Defensive Rotations & Closeouts - Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah | The Boneyard

Defensive Rotations & Closeouts - Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah

Reaction Score
@bigknight3 reached out to me to put this video together of the defensive rotations and closeouts from Cobb, Carlton and Onuorah just to highlight some of the things that need work on the defensive side of the ball.

From @bigknight3:

"Just think that everyone got excited by the things they haven't seen in so long like offensive competency in the post from Magic Cobb that they are completely overlooking the things we need from our post play like screens and effort on rotations, closeouts and shot contests that we get from DO.

Magic Cobb had a couple strong post moves and rebounds early but then didn't give 100% on defense in my opinion. DO maxed out on defensive effort and screens. He actually had a couple opportunities on to roll to the basket but needs to get on the same page with the ball handler. There were two missed passes that DO could have scored on.

Carlton was the Husky who gave up the two 3pters to the opposing team's big to put them up by 9 with 5:32 left in the game.

The team went on runs with when DO entered at 9:57 left and 5:32 left."

Note: the third title screen should be David Onuorah, not Josh Carlton

Reaction Score
Onourah has a really nice haircut. Looks like its from the jazz age or something.

This is also awesome analysis. Thanks!

Reaction Score
Cool video - thanks tcf.

I wonder if DO starts next game? Hope to see some improvement on defense over the course of the season for Josh and Eric.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
DO is going to be taking minutes from a deep front court. Built like a wall too.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
One particular play that stood out to me in the moment was when DO’s man took a long three - rather than just watching the shot, Onuorah sprinted into the paint and elevated over everybody else for the rebound.

He seems like a max effort guy that is fairly limited on the offensive end (I was frustrated by those two missed PnR plays even though Larrier’s passes may have been off). But I’ll be damned if that isn’t what we need for this team right now.

Reaction Score
damn, i was under the impression that it was cobb - not carlton - who gave up those two second-half threes.

like everyone else on the board, i'm really excited about what onuorah brought to the table in his first game! if he and cobb are both fighting for starter's minutes at the five, that can only be a good thing for uconn.

Reaction Score
Happy if everyone sees what I saw in DO. Cobb gave up some early shots that were only lightly contested. I think he was lucky those shots didn't fall or else he might have gotten all early hook.

I'm not against what Cobb brings on offense. For every post-up and drop-step move to score a tough basket inside pay attention to his effort on the defensive end.

DO was all effort all the time.

Reaction Score
DO is a grad transfer, so you would expect him to be further along. Cobb played JUCO. Carlton is a high school kid. Each seems on the proper trajectory for their experience level.

This would also lead to an expectation that Carlton would progress the most because he has the furthest to go. As long they all get minutes, they will provide good moments and foul protection for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Cool video - thanks tcf.

I wonder if DO starts next game? Hope to see some improvement on defense over the course of the season for Josh and Eric.
I think Cobb will keep starting so we can establish post scoring early and an inside/outside game, but Onourah impacts the game also in many ways, and will see as many minutes as Cobb does. I'm hoping the 5 rotation gives Carlton meaningful minutes also because he will continue to develop and contribute. He is going to be a good player.

Reaction Score
DO's ability to screen is something that has been sorely missing from years past.

The overall basketball IQ of this year's bigs is something that has been missing as well.

Generally speaking, it seems as though they have an idea of where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to do on the floor, which is a nice change.

Reaction Score
Onuorah's screens were excellent compared to the others. But, I'm not prepared to give him credit for closeouts and shot contests. He was as late as Carlton to many of them, and his guy missed.

That being said, Cobb and Carlton are a little lazy getting to their spot on doubles, and that has allowed layups.

Reaction Score
Onuorah's screens were excellent compared to the others. But, I'm not prepared to give him credit for closeouts and shot contests. He was as late as Carlton to many of them, and his guy missed.

That being said, Cobb and Carlton are a little lazy getting to their spot on doubles, and that has allowed layups.

I'm not sure if I'd call it "lazy" per se.

I think they've been slow and had some mental lapses.

Either way, not ideal.

But correctable.

Reaction Score
@bigknight3 reached out to me to put this video together of the defensive rotations and closeouts from Cobb, Carlton and Onuorah just to highlight some of the things that need work on the defensive side of the ball.

From @bigknight3:

"Just think that everyone got excited by the things they haven't seen in so long like offensive competency in the post from Magic Cobb that they are completely overlooking the things we need from our post play like screens and effort on rotations, closeouts and shot contests that we get from DO.

Magic Cobb had a couple strong post moves and rebounds early but then didn't give 100% on defense in my opinion. DO maxed out on defensive effort and screens. He actually had a couple opportunities on to roll to the basket but needs to get on the same page with the ball handler. There were two missed passes that DO could have scored on.

Carlton was the Husky who gave up the two 3pters to the opposing team's big to put them up by 9 with 5:32 left in the game.

This is a very cool post. Onuorah is clearly the best in my opinion. Decent size, mobile, strong, definitely moves well.....doesn't trip and fall every third play. Again, this is a very cool post. You get a completely different perspective of a player when you just look at their work on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
From what I seen on the Cobb part of the video play by play-
  • First play- in the video he was up top and it wasn't his man he ran down to help but yes he was late helping out. I say this was more on Larrier falling down and his guy had an open layup which Cobb altered.
  • Play 2- he got beat off the dribble by a 5 who could dribble and shoot from outside. He got no help either as Gilbert didn't want to foul.
  • Play 3- he switched on the ball screen and took the dribbler and Jalen seen this and didn't go after Cobbs man. Cobb took a longer route than necessary to get back to his guy who missed a three.
  • Play 4 - He played solid man D and forced a bad shot and grabbed the rebound, he was a second or two slow to react to the miss but banged and got the rebound.
  • Play 5- a taller big guy banged down low and shot a really nice jump hook. This is an instance where his height hurt him as well as the next play.
  • Play 6- Same guy just used his height and scored over Cobb. Cobb had he pushed back but hes a not a leaper.
If this is all his mistakes then I would say he was solid on D. He is not a shot blocker and all of our centers where beat off the dribble by there center. Also, all of our guys seem to be having trouble on when to switch and when not to on pick and roll. Onurah played more because he can block shots and rebound. He came in for Cobb when there taller backup center scored over Cobb twice. Taller centers will do this to Cobb

Reaction Score
I

From @bigknight3:

I'm going to start with the video on Cobb:

1st sequence - Not his job from the foul line to be there. Polley beat back door and Larrier low side opposite should have been off his man more and able to stop over. Cobb guarding guy on the FT line not his rotation.

2nd sequence - didn't give enough space from the FT line got beat off the dribble but not badly mind you.

3rd - He hedged and probably too far but once he did Jalen needed to get back to the 3 shooter on rotation. Not a very good job by either.

4th - Nice solid D and rebound

5th - Real nice D again bodying up taller guy makes a nice jump hook nothing he could do.

6th - inbounded over him to taller player and he caught keep the ball high and made the shot, defense was good nothing he could do.

He's not lightning but he gets it I like him a lot. Needs to improve a little but already better on the interior than what we've had, especially physically.

Reaction Score
From what I seen on the Cobb part of the video play by play-
  • First play- in the video he was up top and it wasn't his man he ran down to help but yes he was late helping out. I say this was more on Larrier falling down and his guy had an open layup which Cobb altered.
  • Play 2- he got beat off the dribble by a 5 who could dribble and shoot from outside. He got no help either as Gilbert didn't want to foul.
  • Play 3- he switched on the ball screen and took the dribbler and Jalen seen this and didn't go after Cobbs man. Cobb took a longer route than necessary to get back to his guy who missed a three.
  • Play 4 - He played solid man D and forced a bad shot and grabbed the rebound, he was a second or two slow to react to the miss but banged and got the rebound.
  • Play 5- a taller big guy banged down low and shot a really nice jump hook. This is an instance where his height hurt him as well as the next play.
  • Play 6- Same guy just used his height and scored over Cobb. Cobb had he pushed back but hes a not a leaper.
If this is all his mistakes then I would say he was solid on D. He is not a shot blocker and all of our centers where beat off the dribble by there center. Also, all of our guys seem to be having trouble on when to switch and when not to on pick and roll. Onurah played more because he can block shots and rebound. He came in for Cobb when there taller backup center scored over Cobb twice. Taller centers will do this to Cobb

Great minds huh?

Reaction Score

From @bigknight3:

Agree just enjoying a basketball player at 4/5 instead of an athlete who can’t catch or stay on his feet. All love to KF and AB

Reaction Score
...cont'd

Carlton

1 - Never should have left his man freshman decision
2 - Good defense hands straight up although he allowed himself to drift backwards under the hoop he will learn
3 - Not bad at all hand in the face, guys made a tough 3
4 - Again contested shot, we will see the same defense with Onuorah in which they both did the same thing but David's guys missed the 3's - only difference both were solid D for a 5 at the trey line.

Onuorah

1 - Good D hand in the face
2 - Got beat off dribble left but stayed in play and got the rebound nicely done, wouldn't ave happened last year
3 - Box out opposite shot nice
4 - Got back after steal altered shot, rebound active
5 - Like Carlton hand in the face but shooter missed nothing more you can ask
6 - Good help opposite
7 - Hands straight up and he doesn't foul
8 - hand in the face, altered off rebound shot active
9 - All over the place on this play, active and athletic for a big great to watch and shows he understands where the play is going. Smart kid
10 - Good D off the dribble

My breakdown is you can have your 2.5 blocks a game without any physicality and I'll take these guys playing solid D with the ability and hands to rebound. Defensively we've improved and while we miss the alley oop these guys can and will score the ball. We forgot Whaley who is very active defensively and has steals to show that already, will also impact certain games. Like these guys fun to watch and they will all grow as they play more.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Carlton (in regards to the 3S), his man was way quicker. It was a mismatch that Ollie thought he could live with, and he got hit hard by taking that risk.

I wasn’t expecting Carlton to come in and play good perimeter defense against a team’s leading scorer in the first couple weeks of his college career.

Glad to have Onuorah to rely on when teams are trying to pound it inside.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Carlton (in regards to the 3S), his man was way quicker. It was a mismatch that Ollie thought he could live with, and he got hit hard by taking that risk.

I wasn’t expecting Carlton to come in and play good perimeter defense against a team’s leading scorer in the first couple weeks of his college career.

Glad to have Onuorah to rely on when teams are trying to pound it inside.

Agree and to be even more fair Josh did a good job considering the only difference as I stated above was his guy made those shots David's didn't. They were both in similar proximities of their men and closed out fine got a hand in his face.

Reaction Score
...cont'd

Carlton

1 - Never should have left his man freshman decision
2 - Good defense hands straight up although he allowed himself to drift backwards under the hoop he will learn
3 - Not bad at all hand in the face, guys made a tough 3
4 - Again contested shot, we will see the same defense with Onuorah in which they both did the same thing but David's guys missed the 3's - only difference both were solid D for a 5 at the trey line.

Onuorah

1 - Good D hand in the face
2 - Got beat off dribble left but stayed in play and got the rebound nicely done, wouldn't ave happened last year
3 - Box out opposite shot nice
4 - Got back after steal altered shot, rebound active
5 - Like Carlton hand in the face but shooter missed nothing more you can ask
6 - Good help opposite
7 - Hands straight up and he doesn't foul
8 - hand in the face, altered off rebound shot active
9 - All over the place on this play, active and athletic for a big great to watch and shows he understands where the play is going. Smart kid
10 - Good D off the dribble

My breakdown is you can have your 2.5 blocks a game without any physicality and I'll take these guys playing solid D with the ability and hands to rebound. Defensively we've improved and while we miss the alley oop these guys can and will score the ball. We forgot Whaley who is very active defensively and has steals to show that already, will also impact certain games. Like these guys fun to watch and they will all grow as they play more.

Onuorah's #1 and 5 were not great closeouts. The guy just missed. Mechanically they were almost identical to Carlton's #3.

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan @Candyman34

The point of the video was to place any blame on a particular player. The clips just included any time one of our bigs was involved in defending a shot attempt. Doesn't mean they were to blame for the play.Just to look deeper at the work of the individual players to notice the differences and opportunities for improvement.

For example, the late 3 pointers that Carlton gave up. I too thought it was Cobb until I looked closer. When I realized it was Carlton, I adjusted my expectations. Yes, he's a young player with room for growth. He'll know better in the future to understand the gravity of the in-game situation. Can't give up those shots when we're trying to make a comeback.

Reaction Score
Cobb,
1 - Correct, not his job just included in the play.
2 - Got beat off the dribble. How bad? I think it wasn't great. He shouldn't get matched up with someone who can dribble drive out beyond the 3pt line. Did good staying with the man all the way to the basket. What I take issue with is not jumping to contest the shot at the end. He doesn't leave the ground at all. He basically gave up, sad all shucks and let the guy have an easy layup. (DO later gets stuck in the same situation. Contest the shot all the way to the basket and causes miss)
3 - "He hedged and probably too far but once he did Jalen needed to get back to the 3 shooter on rotation. Not a very good job by either." Agree with you. But also when Jalen didn't rotate back. Cobb needed to hustle back to the shooter. instead he took two steps into the paint first. Not too worried this will get cleaned up moving forward.
4 - I think it's just ok D. allowed player to get to his side and had a hand up from the side. Not in front of the player. a better player would have just continued all the way around Cobb to finish at the rim instead of going off to the side with the hook shot.
5th - I don't see real nice D. Its good I think he could have done more. Combination of 2 and 4 above. Lets player get a half step ahead of him on his side. When he realized the shot was going up he had his arm up but faded back slightly instead of taking that last step forward to put his had in the guys face to contest. Yeah its a hook shot and you're not going to jump to block it but get your hand in his face.
6 - Nothing he could do really? The ball got caught over him from a good inbound pass. But then he leaned back instead of stepping up to contest the shot.

(2, 4 and 6 - I thought he could have contested better with hands up without fouling but he didn't fully commit to finishing the play)

Carlton

I think we all agree, freshman mistakes with a combination of good effort. I thought he gave up to much space on 3 and 4 and that in similar situations in my opinion DO was able to close out closer to effect the shot. Yes, it could just be a matter the opposing player made the shot against Carlton and just missed against DO.

Onuorah

1 - Similar to Carlton, guy was open just missed the shot.
2 - See #2 above from Cobb. Same situation. DO continues contest all the way to the basket to make it a harder shot and force the miss. Cobb stopped on the last step and gave up the easy layup.
3 - agree nice box out
4 - Again completes the play and contests right up to the basket. 100% effort
5 - agree, like carlton hand in face shooter missed
6 - Good help opposite - agree
7 - Hands straight up and he doesn't foul - agree
8 - Definitely a better closeout here after seeing the shooter hit two shows over Carlton
9 - "All over the place on this play, active and athletic for a big great to watch and shows he understands where the play is going. Smart kid" - Absolutely was right where he needed to be. Great play in crunch time.
10 - "Good D off the dribble" - I think it was very good. Same as difference between Cobb #2 and DO #2

I think Cobb 2, 4 and 6 versus DO 2, 4, 8, 9 and 10 are the areas where Cobb will need to improve. Or DO will earn more minutes and possibly the trust crunch time minutes to end the game if he's not in foul trouble.

Cobb has similar size right. So with similar effort, he should have the same effect on D. Or do we think DO more athletic and that gives him an edge on defense?

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We are now viewing tape on the Boneyard. It doesn't get any better than this. Thanks all for the insights and tcf15 for putting it together. Looking forward to the next game. This team is pretty young and inexperienced overall but they have heart and are a lot of fun to watch grow.

C

Chief00

From @bigknight3:

Good job. I agree the screener will be open if he rolls appropriately - giving the ball handler the passing angle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom