Defense lagging | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Defense lagging

Reaction Score
Dorka and Amari are proven “rim protectors.” I think we got this end of things covered. We also have plenty of muscle in Aaliyah Ayanna Aubrey. The talent is there. It’s just a matter of playing to their potential.
You lost me when you put Amari and proven in the same sentence

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1) Unlike football, we can’t send one set of 5 out for offense and a different 5 out for defense.
We know that some can be prolific scorers and shooters and some can be lockdown defenders and shot blockers.
Guess Geno & company will have to explain to everyone that they will just have to do both.
At the risk of being repetitive:
Every point we keep the opposition from scoring is as good as one we score ourselves.
As much fun as it would be to see Ayanna dunk, I would prefer she keep quick guards from getting to the rim
If Nika can continue to be the hellhound on “D”, and healthy Azzi & Caroline & Lou2 can put up some extra shots that go in, we’ll be ok.
Let’s see if we can keep Kutztown out of the paint and then worry about the rest when the time comes.
I think we STILL have enough talent to get the job done provided we don’t get out worked.
Much as we want the 38 point romps, let’s see what some of the rookies do when it counts.
1 game at a time, 1 play at a time. Make the play that’s in front of you. Like Sue Bird told her teammates coming out of a time-out as they went back on the floor, “when the ball comes your way, make a play.”

Reaction Score
You lost me when you put Amari and proven in the same sentence
Is this really that hard to grasp? I was speaking in the hopeful mode with the exuberance that wishes typically require in order to make them come true. Tinkerbell, anyone? Obviously, I realize Amari hasn't proven anything... yet.

Reaction Score
Not sure if I completely buy Geno’s comment. Do we really believe that UConn “stinks” defensively, or is it more likely that the Huskies are a work in progress as the team adjusts to playing without Liv, Christyn, Evina & Paige?
You are right---that is Geno being Geno! Then too, I believe this close to season beginning, few coaches are ever sure their team is READY. He may tell them they STINK, to get more from them. But inwardly he may have another view. History seems to say--let Geno be Geno and take a pound of salt with his words as the season begins.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was referring to the 2016-2017 preseason comments that may have been made by Geno and how they may have been related to the comments in the OP article.
I don't recall Geno expressing any specific concerns with defense prior to the start of the 2016-17 season. The main concern had to do with experience given that most big situations in the prior 4 years was handled expertly by one of the big three. Defense was also not a major one for that team because it had two players ( Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams) that would win the National Defense player of the year award in consecutive years starting that season. This article contains many of Geno thoughts prior to that season include the concern with experience.

Reaction Score
In a video earlier this year that featured Ayanna, it was said that she can defend 1-5. That may be so at the high school level, but I doubt it's the case at THIS level. If she can, great. I'd settle for 3-5. If she can become a "shut-down" defender, even better. At 6'2", she's long and if she's quick enough, could be a nightmare for opponents. I would like to she her develop into a taller version of 5'11" Gabby Williams. Her stock would shoot through the roof if that happens. Every team should have one. IF she and Aubrey could assume that role, great!!! If you can handcuff your opponent's best scorer, that's half the battle right there. :cool:
Only 3 in memory did I believe could "effectively" defend 1 thru 5, Stokes, Dolson (not including Grinder) and Stewie. How would they have done against Boston ????
I'd be happy if Ayanna can slow down most Centers exclusive of Boston because I think Boston requires a Committee

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Only 3 in memory did I believe could "effectively" defend 1 thru 5, Stokes, Dolson (not including Grinder) and Stewie. How would they have done against Boston ????
I'd be happy if Ayanna can slow down most Centers exclusive of Boston because I think Boston requires a Committee
Gabby

Reaction Score
Only 3 in memory did I believe could "effectively" defend 1 thru 5, Stokes, Dolson (not including Grinder) and Stewie. How would they have done against Boston ?
They would have eaten her lunch. Dolson and Stokes would have outmuscled her, and Stewie would have scored over her, under her, around her all day long.

Reaction Score
Not sure it is worth the energy at this time in the season to:
-Try to interpret what snippits of Geno's comments means. I have been a member of the Boneyard for many years and rarely does anyone have any clue this early.
-Try to project how the defense will perform. With so many new players and injuries, Huskies likely will have a new system versus the past few years when we had a 6"5" shot blocker holding down the middle and seniors on the wings.

Reaction Score
Are you saying Steph Dolson and Kia Stokes could defend PG's , SG's , SF's , PF 's & Centers ? Stewie yes , them 2 Hell no.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The 4 most versatile defenders for UCONN that were truly capable of guarding positions 1-5 were:
Day 1 right through the 2013 Championship game of her senior year Kelly Faris
Junior and senior versions of Gabby Williams
Senior and 5th year Kalana Greene
Freshman Morgan Tuck

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member