Deja vu - Ashlynn and Paige (HM) receive BEast honors | The Boneyard

Deja vu - Ashlynn and Paige (HM) receive BEast honors

Reaction Score
That's 5 times for Ash!!

Paige averaged 26 ppg and shot 70% to make Honorable Mention. Tough standards!

Can't fault them for giving POTW to Olsen: Olsen averaged 33.0 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals, particularly with their upset over Marquette.

Paige will win Player of the year at the end of season. Best player on the best team.

Reaction Score
So are folks saying that Paige will be on the honor roll every week, never win the actual weekly award because she has a team around her, and then win POY at the end? Seems weird. Her efficiency alone should get her the weekly award regularly. I really can't stand giving awards for just volume shooting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So are folks saying that Paige will be on the honor roll every week, never win the actual weekly award because she has a team around her, and then win POY at the end? Seems weird. Her efficiency alone should get her the weekly award regularly. I really can't stand giving awards for just volume shooting.
I get your point - I do wonder how many POW awards Olsen has at this point. You are right - the best player on a mediocre team likely will have better weekly stats than the best player on a great team filled with a lot of other really good players.

I think it would be funny of Olsen wins a ton of the BE POW awards, and Paige only wins 1 or 2, but is the BE POY at the end of the season. I guess this is Olsen's 3rd BE POW award. Kudos to her and 'Nova for beating Marquette. That's an accomplishment!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Olsen will come back to earth after the game on 1/31. That is when UConn travels to Nova, where Nika and the crew shuts her down in another UConn double digit win.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Olsen will come back to earth after the game on 1/31. That is when UConn travels to Nova, when Nika and the crew shuts her down in another UConn double digit win.
Olsen actually gave Nika some problems last year. Of course it really helps when your running screen and rolls with BE POY Maddy Siegrist.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
These nuances are what drive voters (me, specifically) to distraction. The WBCA tried to do this a while back, with teams submitting candidates across the division, and I was like, "CAN we have an amazing scorer in a weak division win over a superb athlete in a strong division.... And if not, why even submit folks."

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Olson has taken 370 of her team's 1113 shots...that is 33.24 percent of all shots taken. She has also taken 26 percent of Villanova's three-point shots. She is shooting 43 percent from the floor and 29 percent from three-point.

Reaction Score
Its just another Paige snub. Paige would easily avg. over 33 points a game if she took more shots. Heck, she barely plays in the second half as UCONN continually decimates BE opponents. Its like a "ten run rule" for D1 basketball.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As good as Olsen has been, I think she comes back to earth when we play Nova. Between Nika and KK, she is going to have a lot of headaches.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Its just another Paige snub. Paige would easily avg. over 33 points a game if she took more shots. Heck, she barely plays in the second half as UCONN continually decimates BE opponents. Its like a "ten run rule" for D1 basketball.
I get your point but don't get too carried away on the hyperbole, Paige is averaging 28.5 min a game so that means she's playing a lot more than "barely" in the second half. Just like the BY player of the game poll, Paige could or should win it almost every game but yet the BYers are magnanimous in their choices much like the other other BE Coaches. I am not worried about the POY award for the BE as it has actually nothing to do with the "best player on the best team" but will be awarded to the "BEST PLAYER" which is without any doubt-Paige.

Reaction Score
As good as she has been her team has lost to 2 Ivy Leagues schools and to St John's and St, Joe's. POY candidates don't let that happen.

Reaction Score
Points per minute... Olsen .65 PPM... Bueckers .69 PPM
And I think there's "space" in Paige's game to go higher than that. Probably Olsen is at about max.

Reaction Score
I get your point - I do wonder how many POW awards Olsen has at this point. You are right - the best player on a mediocre team likely will have better weekly stats than the best player on a great team filled with a lot of other really good players.

I think it would be funny of Olsen wins a ton of the BE POW awards, and Paige only wins 1 or 2, but is the BE POY at the end of the season. I guess this is Olsen's 3rd BE POW award. Kudos to her and 'Nova for beating Marquette. That's an accomplishment!
Look at Diana, averaged 16.9 points over her career at UConn. Must have been a so so player.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn is coming into the player she is going to be for the next 4 tears,getting better and better each game. I don't expect her to put up 20 points in the next 4 or 5 games, but come March and April I do expect Ashlynn to score 20+. I am watching a star in the making and this team is blessed in the next 4 years with all of Geno's choices to play at Uconn. I will be 91 this summer and pray I am in good enough health to see it. IT WILL BE SPECTACULAR!!! Ashlynn has earned her FOW and her rebounds are higher, her FT 'a are picking up and her defense is steady. GO FRESHMEN!!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom