela Davis decommitting was a huge blow and took (i think it did) most Tennessee fans by surprise. they have a solid team who is likely to be somewhere between 8-15 next year. not bad but certainly not what Tennessee fans are used to.

i read on their board (it was a while ago so i'm going from memory) that they are hot on the trail of Davis, Russell, Muvunga, Reimer, Scaife, Greenwell, and Deshields. i still have to believe Davis ends up there but i have no idea if she's getting serious with anyone else. if Russell and Muvunga end up at Louisville, Scaife ends up at UNC, Reimer at ND, and Deshields ends up at UCONN or Maryland, they better pray they land Davis and Greenwell cuz missing out on both would be devastating.

and if they don't land ANYONE in the top 10, they will watch their team slide in the SEC and in the rankings as well as others in WCBB continue to pass them by.

side note, how can we get the NCAA to put them as the 4 seed in our bracket next year???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom