DeLoss Dodds/Texas (grudgingly) accepts that the Big 12 will be adding two members | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DeLoss Dodds/Texas (grudgingly) accepts that the Big 12 will be adding two members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They'd have to look elsewhere. I'm not sure which sports you are talking about since most of these are far from high profile. Most of those former Big East schools have men's soccer, lacrosse, track and field, baseball, field hockey, women's volleyball, etc. If you don't think they'd sacrifice some of the other non revenue sports to lesser leagues to save football independence I'm not sure you realize how much they value it.

If they valued it so much, why have they tried to join conferences in the past? I think they are much closer to joining than people realize.

Reaction Score
If they valued it so much, why have they tried to join conferences in the past? I think they are much closer to joining than people realize.

We'll just have to wait and see. I think we better get used to the idea that UConn will be the anchor of the conference that we are in for the foreseeable future. Hopefully we are as great as we think we are.

Reaction Score
We'll just have to wait and see. I think we better get used to the idea that UConn will be the anchor of the conference that we are in for the foreseeable future. Hopefully we are as great as we think we are.

Any extended period in such a conference will totally destroy UConn sports. I see no point in getting used to it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Any extended period in such a conference will totally destroy UConn sports. I see no point in getting used to it.

It's a fast track to becoming UMass South.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hope and think that Rutgers never ends up in the Big 12 if the Big 12 decides to go to 12. If the Big 12 moves on Rutgers, the ACC will tell ND now or never, and when ND says "never", the ACC will add UConn and Rutgers.

Swofford would lose his job if either UConn or Rutgers ended up in one of the 5 majors.

Reaction Score
I hope and think that Rutgers never ends up in the Big 12 if the Big 12 decides to go to 12. If the Big 12 moves on Rutgers, the ACC will tell ND now or never, and when ND says "never", the ACC will add UConn and Rutgers.

Swofford would lose his job if either UConn or Rutgers ended up in one of the 5 majors.

That's not an improbable scenario. It makes sense logically but I wonder if it would work out that way.
Consider, the ACC can always come back and invite Vanderbilt instead. Or it can gamble on ND and be satisfied with WV should ND string it along.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
As I've written 100 times before, Louisville is a decent #12 and there isn't a convincing #11 to get expansion in gear.
TCU was the B12 on tilt and under media contract pressure.

Look for the B12 to kick the ACC tires once again and see if anything shakes loose. I don't see how. For FSU or V Tech or Clemson the path to championship is much easier in the ACC and the ACC stuck by some of these teams (Clemson) through some lean years earning some loyalty.

Burning bridges and putting their fate in the hands of Deloss Dodds and Texas? That should be a fireable offense

If the Red Dwarf hired a decent AD things woud be different Or BYU. Or if UCF/USF turn the corner into solid Div I material. Maybe if ESPN puts on their black hat and sends Nelson to make an offer for Rutgers for no other reason than to destroy the BE once and for all.

Reaction Score
As I've written 100 times before, Louisville is a decent #12 and there isn't a convincing #11 to get expansion in gear.

Look for the B12 to kick the ACC tires once again and see if anything shakes loose. I don't see how. For FSU or V Tech or Clemson the path to championship is much easier in the ACC and the ACC stuck by some of these teams (Clemson) through some lean years earning some loyalty.

Burning bridges and putting their fate in the hands of Deloss Dodds and Texas? That should be a fireable offense

If the Red Dwarf hired a decent AD things woud be different Or BYU. Or if UCF/USF turn the corner into solid Div I material. Maybe if ESPN puts on their black hat and sends Nelson to make an offer for Rutgers for no other reason than to destroy the BE once and for all.

A team would have to be insane to leave the ACC for B12.

I see the reverse. WV to the ACC eventually rather than ACC to B12.

Reaction Score

regardless of what notre dame "says", i don't think the acc will add uconn/rutgers unless notre dame has committed to another conference. as long as ND is independent, the acc will sit tight.

Reaction Score
I'd rather be in a same conference as UMass than BC. They are our historical rival. Together, we can screw BC over.

Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter what ND is prepared to do if the league ceases to exist.

No other conference is letting them in without football, so to say what ND wants or needs becomes irrelevant when the BE ceases to exist.

They could stay with the Catholics. Hell, they could go to the A-10. They are not being forced into giving up FB independence.
If this were something that ND was actually concerned about, they would've joined the BE in FB.

Reaction Score
They could stay with the Catholics. Hell, they could go to the A-10. They are not being forced into giving up FB independence.
If this were something that ND was actually concerned about, they would've joined the BE in FB.

They elected to join the B10, before an alumni mutiny in a French chalet put a stop to it.

Reaction Score
They elected to join the B10, before an alumni mutiny in a French chalet put a stop to it.

And that is the point that everyone has to remember. The Administration came to the conclusion that they would be better off in a conference at a time when it was much less important than it is today. Do I know if the Administration is willing to take on the alumni and act in the manner they think is in the best long-term interests of the University? No, I don't, but those who are certain it won't happen shouldn't be.

And, as I've said before, because of the alumni view when it happens it will be announced without a lot of prior trial balloons being leaked.

Reaction Score

when was this? is there more of a backstory to this somewhere?

Reaction Score
when was this? is there more of a backstory to this somewhere?

About a decade ago. No backstory. ND's bags were packed, the alumni mutineed. High level trustees and alumni met in a French chalet. The President, faculty, athletic department and the vast majority of the board were overruled by alumni.

I keep emphasizing this when people point out all the incongruencies between academics and sports, always citing the cash that's rolling in. That's not what has presidents scared. It's the alumni. The people on this board hold more power collectively than ESPN, the boards of trustees, the politicians and the administration.

Reaction Score

Disagree. If UConn or Rutgers are so valuable and sought after, the ACC can add them right now. They haven't, which suggests they don't really care that much about either school. The idea that "losing" either school when the ACC has shown zero interest in adding either sounds ridiculous

Reaction Score

BYU makes the most sense. But as somewhat seen by the Big East negotiations, BYU marches to the beat of their own drum. Not sure you can easily fold them into the Big 12.

Reaction Score
"I like 10 [teams] but if the vote is to add some I'm fine with it. It's not the end of the world for me," Dodds said. "I like the idea of not playing a championship game. I like the idea of playing everybody. I like the idea of splitting the TV money 10 ways. If I can be convinced or outvoted, that's the way to be [12 teams], it's not that big a deal."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...d-big-12-will-be-a-toptier-cash-generator/rss

We know that Louisville will be #11. The big question is, who will be #12? Rutgers, Cincy, USF, Tulane?

If/when the Big East loses two more, does it stay at 8?

UConn,UCF,SMU,UH,BSU,SDSU, USF, Rutgers (Cincy, UofL leave)
But Navy comes in to make it 9. Still need 3 to get to a championship game.

After that? To get to 12 Memphis, ECU, Fresno State?

Basketball will take a huge hit. No more WVU, SU, Pitt, UofL, Cincy.

Nova allows Temple in exchange for an upgrade subsidized by the Big East?

Notre Dame's decision is expected to be made in January (hmmm...independence or no independence? I'll take independence for $100 Alex.)

Big 12 expands in the spring of 2012.

In any event, UConn still shopping in aisle 15 looking for the K-Y. Marinatto over in the frozen pizza section. Only saving grace is Rutgers will be at the checkout line but its purchase of hair products are going to be foiled by "card declined" and a billfold devoid of green. Ahhh....exciting times ahead.
It may be a case of things having to get worse before they get better.Louisville and Rutgers to the Big 12 would shake up the BE to the point where ND would have to revauluate their position. The fact is that ND's football program is no longer elite with no prospects of being a top 10 team in the near future may force their hand. The truth is that no football school has any real committment to the BE and we continue to be the conference the majors will raid to fill out their conference. ND can't surive as an independant any longer, at least that much is clear. The only question is whether or not the ND administration and alumni get it.
The natural move would be for ND to join the Big 10 but reports are that they prefer the ACC. I just don't think it is a given that if ND goes to the ACC that Uconn would follow especially with resistance from FSU, BCU and possibly others. We are in a very weak position and may have to double up on the K-Y.

Reaction Score
Outside of football the 2nd and third most important programs at Notre Dame are Mens Basketball and Womens Basketball so Rutgers has no chance of being asked. Mike Brey would want Connecticut and i don't know who the womens coach is but i'm sure they would too. If Notre Dame goes nobody will question who they chose. Plus even though Syracuse and Pitt are not full members yet Connecticut is a much better fit.

Reaction Score
Outside of football the 2nd and third most important programs at Notre Dame are Mens Basketball and Womens Basketball so Rutgers has no chance of being asked. Mike Brey would want Connecticut and i don't know who the womens coach is but i'm sure they would too. If Notre Dame goes nobody will question who they chose. Plus even though Syracuse and Pitt are not full members yet Connecticut is a much better fit.
Too good of a fit. So good that Uconn was not even asked to join another conference because if they joined they would immediately dominate the conference because it was so superior of a fit.

Seriously, if Uconn was so much better a choice than Pitt, Cuse and WVU, why is Uconn looking at rebuilding the BE rather than planning the transition to the ACC or some other conference? The only upside out of all of this is that Uconn looks better than the remaining BE teams in the next round of expansion by almost every measure that would matter to both the ACC and the B1G.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Too good of a fit. So good that Uconn was not even asked to join another conference because if they joined they would immediately dominate the conference because it was so superior of a fit.

Seriously, if Uconn was so much better a choice than Pitt, Cuse and WVU, why is Uconn looking at rebuilding the BE rather than planning the transition to the ACC or some other conference? The only upside out of all of this is that Uconn looks better than the remaining BE teams in the next round of expansion by almost every measure that would matter to both the ACC and the B1G.

I think it's obvious that we're at the top of the remaining list, along with Notre Dame. Geography does matter to every conference other than the NBE. So I think UConn and Rutgers are off the B12 radar screen. Cincy is probably not up to par. So after Louisville, I think the B12 will look closer to their current footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom