Deeper than Coaching or Talent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Deeper than Coaching or Talent

Reaction Score
I was sitting Row A courtside yesterday and the difference in size between our guys and USF is very evident. When you then add that they are also faster it’s scary!
Still boys vs. Men. We need some real testosterone in there.

Reaction Score
I think the first year of a coach the recruits ignore the record and focus on immediate playing time and something new. In hindsight, Danny should have had some frank conversations when he came in April and stacked up with grad transfers for a year and had a 5 man class after his first season.
I don’t hear any more talk about a 10 man rotation when we really have maybe a 3-4 man rotation.
My question is. Is he losing his team? I see so much mirroring to the end of the ‘17 season prior to the exodus.

Reaction Score
I will not judge Hurley until after next year. And my prediction for this year was over 500 was the goal.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
This season was going “fine” until the last two games and even a win today could have kept the season afloat. The last two losses were just too much for a ridiculously bad for such a mentally weak team. [/QUOTE said:
Two losses too much for mentally weak fans, too

Reaction Score
I also think a KO legacy was the NCAA and school investigations that raised the Compliance bar so high, it has been very difficult to compete at recruiting like we need to. Some stuff Calhoun would do without a blink of an eye are off limits now.

You are spot on with assessment Chief and if we want the program back where it was, the recruiting handcuffs will need to come off.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I don’t know, but hope he is losing part of this team.

I dont necessarily think Hurley is losing the team per say, i think players are growing more and more frustrated with each other. Akok looked visibly frustrated multiple times yesterday during the game with how his teammates were playing. It doesnt really feel like players compliment one another. Like Polley would be great on a team that already had good scoring but wanted a 3 point threat, not a team that is desperate for any sort of offense or scoring and is looking for someone to create their own shots. Vital is a good complimentary player but isnt the type of person that's going to do all your scoring consistently. I think we have a mish mosh gang.

Reaction Score
I feel you on this. Something changed. It doesn't feel like the same program anymore.

It's not just about the wins/losses. The vibe is different. It's really hard to explain.

exactly. I left my house at the 8 minute mark and went to the grocery store. I did listen to the rest of it but figured it was a waste of my time to keep watching.

Reaction Score
If there's a way to look for guys who might be a little undersized but play like they have huge chips on their shoulders, I'd hope Hurley is looking at those players too. Not just the best athletes or tallest players on the recruiting trail.
I'd like to think he is, he's been successful everywhere he's been.

I assume he picks the brain of his father but hopefully he still reaches out to Calhoun as well for feedback during tough times. He's got elite resources at his fingertips.

It will turn around, just requires patience.

Reaction Score
I disagree. DH hasn’t been given much to work with. Some can put the blame on him, but only to a degree. We are soft. No argument there. There’s no on court leadership at all because we have no one to lead us with a winning mentality. Until we achieve a winning mentality we will keep getting spanked.

We won the first NC with a guard that was constantly criticized for his offense but was tough. We don't have a tough point guard right now and by tough I mean one who doesn't get down on himself or the team when things aren't going well, like Taliek.
We don't know if Gaffney can be that kind of guy. People have mentioned Hassan Diara as that kind of guy but that ship has sailed. Let's hope he wasn't an overlooked local gem like Yetna turned out to be.

Reaction Score
If there's a way to look for guys who might be a little undersized but play like they have huge chips on their shoulders, I'd hope Hurley is looking at those players too. Not just the best athletes or tallest players on the recruiting trail.

I assume he picks the brain of his father but hopefully he still reaches out to Calhoun as well for feedback during tough times. He's got elite resources at his fingertips.

That was Calipari's system for roster building in his early days at UMass. Undersized guys that wanted to prove to the Big East teams that they overlooked the wrong guys, but we shouldn't focus on that approach because we already have a brand and don't need to build one.

However, I hope we don't pass up the next Khalid, Shabazz or Boatright because they don't fit some 6'2" or better requirement for picking a point guard, or a weight limit that would have kept Khalid off the team.

Reaction Score

We have one of those in Vital. We need much tougher players but it has to be in a really talented package.

Reaction Score
I was sitting Row A courtside yesterday and the difference in size between our guys and USF is very evident. When you then add that they are also faster it’s scary!
We had the size and speed to beat Florida and take Xavier to the deep water, but not enough to get within 15 points of USF........Ok

Reaction Score
We won the first NC with a guard that was constantly criticized for his offense but was tough. We don't have a tough point guard right now and by tough I mean one who doesn't get down on himself or the team when things aren't going well, like Taliek.
We don't know if Gaffney can be that kind of guy. People have mentioned Hassan Diara as that kind of guy but that ship has sailed. Let's hope he wasn't an overlooked local gem like Yetna turned out to be.

I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on Hassan Diarra at A&M. I’ve always liked the way Buzz recruits and his teams style of play. Not playing well this year but I’m sure they’ll bounce back. I get why UConn didn’t recruit him but not keeping in state talent whose a top 70 recruit is always risky. Wish the kid well and hope he plays well, seems like a good kid and a winner.

Reaction Score
I disagree. DH hasn’t been given much to work with. Some can put the blame on him, but only to a degree. We are soft. No argument there. There’s no on court leadership at all because we have no one to lead us with a winning mentality. Until we achieve a winning mentality we will keep getting spanked.

We won the first NC with a guard that was constantly criticized for his offense but was tough. We don't have a tough point guard right now and by tough I mean one who doesn't get down on himself when things aren't going well.

Reaction Score
Hurley isn’t doing a lot of coaching , his sets has no purpose... we got schooled by USF, they ran us out the gym .... we can have all the 4 stars but if he not using them the right way it’s pointless, which gonna result to a long season of headaches

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom