Delle Donne denied medical opt-out by WNBA | The Boneyard

Delle Donne denied medical opt-out by WNBA

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The typical long term effects of Lyme disease include body aches, fatigue and sometimes a mental fog of sorts. The fatigue would concern me most relative to the coronavirus.

I am not sure if there is an appeal process for the W or not. In MLB, players can opt out if they have an approved medical condition and receive their pay. They can also opt out without an approved condition and without being entitled to their pay. In that instance, the team can decide to pay the players if they choose to.

The other day I noted that 6 time all star catcher Buster Posey opted out after he and his wife adopted twin baby girls. I don’t know if SF will be paying him or not.

Reaction Score
So EDD wants to claim a medical exemption that will allow her to get paid while sitting out the WNBA season? I don't think that's unreasonable. Of course, the WNBA is denying this because Lyme disease isn't on their list of, for lack of a better word, excused medical conditions. Right? I'm sure they could make an exception in this case given the covid pandemic and the affect on people with weakened immune systems..

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that the CDC doesn't have Lyme Disease on their list of complicating factors for Covid. That may have been the key to the WNBA declining EDD's request. There is no appeal process.

Even if Lyme Disease were on the CDC’s list, can it be shown that Delle Donne currently has Lyme Disease? Conventional medicine doesn’t recognize it as a disease that you have forever, like HIV.

Reaction Score
The typical long term effects of Lyme disease include body aches, fatigue and sometimes a mental fog of sorts. The fatigue would concern me most relative to the coronavirus.

I am not sure if there is an appeal process for the W or not. In MLB, players can opt out if they have an approved medical condition and receive their pay. They can also opt out without an approved condition and without being entitled to their pay. In that instance, the team can decide to pay the players if they choose to.

The other day I noted that 6 time all star catcher Buster Posey opted out after he and his wife adopted twin baby girls. I don’t know if SF will be paying him or not.
The big difference being that MLB can actually afford to pay their players, while the WNBA is barely staying afloat as a league.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I hope that she wins out, her health is more important then playing basketball. I'm through watching any professional sports due to it's going from sports entertainment to more of political posturing and money grabbing. The only sports I watch is college and it looks like that won't be happening this fall.

Reaction Score
If Maya and Rene can quit playing WNBA this year. Why EDD cannot just announce she is not playing?

Bad move by the WNBA. She's the league's biggest star. Management should have shown more kindness, and erred on the side of protecting the health of a player, rather than appearing as ogres and trying to force a player into a potentially deadly situation.

Really bad PR.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Even if Lyme Disease were on the CDC’s list, can it be shown that Delle Donne currently has Lyme Disease? Conventional medicine doesn’t recognize it as a disease that you have forever, like HIV.
I believe the insurance industry is the cause of many multi symptom diseases not being recognized by "conventional " medicine. Insurance coding forces doctors into more narrowly defined symptoms issues, and away from a broad based evaluation of underlying causes. There was a discussion on NPR yesterday about MCS, which is an environmental driven set of illnesses. This insurance industry focus on a symptom treatment as opposed to the overall disease was broadly touched upon. Lyme disease is one of those type of sicknesses. I have no answers as I am not a professional, but it is recognized as part of a larger medical system failure. There is a tendency to concentrate on whether a problem is biologically rooted or psychologically rooted, when some issues can be both and additive.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Bad move by the WNBA. She's the league's biggest star. Management should have shown more kindness, and erred on the side of protecting the health of a player, rather than appearing as ogres and trying to force a player into a potentially deadly situation.

Really bad PR.

The WNBA set up a panel of physicians to make these decisions. The panel has rendered its decision. Are you suggesting the President of the WNBA should overrule the panel's decision for the sake of PR? If so, why establish the panel in the first place?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe semantics are involved here for EDD. She was not your typical case caught early and eradicated with antibiotics. She went untreated for quite some time, allowing the bug to saturate her body and forcing her to a program of IV antibiotics which themselves beat you up. The literature states 15-20% of all cases produce long term sympthoms meaning up to a year or so. Cases like EDD's are the least understood, behaving like lupus in attacking major systems.

Reaction Score
Maybe semantics are involved here for EDD. She was not your typical case caught early and eradicated with antibiotics. She went untreated for quite some time, allowing the bug to saturate her body and forcing her to a program of IV antibiotics which themselves beat you up. The literature states 15-20% of all cases produce long term sympthoms meaning up to a year or so. Cases like EDD's are the least understood, behaving like lupus in attacking major systems.
She’s been a top level player ever since she joined the Mystics, so it’s hard to say that Lyme disease in 2008 caused her long term damage that now makes her more vulnerable to coronavirus than anybody else. But I guess everybody is an expert on this issue except this panel of doctors.

Speaking of Lupus, Isabelle Harrison reportedly has Lupus, but she hasn’t tried to opt out. Lauren Cox has Diabetes 1, but I haven’t heard any updates on her. It hasn’t been reported that she’s before the board trying to opt out. I don’t think any rookie wants to opt out.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom