DeMayo, Kantner and Denise... | The Boneyard

DeMayo, Kantner and Denise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't remember Denise's last name. No Bonita, two nights in a row, thank goodness!

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Can't remember Denise's last name. No Bonita, two nights in a row, thank goodness!

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk

Denise Brooks.

Obviously, the powers that be in the big East Conference think rather highly of the officials to whom considerable wrath and disdain is directed here in the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
The reason why UConn won this game is that it was called fairly, FOR A CHANGE, right from the start. I can't believe people don't see how refs impact the game. All you need to do is watch enough ND and Duke games and it is obvious. Now, some teams are mentally tough enough to not let the early calls and non-calls affect them. So, in some sense, it isn't just the refs. But when teams are susceptible to being beaten up without calls being made and then get called for touch fouls on shooters, the refs can make a HUGE difference in the game. This UConn team is not mentally tough enough to deal with a game not being called fairly or getting beaten up without the fouls being called. If we play ND again, and that happens, UConn loses, period.

Reaction Score
I thought the refs did a good job last night especially on ND's favorite play where someone (usually Novacel, but others too) come barreling to the net, body out of control, smashes into our defender(s), at the last possible second flings the ball up toward the net, having virtually no chance of scoring and draws a foul. The refs didn't get suckered into that last night. And you could see the disgust in their eyes when they didn't get the foul, or worse they were called for a charge.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought the refs did a good job last night especially on ND's favorite play where someone (usually Novacel, but others too) come barreling to the net, body out of control, smashes into our defender(s), at the last possible second flings the ball up toward the net, having virtually no chance of scoring and draws a foul. The refs didn't get suckered into that last night. And you could see the disgust in their eyes when they didn't get the foul, or worse they were called for a charge.
That was huge but there were still plenty of bad calls. They just weren't critical.

Reaction Score
I agree whole heartily. I said to my wife we finally got a crew that was not gonna fall for Mugget ball. Skylar's and Novesl's favorite shot Hit a player in the lane and fire up a shot. I you re watch the game Uconn overloaded the sides of the lane to make it almost impossible to drive across the lane and chuck it up. I bet Skylar didn't hit 3 0r four runner in the lane all night. Of her 16 points, 6 were on end of the game chuck it at the rim 3's.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
yeah....ND, we are on to you......

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
That was huge but there were still plenty of bad calls. They just weren't critical.

Exactly. There were a lot of bad calls and a lot of no calls but there were few impact calls.

Reaction Score
The refs didn't get suckered into that last night. And you could see the disgust in their eyes when they didn't get the foul, or worse they were called for a charge.

And there is a reason why they had that look of disgust in their eyes. They always get those bogus call and now feel ENTITLED to them. If they didn't get preferential treatment SO OFTEN, they wouldn't have that entitlement mentality. Basketball is a great game but it is sadly flawed. The bias of the refs have far too much influence on the outcome. If the game could be called by robots or a computer a LOT of games would end up with different winners.

Reaction Score
Overall the refs did a good job. That being said, I think that Notre Dame committed a considerable amount of travels and were not called on it. It was annoying at times because I would watch and think, "Wow, isn't that a travel"? Then they would call Kelly Faris for traveling with less than a minute and she was being harassed on the sideline. But whatever, the better team won last night. I hope Notre Dame ends up playing Baylor. That would be the best thing int he world.

Reaction Score
They are still 3 of the 4 worst refs in WCBB (Bonita Spence being the 4th). Overall, I agree it wasn't too bad. But many of the calls we made by refs who were out of position to make the calls they made, always a mystery to me.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Something I was not aware of... Dee Kantner is the Supervisor of Officials for the WNBA.

Reaction Score
The reason why UConn won this game is that it was called fairly, FOR A CHANGE, right from the start.

You could have fooled Geno. He was absolutely furious at the officiating early in the game, especially at DeMayo. At one point, after a break in action, he went over and pounded his fist on the table in front of the Big East commissioner, sending her scurrying from the table into the stands. The officiating seemed to change a bit after his early histrionics.

Reaction Score
Ah....the Master.
Overall, I thought it was a fairly called game. I think the couple chages that went AGAINST ND set the tone (Obviously, puiting Novasel on the bench was GIGANTIC!).

You could have fooled Geno. He was absolutely furious at the officiating early in the game, especially at DeMayo. At one point, after a break in action, he went over and pounded his fist on the table in front of the Big East commissioner, sending her scurrying from the table into the stands. The officiating seemed to change a bit after his early histrionics.

Reaction Score
The reason why UConn won this game is that it was called fairly, FOR A CHANGE, right from the start. I can't believe people don't see how refs impact the game. All you need to do is watch enough ND and Duke games and it is obvious. Now, some teams are mentally tough enough to not let the early calls and non-calls affect them. So, in some sense, it isn't just the refs. But when teams are susceptible to being beaten up without calls being made and then get called for touch fouls on shooters, the refs can make a HUGE difference in the game. This UConn team is not mentally tough enough to deal with a game not being called fairly or getting beaten up without the fouls being called. If we play ND again, and that happens, UConn loses, period.

Your observation on this team's ability to react to the way the officials are calling the game is right on! The last two games, and especially the semi's, they were calling so many fouls on UConn in the offensive end it was ridiculous, but we did not react. We had a few early last night, but finally smartened up, or we would have been dead. As it was, Tiffany got in trouble and shortened to the bench to one. And then with Dolson sucking wind the last nine minutes, and KML's legs shot, he opted to stay with them on the floor. When Bria had to come out he had to bring in Kelly, and bang, bang, the "witch" was dead!!

Make up calls drive me nuts, and that happened in both halves last night. I don't think they had a major impact last night, but they did it in both halves, calling a bunch on us late first half, but the worm turned in the second half, and we got a couple of late calls. One was right on under the basket with no time off the clock, but another was late in the game right in front of Geno, late in the clock so we got a new 30, that was a good one. What hurts is when a makeup takes a player out of the game on a cheap make up call, and that's where I think Dolson gets in trouble early sometimes.

PS. Loved Bonita in the semi's, her best game ever!!

Reaction Score
Have you ever heard of a ref calling a foul in BB and then changing her mind? I know it happens in football sometimes--the ref throws the flag and then picks it up.

Sometimes when you instantly replay a foul in your mind, you see that it really wasn't a foul. Do the refs ever do that?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Have you ever heard of a ref calling a foul in BB and then changing her mind? I know it happens in football sometimes--the ref throws the flag and then picks it up.

Sometimes when you instantly replay a foul in your mind, you see that it really wasn't a foul. Do the refs ever do that?
I have only see one or two ever.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have only see one or two ever.
Yep. Very rare, especially on judgement calls.

There was a piece a number of years ago on Lisa Mattingly, where she talked about one game where she cost a team a win. The second she blew her whistle, she was pretty sure it was a mistake. But . . . Granted she felt awful afterward when the tape confirmed what she thought. The article was about a lot else and very positive otherwise, incidently.

One of the things I think is that officials follow the rule - be wrong with confidence!

Reaction Score
And there is a reason why they had that look of disgust in their eyes. They always get those bogus call and now feel ENTITLED to them. If they didn't get preferential treatment SO OFTEN, they wouldn't have that entitlement mentality. Basketball is a great game but it is sadly flawed. The bias of the refs have far too much influence on the outcome. If the game could be called by robots or a computer a LOT of games would end up with different winners.

Robots would probably make bad calls also. It is important that the calls are even for both sides even the bad ones. Geno set up the defense to stop Novosel and Diggins from getting call for the contact they create.

Reaction Score
Something I was not aware of... Dee Kantner is the Supervisor of Officials for the WNBA.

Dee Kantner was also among the first women to officiate in the NBA.

Reaction Score
did anyone happen to notice stef running into peters on uconn's very first posession, knocking her flat on her back? i couldn't believe stef doing that, and was quite surprised that nothing was called. she literally just ran into her. peters had to be wondering what the hell just happened, as she struggled to her feet. when nothing was called, i had a feeling that things might go uconn's way.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
did anyone happen to notice stef running into peters on uconn's very first posession, knocking her flat on her back? i couldn't believe stef doing that, and was quite surprised that nothing was called. she literally just ran into her. peters had to be wondering what the hell just happened, as she struggled to her feet. when nothing was called, i had a feeling that things might go uconn's way.

You mean this little love tap? Roll Tape
Actually the funny part is what Beth says right after it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom