Defense lagging | The Boneyard

Defense lagging

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure if I completely buy Geno’s comment. Do we really believe that UConn “stinks” defensively, or is it more likely that the Huskies are a work in progress as the team adjusts to playing without Liv, Christyn, Evina & Paige?

Reaction Score
I'm not buying it. Geno always leads us to believe this. I think our standard of defensive play is so high here, that "good or average" vs our typical "stellar" leads him to these snarky little antidotes. Post play will most definitely be the challenge. While MANY in this forum only harped on her shortcomings or average games, not having ONO is going to be HUGE.

Reaction Score
Look, Geno sees a couple of missed switches, slides or sags in a session and he’ll cry that “The Sister’s of the Blind” are gonna score 120 on us.
Three seniors gone.
Will take a little time to blend together.
They’ll get it.
Not a concern for me
I WANT REBOUNDS.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Look, Geno sees a couple of missed switches, slides or sags in a session and he’ll cry that “The Sister’s of the Blind” are gonna score 120 on us.
Three seniors gone.
Will take a little time to blend together.
They’ll get it.
Not a concern for me
I WANT REBOUNDS.
You don't think more rebounds is included in playing better defense?

Reaction Score
Liv was an anchor in the middle who could deter teams from driving to the hoop. We need to adjust to that and keep players infront of us. Its a work in progress. With Nika , Aubrey, Aaliyah, Caroline and Azzi we would be OK except for dominate bigs like Boston.

Reaction Score
Dorka and Amari are proven “rim protectors.” I think we got this end of things covered. We also have plenty of muscle in Aaliyah Ayanna Aubrey. The talent is there. It’s just a matter of playing to their potential.

Reaction Score
Dorka and Amari are proven “rim protectors.” I think we got this end of things covered. We also have plenty of muscle in Aaliyah Ayanna Aubrey. The talent is there. It’s just a matter of playing to their potential.
Thanks for the chuckle. Proven where? In Jr. High?

Reaction Score
It is good that they had the scrimmage against UMass. Like Coach said, it is a chance to see what you can work on. I also agree with Coach when he said that the team is going to take a minute to gel with each other. This was their first "game" against someone other than going against each other in practice sessions. They will adjust and get better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari hasn’t blocked many shots in college, it’s true. But Dorka has, though not quite at Liv’s rate. If you doubt it, watch the second half of the Marquette game in February. You know who else blocks shots really well? Caroline.
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Dorka had 17 blocks on the season last year. That was the same amount as Azzi Fudd and nobody confuses Azzi with being a rim protector. If UCONN is going to have a rim protector this season my bet would be on Patterson.

Reaction Score
There may be defensive questions, but assuming both Aubrey and Ayanna start the game on the bench, Geno has a couple of strategic options he could insert to change the game, or send a message to the starters who were not getting it done on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Dorka had 17 blocks on the season last year. That was the same amount as Azzi Fudd and nobody confuses Azzi with being a rim protector. If UCONN is going to have a rim protector this season my bet would be on Patterson.
It’s the old hippopotamus repellent joke — “You don’t see any hippos around here, do you? It must be working.”

262 blocks vs 98 blocks — Dorka is clearly more of a deterrent than Liv was.

Reaction Score
You don't think more rebounds is included in playing better defense?
Yes I do-
But on the other end I want more put backs and second chances. Lack of this buried us against one particular team, more than once.
Nothing demoralizes (or tires) an opponent more than running a set, taking the shot, getting the rebound, putting it back for a score, or kicking it out and running another set.
Playing good defense takes a lot of energy, keeping the ball on your end drains your opponent.
I know you know the above, so I’m not preaching to the choir.
Just believe that with the size this team has, it is the most direct line to a Championship.

Reaction Score
Amari hasn’t blocked many shots in college, it’s true. But Dorka has, though not quite at Liv’s rate. If you doubt it, watch the second half of the Marquette game in February. You know who else blocks shots really well? Caroline.
Yes, she's a beast in there. She had the same number of blocks as Fudd (17) in 7 more games at 6-5. And Ducharme had 2 less than the "crippled" Fudd in 6 more games. Looks like Fudd will be the "rim protector" this year in addition to having to be the main scorer.

Reaction Score
More and more it looks like we are only going to go as far as Ayanna can help take us. I know that sounds crazy but she may be the variable that enables us to be a championship game team. That is a lot to expect from her but it’s possible she can provide the defense and tebounding needed to compete at that level.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Anyone go back to review Geno's comments in the 2016-2017 preseason after losing the big 3? I imagine he had similar evaluations and how did that turn out?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm not buying it. Geno always leads us to believe this. I think our standard of defensive play is so high here, that "good or average" vs our typical "stellar" leads him to these snarky little antidotes. Post play will most definitely be the challenge. While MANY in this forum only harped on her shortcomings or average games, not having ONO is going to be HUGE.
Me either. I think Geno is trying to blow a little "smoke" up our sleeves. Individually, the anticipated players in the stating unit are all pretty decent defenders. They should be decent as a group, and take some pride in their defense. Not having ONO now is an adjustment that must and will be made. I think Ice Brady may be our next post player for the next 4 years. That is why I was devastated to learn she went down for the season. She would have gained valuable experience this year.

I have not given up on DeBerry. Not by a long shot. DeBerry can also claim that role for herself by simply taking it. Geno is looking for someone that wants to be the team's post for this year. The "help wanted" sign is still hanging in his office window. For me one game is not necessarily enough to evaluate someone.......unless they have a phenomenal (career numbers type) game.

Anyone can have a bad game, especially if it's their first. We'll know to what to expect from DeBerry for the next month by the time they return from their west coast trip to Oregon. I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. I want to see Amari play!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
More and more it looks like we are only going to go as far as Ayanna can help take us. I know that sounds crazy but she may be the variable that enables us to be a championship game team. That is a lot to expect from her but it’s possible she can provide the defense and the bounding needed to compete at that level.
In a video earlier this year that featured Ayanna, it was said that she can defend 1-5. That may be so at the high school level, but I doubt it's the case at THIS level. If she can, great. I'd settle for 3-5. If she can become a "shut-down" defender, even better. At 6'2", she's long and if she's quick enough, could be a nightmare for opponents. I would like to she her develop into a taller version of 5'11" Gabby Williams. Her stock would shoot through the roof if that happens. Every team should have one. IF she and Aubrey could assume that role, great!!! If you can handcuff your opponent's best scorer, that's half the battle right there. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes I do-
But on the other end I want more put backs and second chances. Lack of this buried us against one particular team, more than once.
Nothing demoralizes (or tires) an opponent more than running a set, taking the shot, getting the rebound, putting it back for a score, or kicking it out and running another set.
Playing good defense takes a lot of energy, keeping the ball on your end drains your opponent.
I know you know the above, so I’m not preaching to the choir.
Just believe that with the size this team has, it is the most direct line to a Championship.
Don't be too sure about that. ;) I'm feeling you on this take. Any team wanting to defeat South Carolina (and THAT is our goal anytime we see them) has got to keep Aliyah Boston (the 2021-22 national POY) off the offensive boards.....PERIOD!!! :mad: She gets way too many cheap and easy offensive rebounds/put backs.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom