Demolish the XL center | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Demolish the XL center

Reaction Score
Texas vs Texas tech. That is a home
Court advantage. Place is nuts.
You understand that game had been marked in the calendar for a year now after Chris Beard left Texas Tech to become the Longhorns head coach. Every tech fan wanted to give him and the Longhorns hell and never let him forget about leaving there

Reaction Score
It’s amazing to me how many are not getting this. UConn doesn’t have a home court advantage with Hartford unless it’s sold out. Teams are not uncomfortable coming into a place that has a 5,000 empty seats. If you don’t get that then you don’t get college basketball.

Villanova.
They are only playing 3 games this year at Wells Fargo Center. All being on the weekend. They would never play Creighton on a Tuesday night in downtown.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
They are only playing 3 games this year at Wells Fargo Center. All being on the weekend. They would never play Creighton on a Tuesday night in downtown.

Only because of the tournament being hosted there this year (so they can potentially play there). They absolutely would play this game at the big gym otherwise. Stop.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing to me how many are not getting this. UConn doesn’t have a home court advantage with Hartford unless it’s sold out. Teams are not uncomfortable coming into a place that has a 5,000 empty seats. If you don’t get that then you don’t get college basketball.

That's only so they can play there in the NCAA tournament. Next year will be back to normal.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Here’s the bottom line…

Yes, we absolutely should be able to beat a team like Creighton in Storrs, Hartford, Omaha, NYC or in China. The venue shouldn’t matter.

BUT the numbers don’t lie. We shoot worse in the XL center.

The weekday attendance is terrible.

Why are we purposely nuking our home court advantage (do we win this game in Gampel? Idk but we score more than 55 points for sure) to sell a few more potential tickets? Not to mention it’s embarrassing to see all those empty seats and 15 students in the student section on TV.

Don’t blame Covid, we packed Gampel for an 8:30 tip vs bottom feeder Georgetown on Thursday.

Yes we can’t blame the arena for the loss per se, but we also can’t hide from the fact the building does this team no home court favors.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You understand that game had been marked in the calendar for a year now after Chris Beard left Texas Tech to become the Longhorns head coach. Every tech fan wanted to give him and the Longhorns hell and never let him forget about leaving there

45:07 says hello. Or whatever the made up math Hurley came up with to "motivate" the team to finish strong after the meltdown against Creighton in BET last season and the first round NCAAT dud.

Hurley had this game marked for 10 months.

Reaction Score
PC and Creighton beat us and failed to crack 60 points.
What does this mean? Creighton shot 10% better than us and 13% better on 3s. Has zero to do with the arena. Sometimes I wish we would play all games at Gampel so this idiocy would be apparent.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we’ve ever gotten a bounce in the XL center as good as either of the ridiculous bounces Creighton got tonight.

It’s amazing to me how many are not getting this. UConn doesn’t have a home court advantage with Hartford unless it’s sold out. Teams are not uncomfortable coming into a place that has a 5,000 empty seats. If you don’t get that then
it’s amazing to me you can’t explain how this team came out and played like crap against providence on the weekend in front of a sold out raucous xl crowd.

They didn’t seem to mind playing in the xl in the beginning of the 2nd halves (after they dug a hole and before winning time which are their usual weak points regardless of venue).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why are we purposely nuking our home court advantage (do we win this game in Gampel? Idk but we score more than 55 points for sure) to sell a few more potential tickets? Not to mention it’s embarrassing to see all those empty seats and 15 students in the student section on TV.

End of game they show the Creighton playing shooting FT's with the behind the shooter camera angle. There's like 2 rows of students on the floor and an empty section of seats like 100' from the basket.

Reaction Score
That's only so they can play there in the NCAA tournament. Next year will be back to normal.
If thats true then I’ll accept defeat with that point. However just taking a quick glance of the splits especially the last season with fans (2019-2020). Most if not all Wells Fargo games are weekend games vs good teams.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
What does this mean? Creighton shot 10% better than us and 13% better on 3s. Has zero to do with the arena. Sometimes I wish we would play all games at Gampel so this idiocy would be apparent.
Take away 2 of the luckiest 3 pointers of the year and they shot 29% from 3. They shot under 40% in the game from the floor, well below their season average of 46%.

Are you really saying if this game was in Gampel the script would have been exactly the same?

Reaction Score
it’s amazing to me you can’t explain how this team came out and played like crap against providence on the weekend in front of a sold out raucous xl crowd.

They didn’t seem to mind playing in the xl in the beginning of the 2nd halves (after they dug a hole and before winning time which are their usual weak points regardless of venue).
Who said them losing was 100% on Hartford? And again you’re only helping the argument for pro Gampel people comparing a sold out providence on a weekend vs playing Creighton at 6:00 during a weeknight.

Reaction Score
I've been going to games since 1984. Hundreds of games. There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind that Gampel is a better home court. None whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Who said them losing was 100% on Hartford? And again you’re only helping the argument for pro Gampel people comparing a sold out providence on a weekend vs playing Creighton at 6:00 during a weeknight.
This program will be playing games in the XL like they have the last 40 years.

You guys says they lost because the crowd was half full and quiet in the 1st half (when the team played lousy).

The crowd was full and loud for the providence game and they still no showed.

Maybe this coach should stop psyching himself and his team out from playin there because they will be playing half their games there regardless of whether his apologists want to use the building as an excuse for the fact this coaching staff makes decisions that lose us these games.

Reaction Score
It’s been pretty much de rigueur for us to blame the refs for a loss. Not sure this new excuse is good for the mojo.

Reaction Score
The xl center and the endless debates about what to do with it. Both awful. implode the sucker and move on. Every puke home game is played in the same arena and is always packed. This isn't difficult. If they absolutely have to play in Hartford, build a smaller modern basketball arena but there is no reason to not play every home game at Gampel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s been pretty much de rigueur for us to blame the refs for a loss. Not sure this new excuse is good for the mojo.
It is if we believe it is.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You guys are insufferable. We should just play our home games in the Bahamas since that’s the last time Polley had a great shooting game.

The team needs to show up on any court. I don’t care about shooting percentages here or there - just win the ****ing game.

Reaction Score
The xl center and the endless debates about what to do with it. Both awful. implode the sucker and move on. Every puke home game is played in the same arena and is always packed. This isn't difficult. If they absolutely have to play in Hartford, build a smaller modern basketball arena but there is no reason to not play every home game at Gampel.
I've argued for all games at gampel since the arena opened. Unfortunately money talks and most of the big and corporate donors say Gampel is too far or too hard to get to during the week can't see it ever changing.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You guys are insufferable. We should just play our home games in the Bahamas since that’s the last time Polley had a great shooting game.

The team needs to show up on any court. I don’t care about shooting percentages here or there - just win the ****ing game.
Sometimes when people talk about sports they act like it’s a video game and completely forget their is a human element to every aspect of it.

I agree we need to win regardless of venue, but can we please stop ignoring the fact that the team clearly plays better at Gampel and has for the past 15 years.

Are people really advocating to keep playing XL purely on the principle of “we should win a anywhere?”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom