Delany on East Coast pre-expansion push: espn | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Delany on East Coast pre-expansion push: espn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There have been lots of changes recently as opposed to the decisions made long ago. How is the ACC now made up of "like-minded schools of similar size and focus?" BC, SU and Louisville are similar to UVA and UNC? The ACC is all over the map.

BC and SU are similar to UNC and UVA in that both are respected academic institutions, and, are similarly sized, enrollement wise.

I think we've established that Louisville isn't similar. UL was a compromise choice, taken to placate FSU, GT, CU, and, VPI.

The ACC have always been a mixture of public and private universities. Yeah, its probably tilited too much towards small private schools now, but, those that are here do fit the league's normal profile.

Compare that to the B1G which has a very clear plan, large state research flagship universities in unique markets. Each conference is now hell-bent on penetrating markets. The ACC with 4 schools lumped together in close proximity doesn't help that cause, unless Wake and NC State get the boot to allow a larger, unique market in.

The B1G is for sure in an enviable position, and, they have the luxury to do things that way. That said, I am pretty happy where the ACC is now. I wish UConn was here to enjoy it, too.

You keep pointing towards the four NC schools in the ACC as something that has held, or will hold, the league back. It hasn't. Do you really believe that Michigan State and Michigan would boot a combo of CMU, WMU, or, EMU out of the B1G NOW, had they been in a league with them for close to a century? If you say yes, I respectfully disagree.

Yeah, NC is not California, population-wise, and, the state probably is oversaturated in the ACC. But, these four schools have a long history together, and, neither UNC nor NCSU are going to walk away and leave Duke and Wake to fend for themselves, when all four can prosper and thrive in the current environment. And, absent the league imploding, I do not ever see it happening. Nor, do I want it to.

Reaction Score
No offense, but this shows a fundamental lack of understanding regarding PSU. Where do think our students come from? They certainly don't all come from Centre County. Trust me The PSU Base is not Midwest leaning in any way shape or form. The school is in the middle of the state because its founders wanted it centrally located. The majority of students hail from Philly, Pitt, Harrisburg, SWB, and yes NY and NJ. There is nothing wrong with the Midwest. The majority of B1G Fans are good people who are passionate about their schools. The majority of PSU Alums however relate more strongly to the East Coast.
Lldandy,I know Pennsy as my mom is from Tunkhannock,Wyoming county and I did'nt intend to insult you or anybody but the replier as i misread his post as a new poster to be an outsider but realized i was mistaken before my LT adapter blew and intended to clear it up before he replied in an arrogant way so take it for what its worth! I know as a lifetime NEasterner just where the majority of the students come from at PSU and NJ/NY/Md is a large portion of the students but everyone know's(even the ex-Gov) that many call everything outside of Philly/Pitt Pennsatucky or the equivalent. The university is maybe the MOST respected by most of us easterner's as NJ is the home of many 30s/40s expatriate's from the post depression recession....my family is just 1 example! So please don't take it wrong as I respect all decent posters here(96%)!! Also i feel more comfortable and kinship with the midwesterners than the "old boy southerner network" type prevalent in DEEP ACC country! I think most RU/UConn fans think similarly(truthfully even Cuse fans i'd imagine?IMO ).

Reaction Score
Lldandy,I know Pennsy as my mom is from Tunkhannock,Wyoming county and I did'nt intend to insult you or anybody but the replier as i misread his post as a new poster to be an outsider but realized i was mistaken before my LT adapter blew and intended to clear it up before he replied in an arrogant way so take it for what its worth! I know as a lifetime NEasterner just where the majority of the students come from at PSU and NJ/NY/Md is a large portion of the students but everyone know's(even the ex-Gov) that many call everything outside of Philly/Pitt Pennsatucky or the equivalent. The university is maybe the MOST respected by most of us easterner's as NJ is the home of many 30s/40s expatriate's from the post depression recession....my family is just 1 example! So please don't take it wrong as I respect all decent posters here(96%)!! Also i feel more comfortable and kinship with the midwesterners than the "old boy southerner network" type prevalent in DEEP ACC country! I think most RU/UConn fans think similarly(truthfully even Cuse fans i'd imagine?IMO ).

You didn't insult me, just wanted to clear up the ridiculous notion held by some that because State College is a rural area, most Penn State students come from similar places. Some certainly do, as much of the state is Small Town, USA type. However a large percentage of students come from cities and surrounding communities. That said if you have not visited State College it is a beautiful town and a great time can be had by visiting fans. You'll get some drunken razzing from the occasional college kid, but most fans are welcoming and will invite you win or lose to partake in their tailgates. As for Tunkhannock LOL. I grew up less than a half an hour from your mom.

Reaction Score
PSU is not an example I'd use to highlight my NE urban "mindset" as its not exactly an example of Pittsburgh or Philly?I thought of cleaning up my misplaced reply until I read ur superior reply and wingnut u's followup! Incoherent? U understood it!
Uhhhh, I was using my Buffalo NY roots to describe a lingering NY/Mid-Atlantic mindset I feel I have. Not "NE urban." Where did I say anything about a "NE urban mindset"?? I don't read those word anywhere in my post.

I was noting that my Father attended PSU, along with the fact that I attended Purdue, to highlight the B1G influence throughout my life.

Damn dude, you dumb.

Reaction Score
What happened to that nitwit CF? I guess having him on ignore worked miracles! Man is he arrogant and uninformed even for a smalltown type ...where do we find some of this "Ma's basement" noise here in NYC/NJ metro? No offense to the great cities of Buffalo and Niagara Fall's of which i go by on my way to Toronto but he "ain't got no class" as we say around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom