Defensive Rotations & Closeouts - Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Defensive Rotations & Closeouts - Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah

C

Chief00

Cobb,
1 - Correct, not his job just included in the play.
2 - Got beat off the dribble. How bad? I think it wasn't great. He shouldn't get matched up with someone who can dribble drive out beyond the 3pt line. Did good staying with the man all the way to the basket. What I take issue with is not jumping to contest the shot at the end. He doesn't leave the ground at all. He basically gave up, sad all shucks and let the guy have an easy layup. (DO later gets stuck in the same situation. Contest the shot all the way to the basket and causes miss)
3 - "He hedged and probably too far but once he did Jalen needed to get back to the 3 shooter on rotation. Not a very good job by either." Agree with you. But also when Jalen didn't rotate back. Cobb needed to hustle back to the shooter. instead he took two steps into the paint first. Not too worried this will get cleaned up moving forward.
4 - I think it's just ok D. allowed player to get to his side and had a hand up from the side. Not in front of the player. a better player would have just continued all the way around Cobb to finish at the rim instead of going off to the side with the hook shot.
5th - I don't see real nice D. Its good I think he could have done more. Combination of 2 and 4 above. Lets player get a half step ahead of him on his side. When he realized the shot was going up he had his arm up but faded back slightly instead of taking that last step forward to put his had in the guys face to contest. Yeah its a hook shot and you're not going to jump to block it but get your hand in his face.
6 - Nothing he could do really? The ball got caught over him from a good inbound pass. But then he leaned back instead of stepping up to contest the shot.

(2, 4 and 6 - I thought he could have contested better with hands up without fouling but he didn't fully commit to finishing the play)

Carlton

I think we all agree, freshman mistakes with a combination of good effort. I thought he gave up to much space on 3 and 4 and that in similar situations in my opinion DO was able to close out closer to effect the shot. Yes, it could just be a matter the opposing player made the shot against Carlton and just missed against DO.

Onuorah

1 - Similar to Carlton, guy was open just missed the shot.
2 - See #2 above from Cobb. Same situation. DO continues contest all the way to the basket to make it a harder shot and force the miss. Cobb stopped on the last step and gave up the easy layup.
3 - agree nice box out
4 - Again completes the play and contests right up to the basket. 100% effort
5 - agree, like carlton hand in face shooter missed
6 - Good help opposite - agree
7 - Hands straight up and he doesn't foul - agree
8 - Definitely a better closeout here after seeing the shooter hit two shows over Carlton
9 - "All over the place on this play, active and athletic for a big great to watch and shows he understands where the play is going. Smart kid" - Absolutely was right where he needed to be. Great play in crunch time.
10 - "Good D off the dribble" - I think it was very good. Same as difference between Cobb #2 and DO #2

I think Cobb 2, 4 and 6 versus DO 2, 4, 8, 9 and 10 are the areas where Cobb will need to improve. Or DO will earn more minutes and possibly the trust crunch time minutes to end the game if he's not in foul trouble.

Cobb has similar size right. So with similar effort, he should have the same effect on D. Or do we think DO more athletic and that gives him an edge on defense?

Dave is 2-3 inches taller.

Reaction Score
Dave is 2-3 inches taller.

I thought the point of this year's team is everyone other than our guards is 6'8" or 6'9". They're all interchangeable.

Both are listed at 6'9"on the official roster. In reality Cobb could be more exaggerated.

C

Chief00

I thought the point of this year's team is everyone other than our guards is 6'8" or 6'9". They're all interchangeable.

Both are listed at 6'9"on the official roster. In reality Cobb could be more exaggerated.
Dave is materially taller. I don’t pay attention to listed heights.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Good job. I agree the screener will be open if he rolls appropriately - giving the ball handler the passing angle.

Chief said ball handler.

Reaction Score
I'm glad I'm not the only person who could not easily identified who was in at the 5 during the game. That will come in time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom