Defending the option | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Defending the option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We were sitting at the game watching the defense get gashed and said the SAME thing. Why in the world were the safeties playing so far off the line of Scrimmage??!! MAKE them throw to beat you. The ends and the LBs also did a horrible job on containment.

Reaction Score
Tackles take the dive with help from Lbs, DEs take qb, CBs take pitchman. On a play by play basis our assignments look like crap.

Funny thing is, our CB's were nowhere near the pitch men at any point. Nobody back there could get off blocks to save their lives, and the defense got exploited on the outside all day. It was like watching someone play Madden on 'rookie' against our defense.

Reaction Score
terrible D against the most predictable offense we've ever played against. and on offense, I hope Tim Boyle starts next game over Chandler Whitmer. that INT was a rookie decision, still shaking my head. Whitmer is a good guy, but not the best QB for us to win games
I thought the int was more on the receiver. The receiver originally had position. The Army DB was aggressive going after the ball while the receiver was passively awaiting the balls arrival. The receivers need to attack the ball. I am afraid Boyle is not the savior. Hopefully someone we bring in next year is.

Reaction Score
I thought the int was more on the receiver. The receiver originally had position. The Army DB was aggressive going after the ball while the receiver was passively awaiting the balls arrival. The receivers need to attack the ball. I am afraid Boyle is not the savior. Hopefully someone we bring in next year is.
Watch again. There was at LEAST double coverage on that play. The first DB was being physical with the WR trying to knock him off his route. As per usual, Whitmer had locked onto a WR and was gong there with the ball come hell or high water. The second DB simply stepped in front of the play and had a clear path to the endzone. Had he glanced to the middle of the field he had the TE/Bloom? One on one against a smaller guy, or he could have thrown the ball away. Instead we got heartbreak city. A little part of me died on that play. After the plays whitmer made on that drive and the previous one, I didn't think he would make a throw like that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Army had tried to run a halfback pass option out of their triple option (which I am going to guess happens about once a year), those deep safeties would have kept the play to 15 yards. About the same as they were keeping Army's runs to by standing so far off the line.

Reaction Score
Maybe not an apples to apples comparison ... but I'm pretty sure VaTech uses a 2 deep whenever they play GaTech. Of course they see it every year too ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom