Delany | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Delany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean, wouldn't any scheduling agreement basically just make UCONN a 'member in waiting'? It would obviously make them the next ones up, no?

Reaction Score
I'm hoping the B1G moves before some smart commisioner realizes the mistake they made bypassing the solid school and spread/keep the B1G's stature #1 in the NE/nation overall academically,athletically and financially.

Reaction Score
Except for the in-waiting part. I'm not interested in partial memberships, neither is the B1G.

I'll take a scheduling agreement to play two B1G teams in FB each year. Home/Road, doesn't matter. The league can pick which ones, I don't care. Second and fourth Saturdays in September at noon, just tell me where to be.
Yeah thats the part that bothered me too. At the least some guarantees(??) in a solid but short 3/5 yrs for AAU status? Can it be done that quickly?

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of partial memberships for any school in The B1G, unless its a truly special circumstance like the one established with JHU. The conference needed one additional team in order to start a Lacrosse League. Lacrosse happens to be the only sport that JHU fields at the 1A Level. Win Win.

Inviting Uconn as a partial/junior member after taking RU and UMD as full memebrs is condescending to Uconn IMO. UCONN is neither a lesser school, or lesser overall academic department than either. They are a victim of geographic disadvantage as it applies to distributing The BTN.

Ultimately however the real problem is identifying a viable and willing # 16 to pair w/UCONN w/o violating the GOR of the Big 12 or ACC. I honestly hope that UCONN does not have to wait until these media rights expire in order to end up in a P5 Conference. I'd be cool with the B1G taking UCONN and Mizzou, The Big 12 allowing WVU to leave their absurd island for the SEC, and The Big 12 wrapping up schools in the midwest and west that actually make sens in that conference.

Reaction Score
Nice that you realized that(condescending,some are) and as an eastcoast RU fan and public school fan I try not to be arrogant to any of our neighboring rivals but UConn has earned its place on merit at a P5 table.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of having UCONN be a 'member in waiting' and giving them some 4-5 Big Ten football games a year and full membership in everything else. Give you guys 5-10 years to put a plan together to make the Rent more suitable for conference play and then see if there's another school ready to join. Would help out men's and women's basketball tremendously while keeping UCONN relevant in football.

UCONN's not Notre Dame for football in terms of drawing eyeballs, but if the B1G wants to easily upgrade basketball and give enough incentive for a school to get up to standards with football facilities and a shot at getting into the AAU, maybe a 10+ year trial period would be a good bet.

Beats betting on the American imo.

Just about anything beats Dante Aresco's "Inferno" (Yes, Virgil, I'm serious!), but if the B1G embraced Rutroh and UMD as full members, UConn can accept no less - period.

pj

Reaction Score
I was on the aau website the other day trying to understand where we rank. Does anyone know the x number of metrics, where we rank within each category and what UConn is doing to address gaps? Do we need to hit every metric or is their a total view scoring model? How much does politics play?

There is no one metric. Generally speaking, AAU schools are either (a) leading recipients of federal research funding, or (b) smaller recipients of federal research funding who have a high quality of faculty (i.e. are well funded on a per-professor basis).

UConn is ranks at the bottom of the AAU in quantity of federal funding, matching schools like Kansas that got in about 1915 when the AAU was less picky. And on a per-professor basis UConn is weak, below just about everybody in the AAU.

Most funding is for biomedical research and UConn suffers here because the Medical Center in Farmington is rather far from campus and there is not much integration between the Medical Center and biology research at the main campus. If the two were physically co-located it would aid biomedical research immensely. Generally speaking the proximity of hospitals and biology departments is a key to large-scale funding, most of which is translational between biology lab and clinic.

Reaction Score
Just about anything beats Dante Aresco's "Inferno" (Yes, Virgil, I'm serious!), but if the B1G embraced Rutroh and UMD as full members, UConn can accept no less - period.

I understand that line of thinking but after a while desperation may kick in. If they offer such a deal in the next few years, I agree you walk away from it. Five years from now? I wouldn't be so sure.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is absolutely no chance that UConn gets invited to the Big Ten in any partial capacity - why do we even humor these off the wall ideas?

Reaction Score
Because conference expansion is now the most intriguing part of college sports.

Reaction Score
Curious as to how you quantified that over half of all Maryland don't like the Big Ten.

Another article for you Binge.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10563252/maryland-set-say-goodbye-acc

Lefty Driesel sounds thrilled.

From the article: "That's the general consensus among fans as the end draws near -- disappointment has replaced anger, acceptance has taken over for frustration."

This type of comment doesn't convince me that everyone is thrilled. If they are, good for them. They'll adjust much better.

Reaction Score
Another article for you Binge.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10563252/maryland-set-say-goodbye-acc

Lefty Driesel sounds thrilled.

From the article: "That's the general consensus among fans as the end draws near -- disappointment has replaced anger, acceptance has taken over for frustration."

This type of comment doesn't convince me that everyone is thrilled. If they are, good for them. They'll adjust much better.

I understand Gary Williams and Lefty Driesell's disappointment, especially with their coaching tenures spanning over two-thirds of Maryland's time in the ACC. I have to take exception with Mike Krzyzewski's reaction. I didn't see any comments from him when numerous rivalries ended as a result of the ACC expansions. Perhaps I missed them. And for him to say that Maryland didn't think their rivalry with Duke was important is either so disingenuous or he missed his own hypocrisy. I have to wonder how much of his $7.2 million salary he would sacrifice to keep the status quo. I also get Driesell's comments about athletics now being a big business. Krzyzewski's epitomizes the problem Driesell sees.

Reaction Score
I understand Gary Williams and Lefty Driesell's disappointment, especially with their coaching tenures spanning over two-thirds of Maryland's time in the ACC. I have to take exception with Mike Krzyzewski's reaction. I didn't see any comments from him when numerous rivalries ended as a result of the ACC expansions. Perhaps I missed them. And for him to say that Maryland didn't think their rivalry with Duke was important is either so disingenuous or he missed his own hypocrisy. I have to wonder how much of his $7.2 million salary he would sacrifice to keep the status quo. I also get Driesell's comments about athletics now being a big business. Krzyzewski's epitomizes the problem Driesell sees.

Any comment that MD and Duke did not have a basketball rivalry is misguided. Duke had all sorts of trouble going into MD and winning games (MD to cover the spread or straight up against Duke was one of the best bets I had going).

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
the Medical Center in Farmington is rather far from campus.
I'd say this is one of, if not the main reasons why I didn't go to UConn for graduate school. It really is an issue. Big reason we want the proposed "North Campus" to become a reality ASAP.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Plenty of time for a lunch meeting in the middle at Max Downtown.

For a real impressive treat, they could head over to Dwight Street in New Britain. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be accommodating after a Jäger Schnitzel, potato pancakes, and liter or two of Optimator.

Ticky Tocky, Ticky Tocky, Hoy, Hoy, Hoy!!!

Reaction Score
For a real impressive treat, they could head over to Dwight Street in New Britain. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be accommodating after a Jäger Schnitzel, potato pancakes, and liter or two of Optimator.

Ticky Tocky, Ticky Tocky, Hoy, Hoy, Hoy!!!

She should follow the same path as TCU did to get in the Big 12... Get the man drunk, share some stories, and sell us hard. Schmoozing at its finest.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
She should follow the same path as TCU did to get in the Big 12... Get the man drunk, share some stories, and sell us hard. Schmoozing at its finest.
Incriminating photos wouldn't hurt...I just made myself vurb a little again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom