Delany talks about southern New England cable subscribers | The Boneyard

Delany talks about southern New England cable subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Delany said the Big Ten has approximately 540,000 alumni between northern Virginia and southern New England.

Those are the people who will want the Big Ten Network in their homes. Those are the people who might buy season tickets to Maryland football or Rutgers football just to ensure they see their favorite team in person. Those are the people who help make Big Ten football games some of the most watched in the country, even if they have little to no bearing on the national title chase."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=65858&wjb

For those that missed the comments of the Big 10 commissioner last week.

Virginia to southern New England.

Eyes on the prize.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Delany said the Big Ten has approximately 540,000 alumni between northern Virginia and southern New England.

Those are the people who will want the Big Ten Network in their homes. Those are the people who might buy season tickets to Maryland football or Rutgers football just to ensure they see their favorite team in person. Those are the people who help make Big Ten football games some of the most watched in the country, even if they have little to no bearing on the national title chase."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=65858&wjb

For those that missed the comments of the Big 10 commissioner last week.

Virginia to southern New England.

Eyes on the prize.

Excellent catch! It's little slips like these and Aresco's press conferences that are really starting to sway me into thinking UConn might be B1G bound at some point.

Reaction Score
I just hope that were not headed toward a B1G disappointment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you read that carefully, isn't he really drawing a box with us and Virginia just outside of it?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you read that carefully, isn't he really drawing a box with us and Virginia just outside of it?

I was thinking that too, but wouldn't it have just been easier to say we have 540,000 alumni between New York City and Washington DC?

Northern Virginia and Southern New England is awfully specific.

Not trying to grasp for straws, but instead of naming the nation's biggest city and the nation's capital, he choses Norther Virginia and Southern England?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Charlottesville is in what historically (pre Civil War) was called Northern Virginia. Additionally, he said Southern New England (not Southern Ct). I'm pretty sure that the entirety of the state of Ct qualifies as southern New England.

Reaction Score
If it's true that the BoT met for UVA (for a B1G invite) and if UNC is so in love with Duke, NC St and the ACC then it would be strange for the B1G to jump to GA.

If UVA is in play who else makes sense to go with UVA?

Reaction Score
See, now some of you are just playing with people's emotions.

Reaction Score
If it's true that the BoT met for UVA (for a B1G invite) and if UNC is so in love with Duke, NC St and the ACC then it would be strange for the B1G to jump to GA.

If UVA is in play who else makes sense to go with UVA?

ZLS had a tweet in another thread on her saying the Big10 was putting out feelers to UVA, UNA, GA Tech, Kansas, Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
just confirms my belief the UConn is definitely on their radar. I thought it was a pipe dream for a while, but things like and Jay Paterno tweeting it should have been UConn instead of RU are too strange to be coincidence.

Reaction Score
I don't know why so many on the board seem to think there is no way we are going to the Big 10. It has always made the most sense for us and there are little signs everywhere.

Reaction Score
Looks like he said Rutgers gives them Southern New England. That's news to me.

Reaction Score
I don't know why so many on the board seem to think there is no way we are going to the Big 10. It has always made the most sense for us and there are little signs everywhere.

If Rutgers can got to the B1G then a monkey can fly out my ass, I can hit Powerball for $500,000,000 and we can get a B1G invite, all in one day.

I'll be at the zoo on Wednesday. Already bought my tickets...so...it's up to Jim to do the rest.

Reaction Score
The reference to southern New England (Conn, Mass, Rhode Island) is not a natural thing to say. As was said above, why not just say New York City, and leave out the tens of thiusands of BT alumni in those states?

Delaney is from New Jersey. To him, NY/NJ/CT is the tri-state area. Only when you're speaking of Connecticut away from the city do you hear southern New England. Everyone listening to a Ford advertisement knows that.

Reaction Score
I've lived in lower Fairfield County for a while now and I have yet to meet a single Rutgers fan or grad that lives here.
I did see a red Honda in Stamford that had a Rutgers logo on it. :p

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Only because they're not interested in inviting us. If it wasn't for that, we'd be lock.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Southern NE means CT, there is no other explanation unless he is speaking in those WKRP style circles media outlets used to draw on maps around their antennas.

Reaction Score
The reference to southern New England (Conn, Mass, Rhode Island) is not a natural thing to say. As was said above, why not just say New York City, and leave out the tens of thiusands of BT alumni in those states?

Delaney is from New Jersey. To him, NY/NJ/CT is the tri-state area. Only when you're speaking of Connecticut away from the city do you hear southern New England. Everyone listening to a Ford advertisement knows that.
Mass is not southern new england... Only CT and RI are referred to as southern new england.
Annoyingly, Mass refers to itself as new england. as if it were the only state in new england.

Reaction Score
Mass is not southern new england... Only CT and RI are referred to as southern new england.
Annoyingly, Mass refers to itself as new england. as if it were the only state in new england.

Mass is Southern New England. Three states north, three south.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Charlottesville is in what historically (pre Civil War) was called Northern Virginia. Additionally, he said Southern New England (not Southern Ct). I'm pretty sure that the entirety of the state of Ct qualifies as southern New England.

And RI

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's the combination of "northern Virginia" and "southern New England" that is most interesting. Charlottesville is the northern most university town in Virginia of note, home of UVA. Storrs is the southern most university town in New England of note, home of UConn. Either this is one helluva coincidence or a bit of a slip up from Delany. Or Delany is really with UVA and UConn fans. I'm going to go with the slip up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom