Deeper than Coaching or Talent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Deeper than Coaching or Talent

Reaction Score
I have been a Uconn fan since the mid 80’s and graduated Uconn in 1998. I have lived and died with this team for years. I have seen plenty of bad teams but was always confident on the turnaround because of the foundation that was built. And when Calhoun left I felt ok because of that foundation.

We all know Hurley can coach and we all know there is enough talent on the team to be competitive. This is not the ACC folks. Losing to South Florida is unacceptable. There is a deeper problem within the program. Something happened where Ollie messed things up so bad internally that it broke the foundation. You can bring Rick Pitino in here and all the talent in the world, but it won’t change anything unless the foundation of the program is repaired and the culture is changed. And by culture, I just don’t mean new players and coaches vision. It’s everything built behind the scenes by Calhoun and the administration and the moxie and brazenness of the Uconn brand on the shirts. We use to have teams on their heels from the opening tip because of the name on our shirts...no matter what arena we went to. Now we lose at South Florida, Tulsa, SMU, Houston , UCF? Seriously? We have lost our stripes.

I knew something was amiss when we opened with those 2 home losses to Wagner and Notheastern in Ollie’s 5th year. That was something I had never seen. No passion, no fight, no preparation. What happened? That was the domino for me. We have not recovered from the opening 2 games of 2016.

Everyone can’t wait for the new recruits next year, or the pipeline that could be open when we join the Big East. Unless Hurley and the athletic department fixes what has been broken behind the scenes, we’ll keep going 16-18.
FOH

Reaction Score
I also think a KO legacy was the NCAA and school investigations that raised the Compliance bar so high, it has been very difficult to compete at recruiting like we need to. Some stuff Calhoun would do without a blink of an eye are off limits now.
Now that we have you. What are your thoughts as things stand right now?

C

Chief00

That's crap. Aren't you the same guy who has been lauding Hurley's recruiting? There's talent on the roster. Just need to get the old guys off the roster and keep filling it with talent like the last 2 years. And maybe get some tougher players.
No it’s not. Add Kofi (Illinois) and Precious (Memphis) and it’s a different story. Perhaps, even one out of the two. I am not criticizing Danny’s recruiting but rather the limitations we have put on it using unreal purity standards. Precious and Kofi did not go to blue blood schools. There are other factors at play.

Reaction Score
No it’s not. Add Kofi (Illinois) and Precious (Memphis) and it’s a different story. Perhaps, even one out of the two. You have to be more astute. I am not criticizing Danny’s recruiting but rather the limitations we have put on it using unreal purity standards. Precious and Kofi did not go to blue blood schools. There are other factors at play.
Well you never get all the recruits you go after. Are you saying that if UConn had handed over bags of cash to Kofi and Precious they would have landed both of them?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is the argument today that every single player recruited prior to last year is completely toxic and the coach, almost two full years into his tenure, bears no responsibility?

C

Chief00

Now that we have you. What are your thoughts as things stand right now?
Has AZ stopped doing what they have been doing? LSU? Louisville? Auburn? UNC? Etc.
Schools out on The Grind have made the calculation the risks are worth taking. We have failed to make that calculation.
Do you think the Illinois assistant coach, who had the relationship and history recruiting a certain way, was brought in for his X’s and O’s?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Well you never get all the recruits you go after. Are you saying that if UConn had handed over bags of cash to Kofi and Precious they would have landed both of them?
There are more nuisance ways to accomplished things. But, to theoretically answer your question - of course. I think with Precious the lure was playing with Wiseman and the evidence is already recorded on Wiseman.

Reaction Score
The problem with replacing the old with the new is that the new are around the old and learning from them. I agree it’s the only way to change things but I am worried it’s gonna take a special special group to break this cycle.
It really sucks.

Reaction Score
I agree that we have folded but I can't help think that a lot of people down play the talent and physicality of the AAC and UConn has not recruited to be competitive in that style. Unfortunately, most all of college basketball in the P5 and better leagues have turned to bigger, stronger kids while UConn loves those finesse players that sway in the wind - it's not just KO, DH has been bringing in the same. 6'7" kid weighing 180 lbs is going to be at a huge disadvantage guarding a 6'7" 220 lb and that will tire him out on the offensive game and may have fouling ramifications.
The AAC has some strong physical teams and has for the past 4 years.
I wonder if they will even miss UConn starting next year except as a possible W on the schedule
He hasn't recruited to it because he's barely recruited, he kept everyone. It was a big mistake especially because he wants to play a certain style those guys aren't capable of playing.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Part of me honestly thinks we sold our soul to the devil for 2014 title.

This season was going “fine” until the last two games and even a win today could have kept the season afloat. The last two losses were just too much for a ridiculously bad for such a mentally weak team.

Now we get to play a 9:00 Wednesday game in front of 2000 people at Gampel vs a Tulane team that has to be really feeling themselves. May as well get that first Tulane loss before we leave the conference.

Reaction Score
I also think a KO legacy was the NCAA and school investigations that raised the Compliance bar so high, it has been very difficult to compete at recruiting like we need to. Some stuff Calhoun would do without a blink of an eye are off limits now.
I hope we are turning a corner in that regard??? With Hurley i assume the NCAA spotlight might be a little more dim toward us and not so bright?? I hope

Reaction Score
At some point, we have to acknowledge the possibility that the answer to what works with this crew is nothing.

Some of these players have spent three or four years being knocked flat by even the lightest breeze.

Keep replacing the old with new. That’s the only thing that will work.
Exactly. All the talk of starting lineup changes and things like that just seem like reshuffling the same deck of cards.

Reaction Score
Winning/losing is a combo effort by the coach and players with some game luck, refereeing thrown in; playing like this in game 13 of the season is on the coach.

Throw these last two games in with Ollie's last year and you would be hard pressed to say these two weren't two of the poorest played and poorest coached games of the lot.

Tentative play like this means either he has lost the team or the team is confused as to who should do what/go where/ at what time; or both. It can't be so simple as just pressure UConn and they fold, can it?

Play like this and could pull a HCRE2.0 "0 for the AAC" (hard to do in basketball but you get the idea).

UConn could/should be a dog on the 8th at home to Tulane! 1st year coach with mostly a new team and they just beat Cincinnati!

How about run a defense that keeps Carlton near basket (even if it means some zone) and an offense that MOVES the ball to MOVING players.

Reaction Score
This board seriously overreacts, which is understandable given how we went from one of the most successful programs in the country the last couple decades to where we have been the last 5 seasons, but the sky is not falling. Were those 2 really bad losses? Yes, well at least the S Florida was, but Hurley said it himself, he knew this was a bs way to start conference play with no true road games yet this season. We all know this team is INCREDIBLY mentally weak (at least the upperclassmen) and that's not something he can change overnight. Starting conference play with 2 road games was an absolutely brutal way to start. I said in a previous post that I was worried we would go 3-5 at best to start this 8 game stretch in January, and people were saying I was nuts and under confident. It's because this team is far away from where they need to be mentally, but they still are IMPROVED from last season. Would I be surprised if we came home and beat Tulane and Wichita? Absolutely not. And if we do, we are right back on track and can make up for that the S Florida loss that we should have won.
Give DH time, he took an incredibly difficult situation and so far hes doing really well with what he has. This season will be full of ups and downs but we still have a chance to right the ship.

Reaction Score
The program was in worse shape than most thought (including myself). It appears that KO ran it into the ground completely. Additionally, while DH is a very good coach at this time, this is a much bigger rebuilding project than he has had in the past.

I would argue Danny’s previous jobs were more of “builds” than “rebuilds” which is what makes our situation so much more difficult. We are a program with a pedigree and fans understandably always have high expectations and both players and coaches come under fire quickly. But the fact is that right now our talent level is fairly low and our players don’t mesh together well. I understand being disappointed, pissed, etc because the performances have been poor but I think next year will be a better indicator of where the program is really at.

Reaction Score
Has AZ stopped doing what they have been doing? LSU? Louisville? Auburn? UNC? Etc.
Schools out on The Grind have made the calculation the risks are worth taking. We have failed to make that calculation.
Do you think the Illinois assistant coach, who had the relationship and history recruiting a certain way, was brought in for his X’s and O’s?
I feel you and the cards are certainly stacked against us so long as we want to play the moral high ground. But aside from that I am more curious on your thoughts inside our current situation and overall state of our UCONN Union. Is the Union strong??

Reaction Score
He hasn't recruited to it because he's barely recruited, he kept everyone. It was a big mistake especially because he wants to play a certain style those guys aren't capable of playing.
Exactly. We should be pressing more and playing zone d and find 2 guys ( Polley and Bouknight) to set screen after screen for while allowing aa to roll out or in. Pretty simple more motion less iso. . Plan for the team you have. They will perform better and more confidently

Reaction Score
I would argue Danny’s previous jobs were more of “builds” than “rebuilds” which is what makes our situation so much more difficult. We are a program with a pedigree and fans understandably always have high expectations and both players and coaches come under fire quickly. But the fact is that right now our talent level is fairly low and our players don’t mesh together well. I understand being disappointed, pissed, etc because the performances have been poor but I think next year will be a better indicator of where the program is really at.
Rough indicator considering the upgrade in competition.

C

Chief00

Part of me honestly thinks we sold our soul to the devil for 2014 title.

This season was going “fine” until the last two games and even a win today could have kept the season afloat. The last two losses were just too much for a ridiculously bad for such a mentally weak team.

Now we get to play a 9:00 Wednesday game in front of 2000 people at Gampel vs a Tulane team that has to be really feeling themselves. May as well get that first Tulane loss before we leave the conference.
I know we are suppose to blame the TV contracts. But, when UConn has so badly under leveraged their relationship with the over the hill political hacks at CRDA, that we can’t even get at least the right location for this game - it’s a concern.

C

Chief00

I feel you and the cards are certainly stacked against us so long as we want to play the moral high ground. But aside from that I am more curious on your thoughts inside our current situation and overall state of our UCONN Union. Is the Union strong??
I think the first year of a coach the recruits ignore the record and focus on immediate playing time and something new. In hindsight, Danny should have had some frank conversations when he came in April and stocked up with grad transfers for a year and had a 5 man class after his first season.
I don’t hear any more talk about a 10 man rotation when we really have maybe a 3-4 man rotation.

Reaction Score
I would love to say I am convinced DH is a great coach and recruiter but I am not. He has yet to pull in a player rated in the top 50 and this team has regressed badly. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Honestly...the team is simply not getting the execution and leadership needed from the upper classmen. I think the reason you are not getting this is because these particular players aren't high basketball IQ players. This was the situation with Jalen Adam's as talented as he was didn't have a high basketball IQ. It's something that is taken for granted. Without high basketball IQ players ar your point guard position you have no chance. Good coaches explore this weakness over and over again. High IQ guards make everyone better. We've seen this historically with UCONN guards. Coach Hurley has to take ownership of this as well bit I think the reason it feels so bad is because we don't have the high IQ players at the key point guard position. The raw talent is there. It's enough to win in the AAC. A good analogy is when a good football team loses their talented starting quarterback. When that happens a good football team starts operating like it fell off of a cliff. Their and related decision making is critical. This is a very tough situation for us and the only chance we have of salvaging the season is if the light bulb turns on for our upperclassmen particularly our guards.
Would love to have Jalen right about now.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
At some point, we have to acknowledge the possibility that the answer to what works with this crew is nothing.

Some of these players have spent three or four years being knocked flat by even the lightest breeze.

Keep replacing the old with new. That’s the only thing that will work.
I was sitting Row A courtside yesterday and the difference in size between our guys and USF is very evident. When you then add that they are also faster it’s scary!

Reaction Score
Seriously, how can a team that beat Florida and lost by 1 to Xavier in Dbl OT (both without Bouk) regress to losing to South Florida by 15? Truly an unbelievable freefall. Stating the obvious: This does not bode well for the rest of the season...

Reaction Score
I would love to say I am convinced DH is a great coach and recruiter but I am not. He has yet to pull in a player rated in the top 50 and this team has regressed badly. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out.
akok was top 50 and a 5* on some services....

most of the team sucks and the ones that don't are young. Gaffney, Bouk and Akok are all going to be very good. Vital shouldn't be a starter on a good team. Gilbert is horrendous. Carlton has been straight up terrible. Polley still can't rebound or get a bucket near the hoop. Apparently Sid Wilson doesn't practice very hard. And our backup center is Isaiah Whaley.

Most of these kids just either aren't very good or aren't ready yet. I thought we'd be better but I'm not exactly shocked that we suck again

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom