Demolish the XL center | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Demolish the XL center

Reaction Score
You guys are insufferable. We should just play our home games in the Bahamas since that’s the last time Polley had a great shooting game.

The team needs to show up on any court. I don’t care about shooting percentages here or there - just win the ****ing game.
Now you’re talking!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Who knows? You’re blaming the loss on the court? On the venue? Not on the poor play?
The poor shooting was (in part) due to the venue. 100% yes. There are data points to back up that we shoot worse at XL vs Gampel.

Does playing that at Gampel mean we win? No. But it removes a negative factor from the equation. A “home court” shouldn’t have a negative factor like the XL does.

The XL neutralizes our home court advantage because while it is a hard floor for our opponents to shoot on, it’s a harder (than Gampel) floor for us to shoot on too.

Why in the world do we want to play games in a stadium that makes it harder for us to score at?

We practice at Gampel. That’s where the players are most comfortable. That’s where they know the sight lines. That’s where they have an advantage.

How do people not see this as a problem?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Remember when the storm chasers came to Gampel a few years back? Every other college embraced them and what does UConn do? Arrests them. Literally. They arrested them. For trying to have fun at a UConn game.
Are we positive that wasn’t like a staged event?

Reaction Score
Are we positive that wasn’t like a staged event?
UConn makes you get prior permission from an RA just to have a guest over on Spring Weekend (If it can even be called that anymore). It was not staged, our university admins hates everything and anything that is considered fun. They have an "academic reputation" to uphold now..

Reaction Score
The poor shooting was (in part) due to the venue. 100% yes. There are data points to back up that we shoot worse at XL vs Gampel.

Does playing that at Gampel mean we win? No. But it removes a negative factor from the equation. A “home court” shouldn’t have a negative factor like the XL does.

The XL neutralizes our home court advantage because while it is a hard floor for our opponents to shoot on, it’s a harder (than Gampel) floor for us to shoot on too.

Why in the world do we want to play games in a stadium that makes it harder for us to score at?

We practice at Gampel. That’s where the players are most comfortable. That’s where they know the sight lines. That’s where they have an advantage.

“We practice at Gampel”. “It’s where they are most comfortable”.

Is the goal not to take the players out of their “comfort” zone so they don’t spit the bit on a neutral court in March?

Reaction Score
You two are clearly missing the point
I am not missing any point. It's a tired excuse for failure. If they can find a way to play all their games at Gampel fine. But blaming the poor performance on the Hartford XL Center, or whatever it's called now, is just a cheap excuse for failure. The visiting teams only play once in that building while UConn plays several times there, but yet UConn's performance is affected more adversely than the visitors?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Is the goal not to take the players out of their “comfort” zone so they don’t spit the bit on a neutral court in March?
Lmfao sure why don’t we play all our games on the road then! Sure to be nice and battle tested!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

When we play at some big hockey arena in March, both teams may have trouble scoring, hence the “neutral” court.

But you’re advocating to neutralize our home court advantage in scheduled “home” games is lunacy.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Duke fan say “hey let’s play at the Hurricanes arena downtown Raleigh vs UVA to prepare for March Madness!”

Reaction Score
Lmfao sure why don’t we play all our games on the road then! Sure to be nice and battle tested!

Well maybe we can move the ncaa tournament to storrs or a Hurley apologista approved arena.

When UConn gave away the game to creighton last year the game was at…Gampel.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I am not missing any point. It's a tired excuse for failure. If they can find a way to play all their games at Gampel fine. But blaming the poor performance on the Hartford XL Center, or whatever it's called now, is just a cheap excuse for failure. The visiting teams only play once in that building while UConn plays several times there, but yet UConn's performance is affected more adversely than the visitors?
The point isn’t that the visitors aren’t also affected. It’s the fact that we are neutralizing our own home court advantage that’s the problem.

Why are we purposely advocating to play at a “home” arena that makes it tougher and not easier for our guys? No other fan base in the country echos that sentiment. That’s crazy to think that way.

That’s what you want? Then fine. But don’t be mad when we continue to drop games at the XL and finish middle of the pack year after year because we are making it tougher on the team to win home games.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Well maybe we can move the ncaa tournament to storrs or a Hurley apologista approved arena.

When UConn gave away the game to creighton last year the game was at…Gampel.
You continue to miss the point. I’m not claiming we win last night if it’s at Gampel.

Just that we lose a huge advantage by not playing there.

That’s the point.

Do you admit we have a better advantage in Storrs vs Hartford? If so, you agree with me. If not, then we disagree.

But I’m done circling the wagon if you refuse to believe in the data that backs it up (plus the difference in play between the two stadiums for anyone who actually watches the game).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You guys are insufferable. We should just play our home games in the Bahamas since that’s the last time Polley had a great shooting game.

The team needs to show up on any court. I don’t care about shooting percentages here or there - just win the ****ing game.
We should just play all our games away, since venue doesn’t matter and away games have higher quadrant rankings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You continue to miss the point. I’m not claiming we win last night if it’s at Gampel.

Just that we lose a huge advantage by not playing there.

That’s the point.

Do you admit we have a better advantage in Storrs vs Hartford? If so, you agree with me. If not, then we disagree.

But I’m done circling the wagon if you refuse to believe in the data that backs it up (plus the difference in play between the two stadiums for anyone who actually watches the game).
Ignore him mclovin, he says last year that we gave the game away at an EMPTY COVID GAMPEL..

CL82

Reaction Score
They want to keep the XL to keep Hartford alive....It will take more than UConn basketball to do that.
Not according to this thread. Posters want play in the XL Center, because it shortens their commute and there’s easier access to bars.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I got sucked into this argument.

My two questions are:

1) How much of the current XL environment is the further decline (COVID and generally speaking) of Hartford and people just not being in the city nearly as much for anything?

2) How much of it is a fan base that is made up of a) older fans that saw 4 titles and are a little less "enthused" than they were 20 years ago and b) younger fans that just aren't as rabid a fan or been used to the consistent excellence of the program and Big East?

CL82

Reaction Score

Agree 100%. We should play all our games on the road so that we will be ready for March madness, of course we won’t be playing in it, but by God will be ready for it!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

McLovin - I like you. Good guy, great avatar, classic movie.

But the shooting is not due to the venue. The fact of the matter is we missed more layups last night than we did in the Maryland game last year.

On top of that, Polley is not a good shooter. Martin is not a great shooter. Hawkins is a deer in the headlights. Jackson has severe deficiencies, his shooting % is fools gold. The team is what it is - we lack shooting. It is our Achilles heel.

When Cole does not shoot well we likely will lose.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
McLovin - I like you. Good guy, great avatar, classic movie.

But the shooting is not due to the venue. The fact of the matter is we missed more layups last night than we did in the Maryland game last year.

On top of that, Polley is not a good shooter. Martin is not a great shooter. Hawkins is a deer in the headlights. Jackson has severe deficiencies, his shooting % is fools gold. The team is what it is - we lack shooting. It is our Achilles heel.

When Cole does not shoot well we likely will lose.
Agree to disagree on the venue (that’s okay) but you’re spot on about the rest.

Hawkins missed shots worse than I would have yesterday.

Polley is always going to be streaky, venue or not, it is just what it is at this point.

I wish Martin looked for a few more 3s last night. He tried to do most of his damage in the pain surrounded by 3 defenders.

Cole passed up way too many jump shots IMO.

Reaction Score

we play half off our scheduled games on a uncomfortable opponents court. If we dont take advantage of all the advantages we could get, we wont be playing in March.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I can't believe I got sucked into this argument.

My two questions are:

1) How much of the current XL environment is the further decline (COVID and generally speaking) of Hartford and people just not being in the city nearly as much for anything?

2) How much of it is a fan base that is made up of a) older fans that saw 4 titles and are a little less "enthused" than they were 20 years ago and b) younger fans that just aren't as rabid a fan or been used to the consistent excellence of the program and Big East?
Less about Covid IMO (PC sold out and Gampel has been full this season) and Hartford is probably more conveniently located in the state for most fans is assume.

Your second question is the root of the problem IMO. An older fan base that was spoiled with 25 insane years of top level basketball that included 4 championships. The general enthusiasm isn’t there for the average CT resident, but that doesn’t give the students a pass.

Although I will give them a slight pass for not wanting to bus to Hartford on a cold Tuesday night. Been there, done that. Would have much preferred to just walk from my dorm to Gampel. Although I always showed up at XL.

But let’s make it easier, not hard for the students to get enthused.

The UConn fan base is kind of like the Yankees fan base now IMO. Older fans who have become less enthused after the dynasty in the 90s. That attitude has seeped all the way to the ownership who seems just content “making the playoffs” every year.

It’s made it frustrating to be a Yankee fan. I really hope the administration stops that from happening to the UConn huskies too (although that ship may have sailed).

Reaction Score
A home court should be exactly that, a home court. The crowd was so quiet last night that I forgot it was a home game until I saw the Husky face at midcourt. I remember the Civic Center really rocking in 1990. Now it seems like an outdated, shabby facility with bad sight lines. I live 10 minutes from the XL Center and 35 minutes from Gampel. I'll gladly drive the extra 25 minutes to Gampel.

To those of you saying it doesn't matter which "home court" UConn plays on, I disagree strongly. I bet Hurley and most, if not all, of the players would choose to play all the home games at Gampel if possible. Home games should feel like home games, there are enough tough venues for road games.

The biggest problem is getting really good ball movement and good clean looks at the basket. That's a bigger issue than the home court venue, however, it is undeniable that Gampel provides more of a true home court than the XL Center does.
Same. I was home by 8:40 last night. At this point, it is time to move back home to Storrs The state and Hartford have it backwards. They moved the Hartford campus downtown to help bars and restaurants. They are 18 year old kids. They need a fake id for bars and I doubt they are eating at restaurants. Hartford needs businesses downtown. The place was dead before the pandemic. I saw a picture of the trolley days and it looked like a city. If there were businesses along with all the apartments I would feel different. Again, the team sucked last night which is a different story. Playing in an outdated NHL arena with fans who act like they are at a tennis match does not help

Reaction Score

How do you not see that our opponents shoot on the same court at the same baskets. I’ve played on hundreds of courts and the baskets, sight lines, etc. are the same for everyone.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
How do you not see that our opponents shoot on the same court at the same baskets. I’ve played on hundreds of courts and the baskets, sight lines, etc. are the same for everyone.
Right. And you continue to miss the point.

The point isn’t that it’s tougher for UConn than their opponent. It’s tough for both, I’ve said I agree with that.
The point is that the XL Center is a more difficult shooting environment (stats back that up) than Gampel for OUR OWN TEAM.

You really think it’s a good idea to neutralize ourselves by putting the team in an arena that makes it harder for them to score?

No other fan base in the country would advocate for neutralizing their own team on their own “home” floor.

The XL Center in a “home” floor in name only. We lose any advantage (i.e. playing in the same gym our team practices in daily, when the other team does not) by playing on a floor that makes it just a difficult for our players to adjust as it does the opponent.

If the XL Center was our on campus arena that we practiced at daily and became comfortable with the sight lines, then it would be a different story.

But it’s not. And you guys keep pretending like it makes no difference because both teams have to struggle shooting. That’s completely backwards way to think about a home court advantage.

And that 100% makes it harder for us to win those games. We should be doing everything possible to make it easier for the team to win, like every single other program in the country.

And then there is the crowd factor, but that’s already been covered in other posts.

Reaction Score
Less about Covid IMO (PC sold out and Gampel has been full this season) and Hartford is probably more conveniently located in the state for most fans is assume.

Your second question is the root of the problem IMO. An older fan base that was spoiled with 25 insane years of top level basketball that included 4 championships. The general enthusiasm isn’t there for the average CT resident, but that doesn’t give the students a pass.

Although I will give them a slight pass for not wanting to bus to Hartford on a cold Tuesday night. Been there, done that. Would have much preferred to just walk from my dorm to Gampel. Although I always showed up at XL.

But let’s make it easier, not hard for the students to get enthused.

The UConn fan base is kind of like the Yankees fan base now IMO. Older fans who have become less enthused after the dynasty in the 90s. That attitude has seeped all the way to the ownership who seems just content “making the playoffs” every year.

It’s made it frustrating to be a Yankee fan. I really hope the administration stops that from happening to the UConn huskies too (although that ship may have sailed).
I think your comparison to Yankee fans has weight. I'd also say, my entire family was Sox fans and growing up, every picnic or BBQ had a passionate conversation about the Sox and if "this was the year". Being a Sox fan appears to be a lot more "fun" and a lot less live or die now, understandably so.

And look past the location of Hartford and into why people would go to that location. Look at the Yard Goats park. What are we now? 6 years in and not a single new business within a block or two radius. The people who make decisions for the City of Hartford could screw up making a jam sandwich.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom