Delaire to Stanford and 2018 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Delaire to Stanford and 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

If they didn't lower their standards for athletes they would lose every game by 300 points.

That's not to say that their standards for athletes aren't higher than most D1 schools.
#ChiefConfirmed

Reaction Score
I disagree. Achiuwa has more tools to affect the game in areas other than offense. He'll be a better rebounder, defender, slasher than Delaire out the gate. If he ca become more consistent with his jump shot(it isnt broke) then he'll be much better

Agree to disagree, but we've seen a million raw athletes take longer to adapt than skilled but maybe slightly less athletic big guys.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This isn’t even close to a miss. We didn’t have a scholarship
IF he wanted to come here for 2018, they would have found a space for him
If it helps some people to say that- fine

Next player please.......................

Reaction Score
I like this kid, and I'm sure I'll be wrong about this, but I think he'll be better right out of the gate than Achiuwa (whose ceiling is admittedly way higher). He might not be a freak athlete but he's very skilled.
Achiuwa's gonna be a better NBA player but I wouldn't be shocked if Delaire was a better college player – the type of guy who has a strong sophomore year and then blows up as a junior averaging like 20/8/2

C

Chief00

He cares just as much about his education as he does about basketball. Can’t fault him for picking Stanford. I’d probably do the same.

I’ll always root for a CT kid. Best of luck Jaiden!

That’s a great attitude for a walk-on or an Ivy League guy; otherwise I like the basketball focused guys, who do pretty good in school.

C

Chief00

Next player please........

Of course, you are correct and that was part of what I was referring to about 2018. My information was correct on the reclass but Stanford won out.
Unfortunately, he took another route. Chief wishes him the best,

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
If they didn't lower their standards for athletes they would lose every game by 300 points.

That's not to say that their standards for athletes aren't higher than most D1 schools.
It's one thing to be admitted, and another thing to attend classes and maintain an acceptable GPA. Stanford doesn't have UNC classes or tutors. Chief00 can say whatever, but I collaborate with researchers there and they confirm that their students and athletes are held to the same high standard.

Reaction Score
Stanford's '18 class is now the 20th best in the nation and all 5 kids are from New England schools. Go figure.

Reaction Score

Next player please........

This is not correct. The staff told Jaiden they could not take him for 2018. I think he was Virginia, Duke, or Stanford bound regardless.

Reaction Score
Something here happened late.... I have trouble thinking we woulda signed Yakwe when DH took the job if Delaire was clear he wanted to declare 2018. Gut feeling no evidence w/ that statement

Reaction Score
Something here happened late.... I have trouble thinking we woulda signed Yakwe when Dan Hurley took the job if Delaire was clear he wanted to declare 2018. Gut feeling no evidence w/ that statement

The decision to go 2018 happened late.

Yakwe and Delaire are completely different players, and we needed bodies at Yakwes position. No connection at all

Reaction Score
The decision to go 2018 happened late.

Yakwe and Delaire are completely different players, and we needed bodies at Yakwes position. No connection at all

Do you think we sign the same 3 guys if we knew for a fact Delaire wanted to reclassify to 2018?

Reaction Score
Do you think we sign the same 3 guys if we knew for a fact Delaire wanted to reclassify to 2018?

No. But we didnt know that at the time. JAIDEN didn't know that at the time. Not really a relevant discussion.

I think the 2018 moves we made were the best one's possible given the circumstances.

C

Chief00

It's one thing to be admitted, and another thing to attend classes and maintain an acceptable GPA. Stanford doesn't have UNC classes or tutors. Chief00 can say whatever, but I collaborate with researchers there and they confirm that their students and athletes are held to the same high standard.
I did not put down Stanford. Quite frankly, Chief has a high regard for the school.

C

Chief00

From what I have seen this summer, Hurley likes the guys who have some junkyard dog in them. Casual Fans, please don’t take offense to that, it’s a compliment.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Achiuwa's gonna be a better NBA player but I wouldn't be shocked if Delaire was a better college player – the type of guy who has a strong sophomore year and then blows up as a junior averaging like 20/8/2
Delaire and Achiuwa just went head to head guarding each other the entire game and Achiuwa completely dominated him. It wasn’t even close. Achiuwa is the better player right now and has a higher ceiling and will be the better college player.

Reaction Score
I like this kid, and I'm sure I'll be wrong about this, but I think he'll be better right out of the gate than Achiuwa (whose ceiling is admittedly way higher). He might not be a freak athlete but he's very skilled.
He could possibly turn into Dwight Powell or he will work at Goldman Sachs.

Reaction Score
You should read Malcom Gladwell's book on this matter. Your statement is not totally wrong only because it is vague. Sure, some of their recruited athletes are exceptional applicants and students. But I can guarantee that your collaborators don't work with every athlete, or even the majority of athletes. While some athletes are in the top half of their incoming class, most are in the bottom quarter and many are bottom 10 percent. Stanford's athletes are probably better students than Duke's athletes or ND's athletes and definitely better than UNC's or Virginia's or Michigan's but they aren't, as a whole, as good as Stanford's other students.

Reaction Score
Why are people having stupid discussions about Stanford's academic requirements regarding student athletes? Of course, they lower the bar for football and basketball players because they wouldn't meet the requirements that non-athletes have to meet in order to attend Stanford.

Obviously they would like a good player to be a good student as well, who wouldn't.

Delaire is a good player and a good get for Stanford. However, he will not be missed at all if we land Achiuwa.

Reaction Score
No. But we didnt know that at the time. JAIDEN didn't know that at the time. Not really a relevant discussion.

I think the 2018 moves we made were the best one's possible given the circumstances.

Don’t disagree, question was simply from curiosity.

Didn’t know if there was rumblings about this prior & the staff took the 3 guys they had in hand vs waiting on a decision (something many ripped Ollie for) or if this whole reclassify decision came out of the blue & rather quickly. Thanks for the info

Reaction Score
Why are people having stupid discussions about Stanford's academic requirements regarding student athletes? Of course, they lower the bar for football and basketball players because they wouldn't meet the requirements that non-athletes have to meet in order to attend Stanford.

Obviously they would like a good player to be a good student as well, who wouldn't.

Delaire is a good player and a good get for Stanford. However, he will not be missed at all if we land Achiuwa.

Stamford has a lower acceptance rate then brown yale and Harvard. (Not sure if that is true but one of the kids 3 houses down the st just got in to stamford last spring and the mom told me that as fact 327x)

Reaction Score
Stamford has a lower acceptance rate then brown yale and Harvard. (Not sure if that is true but one of the kids 3 houses down the st just got in to stamford last spring and the mom told me that as fact 327x)
I didn't realize it was so hard to get into the UConn Stamford branch. Wow, that's crazy. :)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I hate those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44