Defending The Three.... Again.... | The Boneyard

Defending The Three.... Again....

Reaction Score
A lot of talk recently before the DePaul game about defending the three. A couple here, one Juicy Landrum of Baylor has set the new NCAA record for 3s, and two is Baylor the new bad for women's basketball team beating Arkansas State by 68?
Baylor's Landrum Hits NCAA-Record 14 Threes

I don't think she will do anything like this with us but an impressive feat nonetheless as she also found time for 7 assists in 33 minutes. Here's the box.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, we better be ready for WCBB's best 3 point sniper Taylor Robertson averaging over 5 made 3 pt shots per game at 49% accuracy. And the Okies have some big bodies to set screens

Reaction Score
Well, we better be ready for WCBB's best 3 point sniper Taylor Robertson averaging over 5 made 3 pt shots per game at 49% accuracy. And the Okies have some big bodies to set screens
I hope Anna is able to show her shooting skills that we have seen glimpses of and matches her 3 for 3....

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Juicy Landrum for setting the NCAA record. However, a part of me is wondering why Juicy played 33 minutes and chucked up 24 3-point attempts in a 68 point blowout. I'm sure Mulkey left her in there so she COULD set the record, but considering the opponent and the score, in my opinion, that's kinda bush league. If I was the other coach, I would NOT have been happy.... I mean, 24 3's in an epic blowout? Come on, man!

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Juicy Landrum for setting the NCAA record. However, a part of me is wondering why Juicy played 33 minutes and chucked up 24 3-point attempts in a 68 point blowout. I'm sure Mulkey left her in there so she COULD set the record, but considering the opponent and the score, in my opinion, that's kinda bush league. If I was the other coach, I would NOT have been happy.... I mean, 24 3's in an epic blowout? Come on, man!
I congratulate her on the feat. But the reaction as if they won at the buzzer in front of those poor kids on the opposing team kind shows a lack of sportsmanship from Mulkeys team especially since it was low quality opponent. I don’t believe Geno would ever do that or let that type of sportsmanship happen on the court.

Reaction Score
I remember Lou doing that, but I can't remember what game it was. My guess is it wasn't a 68 point blowout. Landrum should never have played 33 minutes. Mulkey is all about the records and Baylor accolades, though. Is there anything more disrespectful than allowing one of your players to jack up 24 3-pointers up 60+ points against an obviously far inferior team, just to set a record? Geno would never humiliate a team like that. The only time I saw him WANT to humiliate an opponent was that game against Syracuse years ago when they were playing really dirty. Geno never called off the dogs and I think we hung 106 points on them. If memory serves (and it doesn't serve all that well these days), Maya had about 40 points and made 10 3-pointers.

While Juicy should be recognized for her feat, there are many good 3-point shooters in the country that could knock down 14 3's if given the opportunity to attempt 24 of them and play 33 minutes against a cupcake.

Reaction Score
Yawn....

a. Landrum made 14 out of 24 three point shots taken... that's 58%...but it pales when compared to 10 for 10... or 100% made by a UCONN Husky a few years ago. MOST players in NCAA WBB don't get a chance to put up 24 shots in a game...but she got that many in 33 minutes of playing time?? WOW... throw em up.

b. Baylor has 11 players on their roster... I hope that 2 were injured or sick... because Baylor only played 9 players in a 68 point blow out win???????? Perhaps they were going for style points like NCAA Football?

EDIT: Just saw the highlights of Landrum's 14 made 3s... for the vast majority of the shot she was wide open...no defender in the same zip code. A good shooter will make them under this lack of defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure Mulkey left her in there so she COULD set the record, but considering the opponent and the score, in my opinion, that's kinda bush league.
To your point....
Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey added: "When you're feeling it as a shooter, you're feeling it. I went in at halftime and I told them, 'If you get a chance, let Juicy break the record today.' Well, I was talking about the Baylor record. ... It just kept building. ... It's just a joy to watch teammates be happy for each other."
Landrum set the Baylor single-game record when she hit her 10th three in the third quarter:

Not a good one for Kim here, no problem if they were playing a more formidable opponent.

Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey shows her true colors by allowing her to do it. She played 33 minutes and jacked up 23 3-pointers in a game they won by 68 points. Clearly, Mulkey left her in the game so she COULD set the record, showing complete and utter disrespect for their opponent. Real classy, Kim! Nice to see you put aside sportsmanship in favor of running Baylor's flag up the flagpole so you get the attention. I can't even imagine how the other coach and players felt. Baylor was up 58-19 at the half. Juicy had 5 3's at halftime. It was 85-35 after the 3rd quarter, yet Juicy was still in the game in the 4th, taking 7 more 3-point attempts and making 3 of them. Her last 3-pointer was taken with 2:01 left in the 4th quarter. The score was 107-40. Absoluetly shameful, in my opinion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am also hoping that Anna becomes more comfortable shooting each game. I just love watching her when she’s in the game. If you notice she really plays hard! Just love that girl!
Before I make my comment about what you posted I just wanted to say something to the posters down on Kim for allowing what she did... and to bring it back to Geno...

He's NEVER been about individual accolades with the exception of players becoming AA's. He has always told great players that they can become the best while at UCONN, and I know he discusses individual goals, but it's never about statistics. It's all about the TEAM. He's been consistent on that since he started coaching.

So my point is I find it highly unlikely (and agree), he'd never let a kid do what Juicy did ESPECIALLY against a severely over-matched opponent. I agree - poor sportsmanship by the coach IMHO.

As for Anna - I watch her a lot when she's on the floor. She doesn't do any one thing GREAT (except maybe see the floor and pass), but she does almost everything really well.

She reminds me of Morgan Tuck - not the same kind of player, as Tuck was a forward and Anna is a guard/wing, but Tuck would never wow you with flashy plays. She would just go out there and be all around solid and awesome. That's what Anna reminds me of...

Reaction Score
I am also hoping that Anna becomes more comfortable shooting each game. I just love watching her when she’s in the game. If you notice she really plays hard! Just love that girl!

After a dreadful start to the season, Makurat has shot the ball very well (.50 fg% and .54 3pt%) over the past 4 games.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I understand how this “looks bad” for Mulkey in any way. We all remember/know the infamous layup Geno got approved so Nykesha Sales could break the UConn scoring record at the time. We all remember the triple doubles where Geno left a player in against a weaker opponent so they could get the final stats needed to complete it, and we all remember KLS’s game against USF in the AAC Tournament back in 2017 where she played 28 minutes in a 100-44 blowout scoring 40 points on 10-10 3pfg.

Kiah Stokes’ performance is easily the best since it came in 22 minutes, but still a lesser opponent (East Carolina).The other instances were 30+ minutes in blowouts against weak opponents and KLS’s performance was in 28 minutes against a decent (definitely better than whoever it was Baylor slaughtered during Landrum’s record performance). Main point being that a coach usually wants their players to feel good and break records that are within their grasp. Mulkey letting Landrum play to beat the record just shows she cares more about her players than the game/opponent she’s playing against. That’s important since a team shouldn’t be expected to take it easy on lesser opponents.

https://uconn_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/012417.html

https://uconn_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/1120ore.html

https://uconn_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/032514.html

https://uconn_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/gm20ecu.html

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I understand how this “looks bad” for Mulkey in any way. We all remember/know the infamous layup Geno got approved so Nykesha Sales could break the UConn scoring record at the time. We all remember the triple doubles where Geno left a player in against a weaker opponent so they could get the final stats needed to complete it, and we all remember KLS’s game against USF in the AAC Tournament back in 2017 where she played 28 minutes in a 100-44 blowout scoring 40 points on 10-10 3pfg.

I don't find your comparisons and reasoning convincing. The Sales record was worked out in cooperation with the other team and had absolutely nothing to do with the game's outcome or running up the score against an over matched opponent. As for Lou, it was a tournament game against the second best team in the conference, not a team ranked 300+ early in the season. And Lou took 10 shots, not 24. What was she to do, shoot left-handed. And even then, she sat out the 4th quarter. I don't see how these examples are in any way comparable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Landrum made her last 2 3pt shots at the 3:02 and 2:01 mark of the 4th quarter. The score at the time was 104-40 and 107-40.

Reaction Score
Why is it that players who have never hit a 3 in their life, or who shoot 20%, seem to hit everything against UConn? I've seen it many times. Maybe they're just jacked to be playing the best college team in the history of the game.

Reaction Score
UConn has been accused of rubbing it in, but there were times when they had so few players that some starters were playing at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
"Becomes more comfortable?" Over the past 4+ games, Anna has been a solid 3 point shooter. She is there today.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mic drop....
giphy.gif

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Minus those 24 3's, it was a pretty close game. Baylor's victory margin would have been only 4 points. No wonder Kim kept the metal to the pedal! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Anyone know the record of most 3-point shots attempted? Twenty four must be on the top ten list. I hope she makes 38 attempts against UCONN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That Arkansas St. coach should also be sued for malpractice. That passive 2 X 3 zone which allowed Juicy those 23 shot attempts from deep was executed at half speed. I'm being way generous because it's almost Christmas.

Reaction Score
HopJim you misinterpreted my post. As Anna becomes more comfortable with UCONN’S
system of play she will be shooting more and thus more comfortable”. As I have posted many times I just love her game and it will only
get “more comfortable”. Can’t wait until Sunday’s game. Cheers to all!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom