Defense lagging | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Defense lagging

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thanks for the chuckle. Proven where? In Jr. High?
If this is not Rim Protection, I don't know what is. Also seems to be pretty good in Ball Protection.

1667150200979.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Dorka had 17 blocks on the season last year. That was the same amount as Azzi Fudd and nobody confuses Azzi with being a rim protector. If UCONN is going to have a rim protector this season my bet would be on Patterson.
Great minds think alike. I wrote a similar comment on Ayanna BEFORE reading yours. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
My fervent wish for Ayanna, too! I don't think she's got near the quickness of Gabby, who was especially fleet of foot. But if she can come close, ad 6'2", that would be awesome!
Doggie, we're drinking out of the same pitcher of beer. :cool:

Reaction Score
Amari hasn’t blocked many shots in college, it’s true. But Dorka has, though not quite at Liv’s rate. If you doubt it, watch the second half of the Marquette game in February. You know who else blocks shots really well? Caroline.
Caroline had at least 3 blocked shots in one of the Creighton games. Very Nice, the Bluejays
could not drive to the bucket with her guarding. Watch the " Caroline highlights" and
you see Caroline in action, impressive. ( I forget what game it was , but I think it was
the second UCONN/ Creighton game, the home game for UCONN).

Reaction Score
GENO is the master at deflecting whatever he thinks is a problem to the public with his team. He is also the master at motivating his team. His successful and winning coaching strategy is undeniable. I will wait and see what he has in mind after the Texas game, as that should be enough time to show what direction we will be going in. Anything else is pure opinion and equally biased in one form or another.GO HUSKIES!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Didn’t Geno also say that last year’s team had the worst offense he’d ever seen? Their offense was top-20. I’m taking the defense comment with a similar grain of salt.

One thing I’m sure of is that he’s having to work a lot harder to design defensive schemes for this particular group of players. I think in the end they’ll have several different looks depending on who’s in the game, how they’re playing, and the opponent.

Reaction Score
Suspect Geno's comment relates to the lack of ONO defending bigs and blocking shots. If the many foot, ankle, hip etc. injuries of the current players are fully healed, we should be OK.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No Ambiguity in Geno's meaning

Other than Nika and Aubrey, we don't have any defenisve ball hawks and both of those players have potential issues

1) Nika probably can't play as aggressively as she and Coach would like since she cant lbe off the court as our premier (get the players where they need to be) PG due to over zealous fouls.

2) Aubrey may have some injury residue affecting minutes and even with the most rosy scenario, her minutes will depend on how well she flows in the offense.

Without a few ball hawks, we need to be top notch as a team defense which requires alot of communication and they are no where near that currently. Geno has said he is putting more time into offense first and then with that side stabilized, incrementally try to get better defensively.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some notes from what Geno once said at a coach's clinic. Several years ago I think but I bet still relevant today. Probably less important now with practice players but he stresses offense first. The defense always seems to improve as the season progresses.

He used to take the first two weeks of practice and do only defense because that is the way it was done when he played. Then he would install his offense and it would look terrible against a defense that was 2 weeks ahead of it and they players would then doubt his offense. Now he takes the first two weeks and does nothing but offense. Players are then confident that they can score on anyone, and defense has to play against really good offense so it gets better in a hurry.

Reaction Score
In what game, regulation, scrimmage,practice,international, alternative dimension, interplanatery has DeBerry been a "proven rim protector"?The answer ,wait for it / none .

sun

Reaction Score
In what game, regulation, scrimmage,practice,international, alternative dimension, interplanatery has DeBerry been a "proven rim protector"?The answer ,wait for it / none .
Amari blocked 4 shots in 5 minutes playing against Xavier on 1/15/22.
1 block was in the restricted zone, 1 block was a step outside the restricted zone, 1 block was in the paint and1 block was just outside the paint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been following UConn since the early 90's. I can't recall Geno EVER being happy about the team defense. So, I take any comments like that with a boulder of salt. Remember when Lobo was the worst center in the country? And how many very good UConn players couldn't guard a chair?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've been following UConn since the early 90's. I can't recall Geno EVER being happy about the team defense. So, I take any comments like that with a boulder of salt. Remember when Lobo was the worst center in the country? And how many very good UConn players couldn't guard a chair?
I don't understand why so many want to read some hidden meaning in his words. He is very forth right on team development. Yes, he will embellish for effect and use tons of sarcasm but he always gives praise when earned. Otherwise, Geno would not be praising the shooting ability of the current team.

Reaction Score
The blocked shots came in garbage time . playing against bench dwellers. That hardly qualifies her as a rim protector.

sun

Reaction Score
The blocked shots came in garbage time . playing against bench dwellers. That hardly qualifies her as a rim protector.
The first block that Amari made was an attempt by 6'6" center Megan Harkey, a sophomore at the time.
Harkey's HS team had a record of 81-10 over 3 years, won 2 state championships and 3 conference championships.
Of course Amari's blocks came during garbage time, that's when she was allowed to play.
Would you rather see a UConn starter get injured playing during garbage time?
At 6'5", Amari didn't need to be a McDonald's All American to be a rim protector but she was one in 2021.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’ve read every comment in this thread. Some very legitimate concerns have been expressed. IMO, I think before we continue any serious talk about winning a championship this year, we can’t get ahead of ourselves.

We know this team can score. The big question is can/will this team play defense well enough against the elite teams to seriously contend for a championship?

Let’s start by winning our games in November first. We play enough top-ranked teams to know how good we are, or need to be going forward after playing them. Some of the teams we play in the next two months are teams we may see again in March. First things first. Win some games against ranked teams before putting us in the final four. There are still too many unknowns about who can be depended on to do what.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m very interested in seeing our team defense and the average score of our opponents for the first 7 games.

Reaction Score
More and more it looks like we are only going to go as far as Ayanna can help take us. I know that sounds crazy but she may be the variable that enables us to be a championship game team. That is a lot to expect from her but it’s possible she can provide the defense and tebounding needed to compete at that level.
Im afraid if were relying on a freshmen to take us as far as possible we wont be going pretty far.

Reaction Score
Anyone go back to review Geno's comments in the 2016-2017 preseason after losing the big 3? I imagine he had similar evaluations and how did that turn out?
No more championships ? Sorry i may be confused on what answer you are looking for here ?

Reaction Score
Don't be too sure about that. ;) I'm feeling you on this take. Any team wanting to defeat South Carolina (and THAT is our goal anytime we see them) has got to keep Aliyah Boston (the 2021-22 national POY) off the offensive boards.....PERIOD!!! :mad: She gets way too many cheap and easy offensive rebounds/put backs.
Agreed , Boston , Saxton , Cardoso , Beal , Amihere destroyed us in the national title game on the boards. We need more than AP to win that battle i feel.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Agreed , Boston , Saxton , Cardoso , Beal , Amihere destroyed us in the national title game on the boards. We need more than AP to win that battle i feel.
It will have to be a “group” effort. No single UConn player can do it alone.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno recruited Amari for a reason. Let’s hold off on the “snarkism” until we have an opportunity to see how well she’s progressed after spending the entire summer in Storrs working with Andrea Hudy & Jamelle Elliott.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
No more championships ? Sorry i may be confused on what answer you are looking for here ?
I was referring to the 2016-2017 preseason comments that may have been made by Geno and how they may have been related to the comments in the OP article.

Reaction Score
I’m very interested in seeing our team defense and the average score of our opponents for the first 7 games.
1) Unlike football, we can’t send one set of 5 out for offense and a different 5 out for defense.
We know that some can be prolific scorers and shooters and some can be lockdown defenders and shot blockers.
Guess Geno & company will have to explain to everyone that they will just have to do both.
At the risk of being repetitive:
Every point we keep the opposition from scoring is as good as one we score ourselves.
As much fun as it would be to see Ayanna dunk, I would prefer she keep quick guards from getting to the rim
If Nika can continue to be the hellhound on “D”, and healthy Azzi & Caroline & Lou2 can put up some extra shots that go in, we’ll be ok.
Let’s see if we can keep Kutztown out of the paint and then worry about the rest when the time comes.
I think we STILL have enough talent to get the job done provided we don’t get out worked.
Much as we want the 38 point romps, let’s see what some of the rookies do when it counts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom