Deleone | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Deleone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I honestly wonder what goes through Deleone's head sometimes. We are getting outmuscled up front all day, but let's keep running our undersized tailback between the tackles all game. I could live with draws and traps up the middle as a change of pace, but we were just running right at them. You would have thought that Deleone would have realized that it wasn't working.

We ran a handlful of bubble screens, and NC State had to make a great individual play to stop the one that didn't work. Why not make the defense cover sideline to sideline? There was no effort to try to isolate defenders in the passing game. McCoombs is a decent back, but he is not a pound it up the middle back, which is how he is being used.

The difference between Deleone and Ambrose and the old Edsall OC's is that I think Edsall's OC's realized when their offense wasn't working. I think Deleone thinks things are fine.

He ran those stupid plays thinking he could trick NC State by throwing in a play action which resulted in INTs. It was a terrible game plan. NC State knew when UConn was going to run a PA, hell half the people in my section knew we were gonna run a PA. DeLeone has no idea how to make an adjustment. PP needs to get involved or he'll be in trouble before he realizes it.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it was.......kind of sucks when you can't wait to get the defense back on the field hoping for someone to make a play.......41 against MW and 29 against USC, I'm thinking those "Cuse is awful" posts early last week may be a bit premature. At least their offense has some life, not run-wildcat run-pass, punt - repeat.........Deleone is awful and that defense deserves some better offense......I think the Huskies defense can play against anyone as they are fast and close on on plays relentlessly. Too bad they were really good against a team who racked up over 400 yds vs Tennessee......really really good!!

Maybe Don Brown will pull a Buddy Ryan and punch Deleone

Reaction Score
We have the same issue with MBB and WBB attendence falling each year. Is that JC and GA fault?. We have fickle bandwagon fans in CT.
Also the economy is a big factor and you can watch every game at home on your high def big screen TV.

Reaction Score
Back to Deleone for a moment. And I will prrefice this comment recognizing the man has forgotten more football than I will ever know. But, he strikes me as a a kind of mad scientist. We'll beat them because we'll scheme better rather than execution.

Yesterday we had both Micheal Smith and Scott McCummings taking snaps out of the wildcat and on at least one of those plays Whitmer lined up as a wide receiver. I mean WTF! None of it was successful in even the slightest way. Say what you want about Tom O'Brien, but he is a smart and effective coach and he has won a ton of football games controlling the line of scrimmage which is exactly what he did yesterday.

We had several critical drives cut short yesterday because we have zero, none, zilch of a power running game. I'm talking one, two yards here. Our OLine is no longer set-up or trained for that. We rely almost entirely on a scat back, who has yet to break an arm tackle, for almost everything we do on the ground.

So yes, I think Deleone could be a huge problem...........and that falls right on P.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we are stuck with Deleone don't believe it is possible to learn a new offense in te middle of the year hopefully he can turn the offense around.
Coach Deleone your moves are old. You are the thirty year ol going after high school girls. Retire gracefully

He can change it up a bit. I think we did that in Q4. More possession plays, 3 steps, under's, etc. And no Wildcat.

Reaction Score
Back to Deleone for a moment. And I will prrefice this comment recognizing the man has forgotten more football than I will ever know. But, he strikes me as a a kind of mad scientist. We'll beat them because we'll scheme better rather than execution.

Yesterday we had both Micheal Smith and Scott McCummings taking snaps out of the wildcat and on at least one of those plays Whitmer lined up as a wide receiver. I mean WTF! None of it was successful in even the slightest way. Say what you want about Tom O'Brien, but he is a smart and effective coach and he has won a ton of football games controlling the line of scrimmage which is exactly what he did yesterday.

We had several critical drives cut short yesterday because we have zero, none, zilch of a power running game. I'm talking one, two yards here. Our OLine is no longer set-up or trained for that. We rely almost entirely on a scat back, who has yet to break an arm tackle, for almost everything we do on the ground.

So yes, I think Deleone could be a huge problem...........and that falls right on P.
I agree with you here - not a fan of the wildcat and I am a Jets fan so I can't wait to see Tebow run it - sigh....

Reaction Score
Deleone seems far more interested in being clever than in coordinating an offense.

All those pre-snap shifts are the markers of valuable practice time that is not being used on fundamentals.

That is a bullseye! But of course I would have riuned it by lumping in the wildcat.

Reaction Score
That is a bullseye! But of course I would have riuned it by lumping in the wildcat.

I actually don't mind the shifts. Lets the qb know what the defense is running. But when your offense has 4,000,000 false starts, maybe it's time to rethink things. That is high school football common sense.

Reaction Score
I actually don't mind the shifts. Lets the qb know what the defense is running. But when your offense has 4,000,000 false starts, maybe it's time to rethink things. That is high school football common sense.

Sadly with all those shifts, QB still didn't know what the defense was running.

Reaction Score

Point taken but can we get some focus instead of trying to create the most complex offense in the league? Too much thinking and scheming and subbing (except for RB) is killing us. Recognize what guys do well, make it perfect then give Whit the ball and let it be his team so he can make quicker and better decisions. So we can stop staring at the sidelines and get to the line. Then you have something to build on. Offensive lines like tempo. We have none.

Reaction Score
HEY! Heres a genius idea! Let's run the defense out there on both sides of the ball and let trevardo sio and yawin take turns running it up the gut.

Funny u say that...I was so frustrated I was thinking, give Trevardo the ball and he gets that 1/2 yard. Absolutely the wrong thing to do. Maybe Deleone tries it next week.

Reaction Score
Great ideas getting so
E simplification then executing can only help us. Scrap the wildcat and introduce the shotgun and hurry up.

Reaction Score
A lot of decent comments:

WINS........I guess that helps fandome a bit

EXCITING OFFENCE........do we have more than three plays? Where is this playbook that is going to give opposing defensive coordinators headaches? That might help!

PRESEASON BUZZ......hard to get excited when almost on a yearly basis UConn predicted to finish anywhere from position 4-8. Maybe something to look foward to.

PRESEASON BUZZ.......low recruiting class rankings........and I'm not talking about stars.......but when a number of players don't get much interest from BCS schools.....let alone offers.......maybe that is why the offense plays like it does

COMPETITION......my good friend from W, Virginia used to say........He'd feel better after loosing 35-30 to Ohio State than witness a 62-0 shelacking of South Texas.......I think our Syracuse friends might be feeling a little better over their competitive efforts against USC and Northwestern .......than a win over Maine ......that may help with the buzz aspects

DISTRACTIONS........lets not kid ourselves about other areas of the country.......fans have just as many options as we do in the northeast.......they just don't use them as excuses for not supporting their teams.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom